Greenville historic railways and streetcars

gs3

I've seen photos from the late 1800's and early 1900's where Greenville had numerous railway and streetcar lines. Looked like many of these ran to the many textile mills around the area. Does anyone know of a book that may detail this history?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No but the Open Book might still have it, and an internet search will show plenty of other books on the subject. Basically there was the Piedmont & Northern that ran interurbans to (I think) Anderson and Greenwood on its South Carolina branch, and then the Southern, which ran long-distance trains between Washington and Atlanta (and elsewhere). I don't recall much about Greenville streetcars other than my grandmother's complaints about them.

No but the Open Book might still have it, and an internet search will show plenty of other books on the subject. Basically there was the Piedmont & Northern that ran interurbans to (I think) Anderson and Greenwood on its South Carolina branch, and then the Southern, which ran long-distance trains between Washington and Atlanta (and elsewhere). I don't recall much about Greenville streetcars other than my grandmother's complaints about them.

I've seen photos from the late 1800's and early 1900's where Greenville had numerous railway and streetcar lines. Looked like many of these ran to the many textile mills around the area. Does anyone know of a book that may detail this history?

Archived