PSC Metals and vicinity

reednavy05

I was pondering today while looking thru the Tennessean's archives, the PSC Metals site adjacent to the river, I-24, and LP Field. This site has much potential to bo had if or when its is sold, that whole super block could be dynamicaly transformed into something that no other site in Nashville can offer. I know of a few super developments such as Victory Park in Dallas http://www.victorypark.com/index_flash.html and Atlantic Station in Atlanta http://www.atlanticstation.com/ These are incredible urban centers, virtual city within a city development. One of these have to happen in Nashville at some point. They all have office towers, residential towers, and large shopping promenades, and Victory Park has the home of the Dallas Mavericks AT&T Center. LP Field could be incorporated into a development like this, and a giant marina can be constructed as well. A big bold vision I thought of, but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this could happen sometime.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fear not, this site has the rapt attention of just about all of the powers that influence real estate in downtown Nashville, including Metro government. Something will happen with this site once Metro gets aggressive in helping them find and move to another suitable location, the biggest hurdle they will face.

We're at least five years away from that happening, in my professional opinion.

Fear not, this site has the rapt attention of just about all of the powers that influence real estate in downtown Nashville, including Metro government. Something will happen with this site once Metro gets aggressive in helping them find and move to another suitable location, the biggest hurdle they will face.

We're at least five years away from that happening, in my professional opinion.

^This post is completely incomprehensible for me... :wacko:

Why would the fact that CSX owns the Radnor Rail Yard be relevent to whether or not PSC Metals would be interested in moving their recycling operations to a parcel adjacent to that rail yard? Does PSC metels have some history of conflict with CSX?

Also, Radnor Yard is located in Nashville, not in the city that CSX is headquartered in, which is Jacksonville, FL.

And finally, who suggested closing Radnor Yards? So far I have only seen suggestions for closing PSC metals in this thread and others...

I agree with Gollum...er, um...smeagolsfree in that I am not a big fan of their plan for that side of the river either. I do believe, however, that Nashville's grand plan for downtown will not culminate until they seriously address that eyesore, no matter now critical the PSC Metals operation is to our city.

It is frustrating that Metro has not made the connection that the new convention center is the perfect project to provide impetus to relocating PSC Metals. I believe this for several reasons:

1) The Music City Center (MCC) is a project of the requisite size and scope to address moving PSC Metals.

2) MCC is a government-centric maneuver, another prerequisite for addressing a PSC Metals project.

3) A riverfront site would accomplish just about all of the issues faced by proponents and opponents alike in dealing with proposed and alternative sites for the MCC, save walkability to the CBD. This could easily be addressed with an aggressive shuttle system across the Gateway bridge - a positive feature that would take advantage of river views and take patrons by several interest points in downtown Nashville and SoBro (baseball stadium, GEC, CMHF, etc).

4) This project would serve as an excellent buffer/transition development to the neighborhoods along Shelby Ave.

5) Given all the sustainable development and riverfront redevelopment talk that Nashville governers and influencers are talking, it's the only obvious move.

The right move for Nashville is to put the MCC on the PSC Metals site. If they choose to put the MCC in one of the currently proposed locations, it will be a boring, half-baked project that doesn't take full advantage of what this city has to offer. I'd rather take my convention to Opryland.

I agree with Gollum...er, um...smeagolsfree in that I am not a big fan of their plan for that side of the river either. I do believe, however, that Nashville's grand plan for downtown will not culminate until they seriously address that eyesore, no matter now critical the PSC Metals operation is to our city.

It is frustrating that Metro has not made the connection that the new convention center is the perfect project to provide impetus to relocating PSC Metals. I believe this for several reasons:

1) The Music City Center (MCC) is a project of the requisite size and scope to address moving PSC Metals.

2) MCC is a government-centric maneuver, another prerequisite for addressing a PSC Metals project.

3) A riverfront site would accomplish just about all of the issues faced by proponents and opponents alike in dealing with proposed and alternative sites for the MCC, save walkability to the CBD. This could easily be addressed with an aggressive shuttle system across the Gateway bridge - a positive feature that would take advantage of river views and take patrons by several interest points in downtown Nashville and SoBro (baseball stadium, GEC, CMHF, etc).

4) This project would serve as an excellent buffer/transition development to the neighborhoods along Shelby Ave.

5) Given all the sustainable development and riverfront redevelopment talk that Nashville governers and influencers are talking, it's the only obvious move.

The right move for Nashville is to put the MCC on the PSC Metals site. If they choose to put the MCC in one of the currently proposed locations, it will be a boring, half-baked project that doesn't take full advantage of what this city has to offer. I'd rather take my convention to Opryland.

I don't understand the walkability issue. How far is it from the CBD? Wouldn't the railroads separate the Gulch just as much as the river separates the East Bank? And besides, SoBro and Rolling Hill Mill are located just across the river, and those areas are basically going to be a continuation of the CBD, especially by time the convention center is actually going to be built.

Did that make sense?

Why can't you see an Atlantic Station type development on the PSC Metals property, once they have been successfully moved? I certainly can. It's absolutely ripe for a mega development such as that, in my opinion. I can't think of a better place in the city for such a development.

Great question Hank! Probably because I'm not an expert on urban planning or marketing. I can't seem to picture a rendering in my head of what something like an Atlantic Station type project would look like at that location. Maybe planners will someday release possible renderings of an entertainment complex there.

It a very easily accesible site, adjacent to the river and the interstate. It is also on something Nashville is running out of, purely flat land, I worked for a land surveying company, and overall, there is thess than 3% slope grade from end to end, yet, like every well else, they'll have to blast. Blasting wouldnt be as necessary due to the fact it is on the flood plain and much silt/ river deposits are on the site, sitting upon a very firm limestone rock foundation, like all of Mid. TN. Atlanta's Atlantic Station is really taking shape, one of my roommates is from ATL, and loves the A.C. has several large nightclubs, many nice restaraunt, ranging from casual sit down to nice upscale dining. Twelve Hotels & Residences was the 1st tower and was very succesful, a first 20 something story office bldg was built, with another underway now. Also, the tallest building, so far, is getting ready to break ground, The Atlantic Residences, http://www.theatlanticresidences.com . Eventually, over the next decade, some 3,000 to 5,000 residences are to be built with over 3 million square feet of office, 1 million in office, and a possible 1,000 ft. tall high rise. :w00t:

I don't understand the walkability issue. How far is it from the CBD? Wouldn't the railroads separate the Gulch just as much as the river separates the East Bank? And besides, SoBro and Rolling Hill Mill are located just across the river, and those areas are basically going to be a continuation of the CBD, especially by time the convention center is actually going to be built.

Did that make sense?

Imagine visiting town for a convention on the East Bank, then imagine wanting to go to the Wildhorse. Which route would you take? I don't think the East Bank is the right place for MCC. People would loathe trudging over the somewhat steep inclines of the Gateway or Shelby bridges, especially those who are older or disabled, and especially in inclement weather. SoBro is the most logical site as far as accessibility. Even the Gulch site would offer decent accessibility via direct connections to Church Street.

I would agree with barakat. I have been to cities recently (Boston) where the CC is not located in a central location for hotel rooms and bus and cabs were the only way to get in and out. Not a pretty site and based upon the potential clientel of the facility, walkability is probably the #1 priority for the facility.

It a very easily accesible site, adjacent to the river and the interstate. It is also on something Nashville is running out of, purely flat land, I worked for a land surveying company, and overall, there is thess than 3% slope grade from end to end, yet, like every well else, they'll have to blast. Blasting wouldnt be as necessary due to the fact it is on the flood plain and much silt/ river deposits are on the site, sitting upon a very firm limestone rock foundation, like all of Mid. TN. Atlanta's Atlantic Station is really taking shape, one of my roommates is from ATL, and loves the A.C. has several large nightclubs, many nice restaraunt, ranging from casual sit down to nice upscale dining. Twelve Hotels & Residences was the 1st tower and was very succesful, a first 20 something story office bldg was built, with another underway now. Also, the tallest building, so far, is getting ready to break ground, The Atlantic Residences, http://www.theatlanticresidences.com . Eventually, over the next decade, some 3,000 to 5,000 residences are to be built with over 3 million square feet of office, 1 million in office, and a possible 1,000 ft. tall high rise. :w00t:

Imagine visiting town for a convention on the East Bank, then imagine wanting to go to the Wildhorse. Which route would you take? I don't think the East Bank is the right place for MCC. People would loathe trudging over the somewhat steep inclines of the Gateway or Shelby bridges, especially those who are older or disabled, and especially in inclement weather. SoBro is the most logical site as far as accessibility. Even the Gulch site would offer decent accessibility via direct connections to Church Street.

Archived