Statesboro Development News

andremurra

Yeah, I never really thought about that.

Have you heard anything about whats going on with Alicia Bea's? A letter came in the mail yesterday saying that they were closing their doors. They have two buildings, that could add a lot of stores downtown.

I have a friend who works (maybe that's worked) for A Bea's. Have not seen her in a couple weeks, but I did notice the sign in the window directs you to visit the warehouse type building on Vine. If I see my friend I'll hope to get more info from her on what's going on there.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think one could get a lot of useful information from comparing traffic in Statesboro to traffic in Boston. I was talking about traffic getting worse than it has been in the past. I dont think traffic in Statesboro could be described as insignificant. One reason is, I live in Statesboro and commute only about 3-4 miles to work or less to school. It took about 30 minutes to back and forth from my previous job (where I used to commute 3-4 miles). It wouldnt take as long in the morning though since I didnt start my shift at 8am so I missed the traffic and the bypass could be used which was more miles but less, faster traffic. Any other time or route though would take 30 minutes easy. If I wanted to stop at the bank or post office which were both on the direct route, it would take about 45-60 minutes. That would be very close to your 14 mile commute taking 1.5 hours if you compare a ratio between the two.

School is another story. I decided to save gas this year and about $120 by not buying a parking permit and taking the bus. I just park at the stadium and ride. Of course, many times last year I was able to walk to a destination faster than riding the bus, but I prefer the lazy alternative to walking, plus you can meet people on the bus. I quit the commuting job and now Im working on campus. Only sucky part is that the bus system ends at 5pm on Friday's, so I may have to walk from the Herty Drive side of campus to the Stadium. I did it a couple times last year and it was not enjoyable.

Local or not, Im glad you bring a unique perspective to the forum. I just dont like it when people put down Statesboro or make fun of it (not saying that you were doing that). I have lived here my whole life - at least had a residence here the whole time. When I was born, Statesboro had a population of about 8,000 and GSU (formerly called Collegeboro) had an enrollment (population) of about 4,000. Before Statesboro expanded around the campus, the area was an unincorporated suburb called Collegeboro. There was no development on HWY 80 or 67, no bypass, and Walmart was in the Statesboro Mall. (ok, you can laugh at that). I have seen Statesboro emerge from an occasional spot on the map, to a major up-and-coming contender for Georgia's urban and regional economy. The economy has been booming since the mid-80's. More recently, since about 2004-ish, its been exploding.

Edited by andremurra

Here is an article from today's paper about the Savannah Avenue/Northside Drive East re-alignment. I wonder how this is going to affect traffic especially with them closing parts of Savannah Avenue. Its going to be a real inconvenience in my opinion. Also I am concerned with how placing a traffic light at that intersection will increase traffic in the already over-congested area. I think a traffic light will be too close the the Lester Road/Northside Drive East intersection. Traffic already backs up from Lovett Street (former Brannen Street) through the Lester Road intersection. Savannah avenue and Lester road are just too close in my opinion - similar to North Main and North College Streets when they cross Northside Drive West. Those streets get backed up during peak times and that is one of the least congested areas in town. Lovett Street intersection with Northside drive east already gets almost one-fifth of the traffic that the entire section of I-75/I-85 in Atlanta gets - and thats a lot. Savannah Avenue at Northside only gets about 25,000 vpd according to the article, but I seriously am expecting a huge traffic mess when they get finished with that, especially since SHS's main entrace will be designated there.

http://www.statesboroherald.com/showstory....6;recordID=7707

Lovett Street intersection with Northside drive east already gets almost one-fifth of the traffic that the entire section of I-75/I-85 in Atlanta gets - and thats a lot.

http://www.statesboroherald.com/showstory....6;recordID=7707

Not sure I understand this. According to GDOT's 2005 Annual Average Daily Traffic Counts, the stretch of I-75/85 between North Avenue and 10th Street averages just over 300,000 vehicles a day. Most of the downtown connector seems to average between 270,000 and 300,000. Does this stretch of Northside Drive really see 50,000 - 60,000 cars a day?

I just read something about this not too long ago, and it said that it does average 40,000 - 45,000 cars a day.

That's hard to imagine. I know things have changed dramatically since I left in '92, but 40,000 cars a day is unreal. I'd like to see the source. Not that I'm distrustful or anything, but it's the 'Boro for goodness sake! Everybody in town must drive through that intersection now.

It is growing, though. One of the things I love about coming back is seeing that growth, and pointing out to the Mrs. all the things that weren't around when I was there. And all the things that are gone... like Zax (the original), the Rockin' Eagle, Sarah's (gotta be at least 35 to remember that!). Even Robbins hot dogs have changed their name. I swear I'm getting old...

Not sure I understand this. According to GDOT's 2005 Annual Average Daily Traffic Counts, the stretch of I-75/85 between North Avenue and 10th Street averages just over 300,000 vehicles a day. Most of the downtown connector seems to average between 270,000 and 300,000. Does this stretch of Northside Drive really see 50,000 - 60,000 cars a day?

Well Atlanta must have seen a traffic decrease since I last checked. The section of expressway where both interstates share, if I remember correctly was 385,000 a few years back. The former Brannen Street/Northside Drive intersection (now Lovett) gets in the 50's now. Im not sure of the exact statistic. That intersection was in the 30's in 1999, the 40's a few years ago an Im pretty certain its in the 50's now. There was been a LOT of development on that part of Northside Drive (where no one thought there was even any room for more). Let me think about the latest developments right there:

Eckerd (they tore down the Bulloch County BOE, bought that acre for $1M)

Walgreens (they tore down Temple Baptist Church, I think it sold for $3M-ish)

LA Waters expanded

Taco Bell (they tore down the Friendly Diner for that)

Buckhead Plaza (19acre square, they tore down the Lovett Mansion for that, it has a Sonic, KFC, Pizza Hut, Subway, Dukes, RJ Pope, Athlete's Foot, F&M Bank, Citgo Lube&Wash, Audio/Video Warehouse, Nikko's Japanese Steakhouse Express, Larry's Giant Subs - all was developed in past two years)

Commerce Park (behind Lowe's has the new Franklin Toyota-Scion Showroom/Dealership, and the future home of the 6-story Holiday Inn)

Fordhams Farmhouse

Goodwill Supercenter

Papa's Pizza ToGo and Buffet

Anderson's General Store

A new pharmacy

and so on. Almost all of those places were built within two years ago. Statesboro High is at about 1700 now. They are building a new $40M-ish 2-story school on the same plot with a new football stadium. Plus the city opened up the 4-lane Brannen Street Connector to relieve traffic from Northside Drive, but instead it opened up new lots to be developed and ended up increasing the traffic in that area. They just extended the connector to Cawana Road and it is starting to be developed as well.

Edited by andremurra

I noticed today that they are renovating the outside of the apartments on Lanier Drive and the Bypass..on the opposite side of GSU. I'm glad, they're looking really bad.

I remember when those and the ones across the bypass were the only apartments around there. You'd see people out there playing volleyball in the sand and all. Now there's 5 new complexes with 2 under construction and one under way (at least I guess it is, have you heard anything about Campus Edge?).

Edited by MorganA15

I dont know when they are going to start Campus Edge. I dont even know exactly where on the plot it will be located. My friend Mary tried to explain it to me but it didnt make sense to me.

Good news though. Lately, people have been noticing that Statesboro is really beginning to get on the map more and more as a regional commercial marketplace. Recently, Talbots announced a Statesboro store to open in January 2007. Also a new vender has announced its opening which will offer Versace, Dolce & Gabbana, and other top brands.

Starbucks just opened its highly anticipated "Licensed" store that was announced August 2005. The Starbucks Self Serve location in the University Store was closed because it was just yards in distance to the new 3,000 sq. ft store it opened in the Russell Union. However, good news for the Statesboro community, Starbucks is planning to open a 2nd, but this time a "Corporate" store in the Brannen Street vicinity as soon as they find a suitable location. Also, Starbucks will open a 3rd location (2nd Licensed location) in the new 239,099 sq. ft. Zach S. Henderson Library. Thats very good news for Statesboro, that a company as selective as Starbucks would open three stores in Statesboro, all within 2 miles distance from one another.

I think we are starting to finally ARRIVE. When the 2nd Walmart opens, I think thatll be when there can be no more doubting us.

Edited by andremurra

So, Starbucks IS planning a store around the mall? I heard from somebody who worked at the mall this summer that they were planning one. They said behind the mall, so I thought Hull-Storey might be doing it since they've opened some up on other land they own.

My mom said that she saw people surveying land across the road earlier this week. I'm wondering what's going on there.

New Holiday Inn to open Fall 2007

Details were released today of the new 8 million dollar Holiday Inn located in Commerce Park on the Bypass next to Franklin Toyota. Located on 2.5 acres, it will be 63,000 square feet and four stories tall. It will contain 93 hotel rooms, meeting rooms, a full service dining room, a fitness room, business center, small lounge, and a pool. Groundbreaking for the hotel should be in January, with a completion date of late next fall.

The hotel is being built by a group consisting of 10 local residents, with one of them in the process of constructing two other hotels in the Savannah I-95 area.

Edited by MorganA15

Streetscape plans unveiled

Plans for downtown Statesboro were revelaled Tuesday. The improvements to the downtown area include adding trees, benches and red brick along the widened sidewalks. With wider sidewalks, the width of the street will be narrowed causing traffic to be slower in those areas. Bidding for the project should begin in sometime in October, with construction beginning in January. Going from the Main/Main intersection to Triangle Park, it should take between six and nine months to complete.

Phase two will begin after the first one is completed.

(Sorry this is late - this week has been hectic)

Edited by MorganA15

More Resturants to open in Market District

Opening in The Market District Center (located in the center of the 85 acre development) are McAlister's Deli (now open), Barberitos Southwestern Grille and Cantina, Shane's Rib Shack (both to open in December), and Ogeechee River Coffee Company.

Also slated to open is Foot Solutions, and hoping for a October opening.

So, Starbucks IS planning a store around the mall? I heard from somebody who worked at the mall this summer that they were planning one. They said behind the mall, so I thought Hull-Storey might be doing it since they've opened some up on other land they own.

My mom said that she saw people surveying land across the road earlier this week. I'm wondering what's going on there.

Could that be the Brannen Crossing development? Isn't that the name of the development where Brannen intersects with the Bypass? Is that a Hull-Storey development, too? I would love to see the mall get a shot in the arm.

I guess Starbucks must really be looking to have a presence beyond GSU. Can't say as I have seen them CLOSE too many locations, so I'm thinking that they are confident in current and future possibilities to succeed in town. Heck, with all the soon to open coffee businesses we are going to have plenty of options and that will force those who want to stay in the market to excel at what they do.

Same will hold true for the restaurants coming to the Market District. McAlester's is GREAT. I have eaten at a number of them and always had a good experience. Barberito's is composed of folks who were involved in Zaxby's early after their move to Athens. I haven't eaten at a Barberito's, but know Zaxby's corporate stores are generally well run (regardless of what you may think of the food, they do run their stores well).

Not sure what to think of Shane's Rib Shack. I looked at the online menu and didn't see anything that grabbed my interest. Hopefully, they will have good food.

And there's going to be a coffee roaster in town! Best news I've heard in a while.

Yeah, it's Brannen Crossing. Hull Storey doesn't own it, but I do think they do own a small piece. I may be wrong.

I don't know why they don't do anything to the mall. Just a few stores and maybe a department store (since they seem to be building alot of freestanding ones lately), the mall could go down. The mall could be so much better. I don't understand.

Edited by MorganA15

New Holiday Inn to open Fall 2007

Located on 2.5 acres, it will be 63,000 square feet and four stories tall. It will contain 93 hotel rooms, meeting rooms, a full service dining room, a fitness room, business center, small lounge, and a pool.

Im very disappointed that the hotel is going to be 4-stories, just like everything else in Statesboro. I dont understand why they put up a sign depicting a 6-story building and saying "coming soon". 4-stories is just tacky for a city our size in my opinion. I am glad that they are remodeling the 6-story Statesboro Summit Apartments, they are going to very ncie facelift on that building, although i havent seen a sketch or rendering, so far it looks very good.

Quoting an article from today's Statesboro Herald, I think its good to note that the community leaders are finally beginning to recognize the growth and status of Statesboro, as a community as becoming a metropolitan area in itself.

---Bulloch County

Haven't seen you here in a while, I was just about to post about that too.

I can't think of what grocery store will be coming. The only thing I think of is the second Walmart, or possibly Kroger. Piggly Wiggly has been gone for a while, and there was a article in the paper a while ago about how Publix didn't have any plans to return anytime soon (they've been gone around 7 years I believe).

I hated where they said we could be a suburb of the SMA. Eww

Also, Georgia Southern broke a record for money raised for A Day for Southern. They earned over 1.27 million yesterday. About $50,000 more then last year.

Yea, being known as a suburb of Savannah would be a shame. It may not be too far away, but the blending of large geographic areas into something like a SMSA is a long ways off. When you ride around the county now and see the cotton fields where first sprayings have taken place, it's apparent this area is nothing at all like Sav'h.

I've always liked the quality of baked goods from Publix and would not mind at all if they returned. When I was in NC over the Labor Day weekend, I was surprised to see that Hendersonville is getting a Fresh Market. Actuallly it's not that surprising since lots of folks from Atlanta and larger cities in FL go there for spend the summer. The town is a short distance from Asheville and I guess that will also provide some support. Statesboro is more than twice the population of Hendersonville. I would faint if we got a Fresh Market here.

@andremurra: is the Starbucks staying busy? Have not been to it yet...

Yeah, that reference about Statesboro being a suburb of Savannah was really gross. That man really shouldnt have said that because how are you going to say something is a metropolitan area in itself, but then say or maybe its a suburb of a city that isnt really THAT big. If Savannah was the size of Atlanta, then yes Statesboro would be a suburb as Gainesville is to Atlanta, but Statesboro is way too big to ever be a suburb of Savannah, and Savannah will never be the size of Atlanta, at least not in our lifetimes. It would be like saying Valdosta could be a suburb or Tallahasee, Fl. It just isnt and will never be.

I was thinking a Kroger too, because thats the only thing I can think of that we dont have. We did have a Kroger once a long time ago, where Bilo is now. I think were too far South to get an Ingles (which are gross anyway).

As for Starbucks business, Peechdogg, its been CRAZY. We have had a lot of people comment that they have never seen a Starbucks this busy before. Our business peaks on the hour and right before we close, about a million people line up out the door and were not allowed to lock the doors until 10 minutes after closing time, so we usually dont really get done serving drinks until almost an hour after closing time. Most Starbucks I have been to have one Frappuccino Blender, while we have three. I have learned to master the art of preparing 9 drinks at a time. Corporate didnt supply us with enough anything to last for the month either. They underestimated business and last week we ran out of frappuccino base, cream base, white mocha, chocolate chips, light frappuccino base, etc. To make a long story short, our storage capacity in the back area isnt large enough to meet our demands between shipments (that is while we are on of the largest Starbucks stores in the company square foot wise). We had to drive to Savannah to borrow ingredients from them the other day. I think were still out of chocolate chips.

Edited by andremurra

I thought what they said about Ryan's was pretty interesting.

It serves between 8,000 - 10,000 people a week, and is ranked 20th out of 340 other Ryan's resturants.

That's what I don't get. Why won't other national chains come? Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Chili's, etc. would do excellent here. They say we don't have the population. You can tell they haven't been here on a Friday or Saturday night trying to find somewhere to eat.

We might not have the population, but with the 15 surrounding counties who drive here to do all their shopping because were the only Walmart in this part of Georgia, we do have the population. Our trade area is well over 300,000 and what people dont understand is that those 300,000 do visit here frequently to do all their shopping and dining and entertainment.

Yeah, they were saying were a year behind what they were looking for, but Starbucks wants to put three stores here and Walmart wants to build another store, and Talbots, and Chili's, Chedder's and Outback tried to get into our market last year, but that fell through due to the developers lack of preparedness (not going to name any names), etc. So either they are PF Changs or they dont know what their talking about.