Statesboro Development News

andremurra

Walmart was the largest in Georgia when it was built until Pooler built the largest in the world at that time. I believe the new Walmart will be larger than Pooler's. Walmart is definitely the most annoying, overcrowded, confusing, stressful thing to do or visit in Statesboro. The only time you can ever find a parking space close to the front is after 1am, and by close the the front, I mean half way to the back of the parking lot or closer. In highschool I loved it because I would always see my friends there and it was "fun". Now, in college, I hate it. I dread trips to Walmart. Even if you know what you need and know where to find it, you will see at least 3287 people you know who want to talk to you and tell you their life story, the lines to the 40 checkouts go far into the frontal departments, and you will see at least 7 displays in the middle of a random isle that will make you need to buy the product. That is of course, after spending 15 minutes finding a parking space.

In addition to Statesboro's population, Walmart also serves a regional area of over a dozen counties which do not have a Walmart. Even people from West Chatham and Effingham shop in Statesboro to avoid Savannah traffic (which doenst make sense to me). On holidays, you may have to park in the Statesboro Mall's parking lot and walk to Walmart. During Christmas holidays, people even park in shopping centers across the 6-lanes of highway and walk. At the after-Thanksgiving sale, law enforcement officers have to patrol the inside of Walmart to break up fights between consumers over products. Many people find it very entertaining to visit during that sale just to watch the fights. Its rather exciting if youre just there to watch.

In addition, Walmart has its own Statesboro Police Station inside, which never really prevents anything from happening there. This year alone, there have been rapes and muggings in the parking lot as well has an attempted murder in the womens bathroom where a man dressed as a woman entered the bathroom and tried to tazor a new mother to death, she dropped her baby after being tazored several times until a customer walked in and tried to intervene. The man escaped and ran then decided to run throughout the store (at approx 5:15 pm during rushhour shopping) and pepper-spraying masses of people, then ran outside and did the same to people in the parking lot. That is just one of many incidents that regularly happen at Walmart.

Starbucks was first slated to open in December 2005, but was pushed back several times because of negotiations. It will probably open the week after next.

Edited by andremurra

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, do you know when anything is going start going on out there? When they started remodeling the current one, I thought that after they got finished, they might start construction (or at least say something about) the new one.

Edited by MorganA15

I have no idea of the time table of the new Walmart. I heard of it last year, so it could be anytime. It will probably be a couple or few years before they start, but I could be wrong. I believe that a major draw was the new Statesboro High School that was going to be built where William James Middle School currently is, but the project was going to require a 3-mile pipeline that would have cost the city $2M, so they decided to build the new SHS on the current site. I dont know if that changes Walmarts plans for development, but I dont think it should since there are so many residents on the Northwest side. Thats mainly why they are trying to develop that area with the new restaurants because of the new Walmart. Plus that is a major intersection in the West leg of the Savannah River Parkway. I suppose the current Walmart will cater to the Eastside and Brooklet communities and will probably remain GSU's Walmart. Of course a lot of people will drive the extra distance to go to the "new Walmart" because you know how people are in Statesboro about new places. They stampede the heck out of them until the next newest place opens.

I dont understand some things about this town. Like why they try to keep everything on the DL when everyone gossips and knows everything. I wish they would just inform us of their plans. I do know that a new Jungle-themed nightclub will be opening soon. The owners are looking at the old Maguires/Club Yaccula, but I dont think it will last long because of the distance factor which is the reason the last two clubs didnt last. I wish a franchise nightclub club like Club Paris or something similar would come to Statesboro. We could use an upscale place to relax rather than the dumps they keep remodeling.

Edited by andremurra

I just helped move in freshmen for 7 hours. Im burnt and they are still coming in. There is a huge new freshmen class this year. Preliminary figures recently stated that Georgia Southern had 16,850 registered students. We will probably top 17,000 by Monday. We are also slated to play Georgia and possibly Georgia Tech this season. Georgia Southern was recently upped to Research/Doctoral University status by the Carnegie Foundation. New additions this year include the $35M addition to the Recreation Activity Center, the $24M addition to the Henderson Library, and major improvements to Paulson Stadium. Many minor improvements can be seen all around campus which makes me excited.

We are also slated to play Georgia and possibly Georgia Tech this season.

The next Georgia Southern / UGA game is scheduled for the 2008 season. Any match-up with Tech, which I would love to see, will be at least next season. I almost wish we could get a Div. 1-A schol on the schedule every year.

Well, THE GSU/UGA game happens every four years, yes. But our coach just came from Georgia and has obvious connections to get a game scheduled. From my understanding, we will be playing Georgia and we may be playing Georgia Tech this season. Of course, this is inside information at this point. I think there will be one other I-A school too... something in the midwest. This is not last years football program anymore. Our coach knows what will happen if we dont get a national championship this year.

Edited by andremurra

Yeah I suppose I totally misunderstood what everyone was talking about, but I thought I heard them saying this year we were playing certain teams. I dont know why else theyd be talking about it since everyone knows were playing GA and GT in the future.

Here is an article about Operation Move-In - http://www.statesboroherald.com/showstory....6;recordID=7543

Edited by andremurra

I was going to go to Walmart to get a few things earlier today for school, but after I went by and saw the parking lot, I changed my mind. The entire parking lot was full, except for about 10 parking spaces.

That new Walmart can't get here any sooner. I actually went to the Walmart (or Sams, but it's like 15 feet away from it) in Sandfly yesterday. If the new one does come on 80, I hope they do it like that one. I was impressed, just by the parking lot and the entrance.

Edited by MorganA15

Woodlands Square Announces Tenants

Now that Woodlands Square is in the final stages, some tenants have been revealed. Opening is Latte Da Coffee Cafe, A Contemporary Cupboard: Timeless Kitchen and Bath Design Studio, a second Statesboro Quiznos, Big Kahuna Sunglasses, and Statesboro's first Talbots.

Edited by MorganA15

It's good to hear there's a new Quizno's being built. I like their sandwiches, but find the layout and size of the current location makes it fairly unpleasant to navigate if there are more than a couple customers inside.

Woodlands Square sounds like a happening spot. Finally a coffee house beyond what's currently available. Now, if a local roaster were to open, THAT would be awesome! It sounds like what's going in @ Woodlands will be a step in the right direction --> though fluffy, frou-frou blended drinks aren't my favorite, at least it might be possible to find some specialty grade, fresh beans. Since I moved here a couple years ago, I was really shocked that a town with a school the size of GSU had so little to offer in the way of good coffee. Things are looking up in Bulloch county.

So right now I know of at least 4 new coffee shops underway:

Latte Da Coffee Cafe - South Main Street

Statesboro Brews & Martini Bar - West Main Street

Midtown Coffee Shop - South Main Street

Starbucks - Forest Drive (opens Monday)

Also I want to welcome peachdogg to the forums. Im glad to know another Statesboro member has joined. Now we have at least three. lol. I noticed that a lot of the blog entries come up from Yahoo! and Goodle searches so perhaps that may be one of the ways people are finding us. I hope we can get a diverse Statesboro membership cluster here and perhaps one day get our own forum. Statesboro may not be the biggest city in GA, but anyone who has spent any amount of time here in the past two decades know that big things are happening here, and anyone visiting in the last two years can attest that things are starting to speed up growth-wise.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the CRAZY traffic lately? I know GSU is back and its bigger than ever, but still it seems to be a lot more dense than it has been in the past, or maybe I forgot how busy driving is during the fall.

As for the Talbots, thats very impressive for us in my opinion to be commercially grouped in with the other Ga cities that have one:

Outside of the Atlanta area, these are the only Talbot markets:

Macon

Albany

Columbus

Augusta

Savannah

St. Simons Island

Adding Statesboro to a list like this makes me proud. Even the Atlanta metro locations are in the nicer areas such as Peachtree City, Mall of Georgia, Alpharetta, Marietta, etc. Here is the article:

http://www.statesboroherald.net/columns/co...hp?writer=moore

OMG!!!!!! I just read that the Big Kahuna Sunglasses will carry Dolce & Gabbana!!!!! I never thought that D&G and Versace would ever enter the Statesboro market. OMG Im so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Edited by andremurra

Hopefully with Talbots coming, this will encourage other clothing retail chains to come. American Eagle, Hollister, Abercrombie & Fitch, Old Navy, and even Gap would do good here. Hopefully in the next 6 months to a year, we'll see some new stores here.

Have you heard anything about a Starbucks going around the mall? I heard it from about 2 people, and I was just hoping it was true. I don't really want to go on campus to go to Starbucks.

Oh, I didn't know about the Midtown Coffee Shop andremurra.

Did I miss that one in the Herald? Where on South Main is it going to be? Estimated opening date?

Now, all we need is decent ice cream... maybe gelato!

cheers ...

Midtown Coffee is going to be in the Midtown shopping center. Its on South Main next to the Holiday Inn express.

Traffic WAS crazy tonight, and I was there from 6-8. Walmart was a mad house too. All the people in there, and nobody knows where anything is anymore.

Im simply avoiding that place altogether. I have no idea where anything is now - its like a Kmart or something. I was talking about all around Statesboro though. Traffic seems to be really backed up everywhere. Like the bypass was backed up all the way from the Lanier Drive traffic light to Brampton Avenue/Stambuk Lane intersection. It was crazy. And the other day downtown traffic was backed up from the courthouse on South Main all the way to Fair Road intersection.

Midtown Coffee is going to be in the Midtown shopping center. Its on South Main next to the Holiday Inn express.

Ah, right. That's the development Dr. Marz is doing. OK, I'll have to go have a look as I haven't been down that end of South Main in a while. That development seemed to be pretty far along as I recall. Should be a convenient spot to get to for folks moving into Tillman Park.

I almost think a coffe shop over in the Market District area would be successful. There's already going to be a McAlester's Deli, a BBQ place, and a TexMex place over there. All the professional offices and the hospital plus that big apartment complex by Monster Storage means the traffic over there is huge ... in Statesboro terms, at least. :rofl:

I take it youre not a local, Peachdogg. I dont see anything "ROFL" funny about your comment. Traffic backed up almost a mile from an intersection would be considered heavy traffic anywhere. Im pretty sure people In Smyrna are just as inconvenienced when they have to sit through one traffic light signal 7 or more times to get thru the intersection as Statesboro folk would be. Same with Warner Robins or Savannah. That is to say, if traffic is not flowing, it is very congested and inconvenient to drivers. The four apartment complexes currently underway near the bypass between Fair and Lanier will generate an additional 7,000 vehicles per day on that one small stretch of road. That is a very conservative estimate though since we all know college students come and go quite frequently between classes, work, greek affairs, events, study groups, and organizational meetings.

Edited by andremurra

The last 4 or 5 times (except once - it was 9:30 at night) that i've been through downtown, traffic was backed up from the courthouse to Shoney's. It's getting really bad.

I actually googled "Statesboro Bypass Construction" (that's how I found this place) and found a page from the DOT. It has a completion date of March 31, 2008, so I would have to think that they would start working on it soon. I'm thinking that the city would approve of the traffic cameras by then and have them put up when the additional 2 lanes open.

I noticed last night that they've started construction on the Savannah Avenue/Northside Drive intersection.

The last 4 or 5 times (except once - it was 9:30 at night) that i've been through downtown, traffic was backed up from the courthouse to Shoney's. It's getting really bad.

I actually googled "Statesboro Bypass Construction" (that's how I found this place) and found a page from the DOT. It has a completion date of March 31, 2008, so I would have to think that they would start working on it soon. I'm thinking that the city would approve of the traffic cameras by then and have them put up when the additional 2 lanes open.

I noticed last night that they've started construction on the Savannah Avenue/Northside Drive intersection.

I looked that up too just now and it seems a bid was awarded in June!!! FINALLY. My God Ive been waiting for this section to be widened... i mean its needed it so much more than the west bypass needed widening.

JUNE 16, 2006 LETTING Page 5

7. FEDERAL PROJECT STP-068-1(36) LP, BULLOCH COUNTY.

6.950 MILES OF WIDENING FOR ADDITIONAL LANES CONSISTING

OF GRADING, DRAINAGE, MILLING, BASE, PLANT MIX PAVING

AND INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENTS ON SR 301 BYPASS (EAST

STATESBORO BYPASS) BEGINNING AT US 25/SR 73 AND

EXTENDING TO US 301/SR 73. (E) MARCH 31, 2008

COMPLETION DATE. B12568-06-000-0. JESUP PI #1522640

LOW BIDDER DOUGLAS ASPHALT COMPANY

AMOUNT $18,811,311.50 101 N. PETERSON AVE., #201

DOUGLAS, GA 31533

(912)384-8114

IRS # 58-1153967

DBE Participants are as follows: Type of Work

B/E ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS, INC. ELECTRICAL

COASTAL SIGNS & SUPPLY, INC. TRAFFIC CONTROL - CONSTR

SIGNING

DESIGN EFFEX SIGNING

JOSEPH MORELAND CONTRACTOR MISCELLANEOUS CONCRETE

THE SHARON CO., INC. GUARDRAIL

WAYLON CONTRACTING COMPANY, INC. EROSION CONTROL

Since it was awarded 2 months ago, I would have thought that it would have started, or getting ready to start.

Road construction/widening has a LOT of prep work before you can really see results of construction. We will probably "see" them starting the project over the next few months.

Yeah, I never really thought about that.

Have you heard anything about whats going on with Alicia Bea's? A letter came in the mail yesterday saying that they were closing their doors. They have two buildings, that could add a lot of stores downtown.

Edited by MorganA15

I take it youre not a local, Peachdogg. I dont see anything "ROFL" funny about your comment. Traffic backed up almost a mile from an intersection would be considered heavy traffic anywhere. Im pretty sure people In Smyrna are just as inconvenienced when they have to sit through one traffic light signal 7 or more times to get thru the intersection as Statesboro folk would be. Same with Warner Robins or Savannah. That is to say, if traffic is not flowing, it is very congested and inconvenient to drivers. The four apartment complexes currently underway near the bypass between Fair and Lanier will generate an additional 7,000 vehicles per day on that one small stretch of road. That is a very conservative estimate though since we all know college students come and go quite frequently between classes, work, greek affairs, events, study groups, and organizational meetings.

Well, I've only lived here for a couple years, so I don't know if that qualifies as local; I grew up in Savannah. Sorry if you're put off by the emoticon. I think the traffic in town is a nothing compared to when I lived in Miami, Boston, or Providence. I used to allow 1.5 hours for a 14 mile commute when in south Florida.

That's not to say I mean to trivialize the congestion we all see at various times in different parts of town, but I've worked and lived near colleges & universities for a couple decades now. There's absolutely nothing extreme or unusual about the traffic here compared with anywhere else I've been. Actually, I will trivialize it: it's so mild here as to be darn near undetectable compared to what I've experienced. I'm incredibly grateful for how insigificant the traffic is here.

As with any other place I've been, growth and development precedes and outstrips the placement of adequate infrastructure. It's just a very mild degree of it here. I imagine it will get worse before it gets better.