PSC Metals and vicinity

reednavy05

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for disagreeing, sort of, b/c it gives me a chance to talk more about my opinion (which is what we all love to do on forums).

I hoped to convey the need for an aggressive shuttle system that would take conventioneers wherever they needed to go. I do not buy your walkability argument, especially for the Gulch site. Nobody in the Gulch is going to walk to Wildhorse. As a matter of fact, I'll bet that the PSC Metals site is CLOSER to Wildhorse than the Gulch via the pedestrian bridge.

Don't misunderstand - walkability is very important - but a walkable community is going to be created in SoBro, in the Gulch, and on the East Bank as well eventually, so the East Bank should not be an exclusion from that concept especially given the effort and money that Metro has put in to redeveloping the East Bank riverfront into a pedestrian-friendly community. Quite the contrary - the MCC is Metro's opportunity do actually make it happen! SoBro is a done deal - it does not need the MCC to become a walkable community. Remember, we're addressing downtown as a whole, especially with a project as big as the PSC Metals site and the MCC development.

Here's something extremely interesting: I was driving by PSC metals on the interstate last night, and while I was whizzing past at top speed I noticed the billboard just past the metals operation (going southbound) has been hired by PSC. It says something about safety first (or something), has the PSC Metals sign, and says something like "10,000 hours without any work injuries" (I don't remember the exact number). Anyway, the point is this: companies like PSC metals do not need billboards to advertise - that's not how they do business. This is clearly a PR move, and I interpret it to mean PSC is gearing up for a fight with the metro government. Why, for example, would a company start a PR campaign promoting the safety practices of their industrial work site if they were planning to close-down or move out of town in the near term? This move on their part tells me they are in for the long haul. I'm cosidering trying to find out who runs that deal and maybe invite them to the forum meet...any thoughts on whether this is a good idea or even possible (is management located in nashville?)??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

An article in the NBJ this week talks about speculation that it may be time for the scrap metal yard to move. The move would be expensive. Parts of the article that are not in the online addition state that Tower Investments may want to do a retail development along the lines of the HG Hill Center on the East Bank. I dont know how long the lease is for PSC, but I for one would love to see the eyesore gone. I dont think public funds should be used but rather private funds and this can be accomplished if the right amount of money is involved and it would also depend on the size of the development. I think I would much rather see the 50 or so acres used for a campus type facility like Maytown at this location than in the Bells Bend area.

Tower has about 25 acres of the PSC property and if they decide not to continue the lease to PSC, then PSC may have no choice but to look for a new location. Carl Ichan can afford the move I think since he owns PSC. He needs or rather his company needs to be a good corporate citizen of Nashville and do what is best for all parties. He could relocate and expand the PSC facility and bring more jobs to Nashville and allow for the high dollar real estate to be developed. If he wanted to make a lot more money then Ichan could propose his own development for the site. Just throwing out some thoughts, but I am glad to see this is back in the news.

An article in the NBJ this week talks about speculation that it may be time for the scrap metal yard to move. The move would be expensive. Parts of the article that are not in the online addition state that Tower Investments may want to do a retail development along the lines of the HG Hill Center on the East Bank. I dont know how long the lease is for PSC, but I for one would love to see the eyesore gone. I dont think public funds should be used but rather private funds and this can be accomplished if the right amount of money is involved and it would also depend on the size of the development. I think I would much rather see the 50 or so acres used for a campus type facility like Maytown at this location than in the Bells Bend area.

Tower has about 25 acres of the PSC property and if they decide not to continue the lease to PSC, then PSC may have no choice but to look for a new location. Carl Ichan can afford the move I think since he owns PSC. He needs or rather his company needs to be a good corporate citizen of Nashville and do what is best for all parties. He could relocate and expand the PSC facility and bring more jobs to Nashville and allow for the high dollar real estate to be developed. If he wanted to make a lot more money then Ichan could propose his own development for the site. Just throwing out some thoughts, but I am glad to see this is back in the news.

I currently go to school in Dallas and yes victory park is a tremendous development. I think if the psc metal co. does move, the site definitely has the potential to have tremendous development. Yes, I too would rather have the May Town Center there than Bells Bend area. I think a minor league stadium on the east bank would be the catalyst to develop this type of neighborhood. Step 1, get psc out of there.

I currently go to school in Dallas and yes victory park is a tremendous development. I think if the psc metal co. does move, the site definitely has the potential to have tremendous development. Yes, I too would rather have the May Town Center there than Bells Bend area. I think a minor league stadium on the east bank would be the catalyst to develop this type of neighborhood. Step 1, get psc out of there.

Archived