Iconic Building for the downtown Memphis Skyline?

tnse

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't get me wrong - I don't disagree with you a bit. You couldn't PAY me to live one of the suburban cities.

But on the other hand, people who make these kinds of decisions for these corporations don't see Midtown the same way you and I do. They don't seem to be wild about Midtown for anything except maybe a good music or bookstore. These people actually LIKE the suburbs because they're safer (true) the schools on average are better (also true) and taxes are lower (again true).

And actually, St. Jude has serious issues recruiting employees because of the lack of desirable housing in the area. They were the impetus in the Uptown redevelopment specifically because of the need for market-rate housing for its employees that was not in a ghetto. They also in the past have threatened to leave Memphis altogether if city leaders did not do something about their neighborhood...

I definitely think you pegged it with executive housing. Ultimately that's what it comes down to. And once DT gets some good housing stock for executives, DT's ability to attract the major corporations like FedEx will fly. That's why I think Memphis is definitely on the right track by converting so many buildings DT into housing. It definitely can't hurt.

And actually, St. Jude has serious issues recruiting employees because of the lack of desirable housing in the area. They were the impetus in the Uptown redevelopment specifically because of the need for market-rate housing for its employees that was not in a ghetto. They also in the past have threatened to leave Memphis altogether if city leaders did not do something about their neighborhood...

And I don't think we should forget that the vacating of their ancestral digs in the airport area have left that part of the city in a shape like the area surrounding St. Jude before Uptown. And their staying could easily have been an major impetus to fix the problems, as it has with St. Jude.

I've always thought FedEx corporate headquarters really cool. But it would be even cooler if you could see it out your window as you land at the airport. That would have been a very strong visual for a budding aerotropolis.

On the St. Jude area-The area around St. Jude is rather lacking in development on both the commercial and residential ends. However, isn't part of that due in regards to the "Pinch" area to land speculators buying up land and sitting on it when the Pyramid came in and keeping it out of the hands of developers who might have by now done some more productive things with it?

The residential area east of St. Judes is pretty sketchy north of Poplar. I went down Manasas this past weekend and it had a pretty rough hue to it. I did notice off to the north of the intersection of North Parkway and Danny Thomas a rather large development of newer looking apartment buildings that brought a tad of relief to thare area visually. Anybody know exactly the story behind that, is that the development where the Hurt Village used to be? Not being a local I have a hard time sometimes placing things.

On Topic - As far as iconic buildings go, I personally think the city has a host of them. Morgan Keegan is a great modern tower, the Lincoln American is a gem, the Porter Building (dating back to the 1890s) is an outstanding smaller building, the Cotton Exchange building is very unique, the Sterrick and its lost grandeur, etc. There is something to be said for the strength of the historic structures that Memphis's downtown has retained in it's skyline and urban core. It really gives Memphis a base to build that many other cities could only dream to still, or ever have, possessed.

On Topic - As far as iconic buildings go, I personally think the city has a host of them. Morgan Keegan is a great modern tower, the Lincoln American is a gem, the Porter Building (dating back to the 1890s) is an outstanding smaller building, the Cotton Exchange building is very unique, the Sterrick and its lost grandeur, etc. There is something to be said for the strength of the historic structures that Memphis's downtown has retained in it's skyline and urban core. It really gives Memphis a base to build that many other cities could only dream to still, or ever have, possessed.

Archived