Statesboro Development News

andremurra

The 200 acre site that is mentioned is probably the property that extends from Lanier almost to Akins Blvd. I had heard a few months ago that problems with extending water and sewer to the site had killed the project and that developer optioned or bought the 60+ acre tract on the east side of Hwy 67, south of the Bypass.

Someone looked at the Hwy 301 property about two years ago and the concept plan showed a Super Target and other stores. I doubt Target had signed a contract and may not have even known its name was on the plan. At that time the site was double the size of what is shown on the sales brochure and the development was oriented more towards 301. I believe that site already has water and sewer, so it is essentially ready to go. That's just one more example of a developer taking a look at Statesboro, believing a large commercial development will work, but not being able to put a deal together with the retailers. I'm happy to see the brochure provides the data on being underserved by groceries. Unfortunately other developers have gone after grocers in the past few years and the grocers have said they aren't interested. It will happen eventually.

The listing of the Franklin Chevrolet property is news to me. The next question is where the dealership goes if the property sells. Robbie Franklin's property on Brannen Street and Commerce Drive would make some sense, because dealerships like to locate close to each other. However, there is no property left with frontage on the Bypass. It would seem more likely that the dealership would move to the property behind the current Chevrolet dealership which is larger and has lots of frontage on the Bypass. The problem is easy access to Northside Drive.

As a side note, it's interesting that the drawing for the Franklin property shows a Starbuck's. I can't imagine one locating there when one was just built down the street. That's one reason not to get too excited about a particular brand name or type of business identified on a concept plan. The good news is that there are some outside real estate companies marketing commercial sites in Statesboro. They can usually do a better job than the locals.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 200 acre site that is mentioned is probably the property that extends from Lanier almost to Akins Blvd. I had heard a few months ago that problems with extending water and sewer to the site had killed the project and that developer optioned or bought the 60+ acre tract on the east side of Hwy 67, south of the Bypass.

Someone looked at the Hwy 301 property about two years ago and the concept plan showed a Super Target and other stores. I doubt Target had signed a contract and may not have even known its name was on the plan. At that time the site was double the size of what is shown on the sales brochure and the development was oriented more towards 301. I believe that site already has water and sewer, so it is essentially ready to go. That's just one more example of a developer taking a look at Statesboro, believing a large commercial development will work, but not being able to put a deal together with the retailers. I'm happy to see the brochure provides the data on being underserved by groceries. Unfortunately other developers have gone after grocers in the past few years and the grocers have said they aren't interested. It will happen eventually.

The listing of the Franklin Chevrolet property is news to me. The next question is where the dealership goes if the property sells. Robbie Franklin's property on Brannen Street and Commerce Drive would make some sense, because dealerships like to locate close to each other. However, there is no property left with frontage on the Bypass. It would seem more likely that the dealership would move to the property behind the current Chevrolet dealership which is larger and has lots of frontage on the Bypass. The problem is easy access to Northside Drive.

As a side note, it's interesting that the drawing for the Franklin property shows a Starbuck's. I can't imagine one locating there when one was just built down the street. That's one reason not to get too excited about a particular brand name or type of business identified on a concept plan. The good news is that there are some outside real estate companies marketing commercial sites in Statesboro. They can usually do a better job than the locals.

Edited by kml

I drove by Woodland Square yesterday and I noticed that the construction trailer and Dabbs-Williams sign is gone! I guess contruction is delayed yet agian! Also, a new shoe store opened up called Talon's Shoe Company and a new embroidery shop too.

• 1 month later...

Went to Midtown Market today and found out that Midtown Coffee House and Wrapsody Grill have both closed! :( A book store has taken Wrapsody's place. Cristopher's ToGo has opened up next to Christopher's. (They are the only place that serves Boar's Head Deli Meat! :rolleyes: )

• 2 weeks later...

What on earth? I knew Wrapsody had closed, but Midtown Coffee? Thats crazy. Wrapsody was my fav restuarant in Statesboro in its time. I didnt care for Midtown, but I dont like to see any business close. I noticed Southern Buffet changed their sign from "under renovation" to "now leasing" as well. What kind of bookstore is it in WG now? I dont know why we need another bookstore on that street, and then with BAM coming in the Fall. At least its not empty!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought y'all would want to know that yesterday I stumbled upon Statesboro's first Thai restaurant, Coconut. It's in the shopping center behind Zaxby's, and they're hoping to open as early as next week. The menu is in the window. In the same shopping center is El Rinconcito, a great little Mexican grocery & taqueria with excellent traditional dishes. Try the tostada de ceviche.