Why do people still support Bush?

sunshine

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sorry, but you have to be a real idiot or just stupid if you think Iraq will end up like Vietnam. We have already eliminated their dictator and killed his heirs. Most of the high ranking people in his regime are either captured or killed. The people in Iraq love us, I have heard some say they want Saddam back because there wasn't much crime, but they do not know anything about freedom, they haven't had true freedom before. They will certainly love us after a democratic (not party) government is established. Just because we have lost 717 men (for the USA) doesn't mean we are losing the war, or that they hate us. This is a different kind of war, one that was only fought in 1991, and even then, we didn't take over Iraq to free it.

Also, just because someone dodges the draft doesn't make them worse than another person who enlists themselves. Actions don't speak louder than personalities. In fact, I would dodge the draft, I would quickly, beyond anything, die for my country. But I am not willing to kill for it. No one deserves to die.

I dont know how the Iraqi people feel about the war, but I can see that a lot of them doesnt like America to involve there.

As for normal civilians, I dont think there is much different for them. When Saddam was there, they might get killed anytime. Now America having a war there, they will also be killed anytime either by the soldier by "mistake" or by fellow Iraqis.

As for the country itself, it was shaped up to be a dictatorship country after hundreds years of history. It should be up to them to changed their government if they do not like Saddam. I know it is almost impossible to do that, but it needs revolution. Everybody assumed that they will like the democratic society that we have here in America. Is it true? We do not really know. They have never experience stuff like that, just like KCDevin said, they do not know what to do with the "freedom".

And for Bush, did bible said it is good to have war?

Guest donaltopablo

I don't know why everyone is so hard on Kerry about his Vietnam record. Personally, I think it was one of Kerry strong points is that he did go and fight in Vietnam. I think trying to attack Kerry's Vietnam record is just an attempt to take a low blow at him when the conversatives know that security is the number one issue. And I say this even though I don't care much for Kerry.

I definitely don't think Iraq is anything like Vietnam though, and I haven't heard anything here that remotely makes me thing it is alike.

And all this mess just for privatizing Iraqi key assets for themselves and campaign contributors as the main objective as well as attempt to castrate and override OPEC as a decision making body, plus to ensure that all oil is traded in US dollars so countries would have to invest in them and help pay the US debts.

I think if treated both currencies equally as a reserve currency everybody could have won, instead of some in the administration who pursue American interests even if it's at the expense of everyone elses.

This was originally a reply to another thread, but I thought it fit better here:

Also, it isn't always the President's fault for the economy. How do you think the economy would react after switching from being mostly democratic to mostly republican? And then having the democrats constantly complain because they lost the election... In fact, I think both parties should learn that it doesn't matter what party your from, some of the best presidents were republican... Like Eisenhower, Teddy Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln. And some of the worst Presidents were Republican, like Nixon, and Hoover.

Likewise, some of the best and worst presidents were democrats...

Best like Kennedy, Truman, Franklin Roosevelt

And worst like Johnson, Clinton (IMO)...

Also, I was thinking, it's the democrats and foreign nations that are making this war sound like it is the beginning of the apocalypse. You have to consider the rest of the nation and the rest of the world along with people directly involved like the troops and iraqi's. I have not once seen or heard of a war protest yet. You know what kids are doing instead of protesting? Enlisting.

Guest donaltopablo

Marc,

I believe the last "conflict" we actually declared war is was WWII (maybe Korea). Declaring war isn't something that is done commonly these days, whther it's Vietnam, Afganistan, Iraq, Kosvo, first gulf war.

Why do you all insist on bashing ONLY Bush and the Republicans? Find something bad about Democrats and other parties. See? This is why bad things happen! The Democrats (or Republicans) bash and try to make the other party look bad, and the other party, which is in power focus' on protecting themselves from the other party, then they start ignoring or dismissing things such as terrorist threats or economic issues.

Also, you cannot blame the President for things that are happening, especially bad things.

The Civil War wasn't Abraham Lincoln's fault

The Depression wasn't Calvin Coolidge's fault

The Cuban Missile Crisis wasn't John Kennedy's fault

9/11 wasn't Clinton's nor Bush's fault

So you see, you cannot blame a president for something that has happened, even if you don't like him. Its just plain stupid.

Guest donaltopablo

Hmm. We have GW. Bush's nebulous declaration of War against Terror.

The President isn't allowed to declare war, only Congress.

As for the economy, I still don't believe the President has that much control. It hink it's foolish for him to try to take credit, but economies don't start and stop in the matter of months. Secondly, the president has very little power (other than maybe working with congress).

I'm not saying Bush couldn't have done a better job, but most of the factors in the current economy have little or nothing to do with congress or Bush, just like congress and Clinton didn't have anything to do with their success. We'll probably always disagree on this one, but Presidents and Congress rarely mess with the economy on the scale required to turn the economy one way or another.

And one other thing, war is bad for economies when they start, but great towards the end and when they are over. In fact, most of the time, throughout history, a great way to improve your economy is to win a war.

Archived