Movie Review Thread

gs3

I don't think the forum has a movie review thread. Couldn't find it if it does. If there is one, then this could be merged. We have restaurant reviews so thought it be great to add movie reviews.

On the subject of movies, did anyone make it to the French Film Festival this weekend? I was out of town with family and did not.

Has anyone seen The Good Shepherd yet?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been many years since I went to a movie and saw the audience literally burst into applause when a movie ended, but the showing of Happy Feet that I took my daughter to caused the audience to do just that. I'm not sure if it's because it was a great movie or if it was because the "don't over fish our oceans" moral finally ended. :ph34r: It was a great movie, though, if you can walk away not feeling like the last 15 minutes or so beat you over the head with a moral lesson.

I saw "A Prairie Home Companion," a Robert Altman film, yesterday. I enjoyed the movie because I am a big fan of Altman's style, and it is perfected here. However, there is something weird about the way the plot is soft-pedalled, unlike his more cutting edge films.

There is a pointless sub-plot involving the Angel of Death, neither chilling nor amusing. The presence of Lindsay Lohan is completely odd, as she adds nothing at all to the film...she is unused until the end, and then she is tossed off as a plot add-on.

But, if you forgive that this film doesn't cut, there is a lot to love. Altman's style of not blocking out peripheral sound while the principles are speaking is never finer tuned than here. Kevin Kline is the best thing on the set, both in this movie, and in the show in the movie. The camera movement is perfect, and real musicians are used on the set.

Overall, the movie is weak for an Altman film, but emminently watchable nonetheless. Recommended, but don't pay theater price, watch it at home. Turn it up loud to get the full effect of the aural miracles.

-Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

I sw Pan's Labyrinth the other day. It was pretty heavy. It's billed as a horror/fantasy. The commericals made it look very sort of Lord of the Rings-like. Don't think it's a kid's movie and take your child. It has great special effects and cinematography, but it has some brutal violence in it. Violence in a film is very disturbing to me, and I had to shut my eyes a few times. (A lot of people think sex is obscene. To me, violence is an obscenity.) The story is allegorical, with lots of layers of meaning. So even though it was not the typical lighthearted type of movie I generally like to see, overall, I liked it. It was powerful. It had an impact.

Archived