Statesboro Development News

andremurra

I know that in the past that the city has been wanting to annex the area between the bypass and bird pond but one of the property owners was against it, so Im not sure if they are getting the whole tract they wanted because the property owner who didnt want to be annexed would have created an "island" of unincorporated land within the city limits, and that is against city code. Im assuming they are getting most or all of what they originally wanted. I do know that the land they are annexing was a planned site for PUD or R-4 zoning, but because of the annexing issues, the owners were never able to develop/sell the tract. Maybe they are getting ready for another project. Im also very excited to see the Southern Plaza/Garden District tract being cleared!! Also I forgot to mention last night that the first source also told me that the Walmart property along the Bypass and Northside Drive West was going to be the site of a Sam's Club and one of the mini "Neighborhood" style Walmarts. Very new concept for this area. Its something between a huge convenience store and a department store... I think they carry around 60-80,000 items in those stores.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Sams? The one in Sand Fly just opened about 2 months ago, and the one in Pooler just opened two weeks ago. I can't see another Sam's going in this area. A Neighborhood Market is definately intresting.

I'd much rather see another supercenter, but it's better then nothing.

Any dates?

Edited by MorganA15

Massive 4000-bedroom "Centennial Park" Planned for Statesboro

It is common knowledge in the campus community that Georgia Southern intends to house 40% of its students on campus as part of its Strategic Plan to become one of the nation's top-ranked comprehensive universities by the year 2010. At this time Georgia Southern only houses just less than 23% of the student population, and that is mainly because of the recent opening of the 776-room Eagle Village Residence Hall. An inside source told me today that the university was planning a 4000+ room residence hall. I was already aware of plans being made for a massive new residence hall to replace Olliff, Winburn, and Johnson but I had no idea that the project was going to be this large. Of course, this information is not published anywhere yet and is not public information at this time.

I decided to ask another, "more inside" source about what I was told today to see if he/she could shed anymore light on the topic or confirm it. My source told me that it was indeed at the Olliff-Winburn-Johnson tract, that the name of the project was going to be called Centennial Park. Also he/she told me that the building was going to be 6-stories tall, made up of two massive buildings that would make Eagle Village look like nothing, and would be a freshmen-exclusive hall. According to the "plan", after this current (2006-07) academic year, Olliff and Winburn would be demolished and the first building would be constructed in one year, then after the 2007-08 academic year, Johnson would be demolished and the second building would be constructed in one year. The goal would be to complete the project in time for the 2009-10 academic year, when both buildings should open simultaneously. My source was not sure exactly how many rooms it would accomodate, but did state that he/she thought it would be around 2500, but he/she was not told an exact number.

I really have no idea what they plan to do about parking and thats a really good point. However, really look at the size of the area that Johnson, Olliff and Winburn sit on and that is a massive tract large enough for anything they would want to put there. From what I understand, Grube is totally against a parking garage because it would be too tall. He wants to keep the campus' suburban feel so the students feel more comfortable here. I do agree though that a huge parking lot would be very ugly.... yuck. BTW, what I was saying about the impact of getting the students on campus are more than predictions. There have been several studies done on the topic even a few specifically discussing Statesboro's case. I think were going to get more commerce from here on out anyway simply because Statesboro IS booming right now, but I think the big mall and more competitive (with Savannah & surburban Atlanta areas) shopping venues will come after the university reaches its 40% goal - its purely economics. I really hope SIMON builds us something someday.

Edited by andremurra

I know that in the past that the city has been wanting to annex the area between the bypass and bird pond but one of the property owners was against it, so Im not sure if they are getting the whole tract they wanted because the property owner who didnt want to be annexed would have created an "island" of unincorporated land within the city limits, and that is against city code. Im assuming they are getting most or all of what they originally wanted. I do know that the land they are annexing was a planned site for PUD or R-4 zoning, but because of the annexing issues, the owners were never able to develop/sell the tract. Maybe they are getting ready for another project. Im also very excited to see the Southern Plaza/Garden District tract being cleared!! Also I forgot to mention last night that the first source also told me that the Walmart property along the Bypass and Northside Drive West was going to be the site of a Sam's Club and one of the mini "Neighborhood" style Walmarts. Very new concept for this area. Its something between a huge convenience store and a department store... I think they carry around 60-80,000 items in those stores.

Walmart owns the tract at the intersection of Veterens Memorial Parkway and Northside Drive West. That is the tract we are talking about. BTW, I dont particularly trust the GIS site. I know plenty of people who are still listed as owners of property on that thing who sold their plots ages ago.

Updates:

Bulloch County plans to begin on the Agri-Business Center’s covered arena within the next couple of months. Also, the Bulloch County BOE is getting ready to become fully –system-wide accredited from SACS (very good). The SHS project will be bid on within a month and should be completed in 18-24 months. Southeast Bulloch HS will be moving into their new facility in about a month. This year the system has 8,997 students. Statesboro High has an enrollment of 1,500 and the new facility will accommodate 2,000. County Manager wood commented about a “proposed shopping center” on the Bypass across from the Toyota-Scion…. Interesting!!! The popo station is slated to be finished in July. According to the Chamber, we are experiencing our “busiest year in retail and big developers” – there is a possibility of a new grocery store, and EGC is looking to build a campus here. Over 500 building permits have been issued so far this year.

To comment on these facts, I think its great that Bulloch County BOE is going to SACS Accreditation since GSU also has SACS, so that’s good. I think that the new Statesboro High School is probably not going to address the long-term need for a new SHS, just the present need for one. The current facility was designed for a maximum capacity of 800-900 students and was built in the 70’s. The current enrollment in nearly twice its capacity so that is kinda crazy, but the new facility will only comfortably accommodate SHS for a few years… in MY opinion – but a two-story high school is definitely a step up. I guess beggars cant be choosers.

I want to know more about this new shopping center, and Im really excited about East Georgia College finally getting an official campus here, especially when Georgia Southern starts requiring freshmen to live on campus after they build the Centennial. Obviously, locals and commuters from nearby areas (especially in this economically-depressed area of Georgia) will want to save money by not living on campus, so that may provide a surge in EGC enrollment at least for the freshmen year of college. Also, EGC has a much larger market in Statesboro than it will ever be able to serve in Swainsboro. Its good that Statesboro will have three college campuses. I think there is actually also a very small Bible College here in Portal called Covenant Bible College, but I don’t know much more about it and haven’t really heard much about it. I hope EGC decides to build new facilities – I think it will be a good investment for them.

Edited by andremurra

I was told by adjacent property owners that Walmart owns the West Corner (meaning southwest of Northside, Northwest of Veterens). I may have understood it wrong though, but I dont think I did. The adjacent property owners told me that the reason Oak Crossing and Towne Center was developed, was in anticipation for the future Walmart traffic.

All I know is that they need to hurry and do something. I used to like going to Walmart, but anymore, it's a pain. So many people in there that you can't move, you have to drive around the parking lot to look for a parking space, etc. The only time I ever go anymore, is if I ride with somebody.

The rumors have been flying around for a new Walmart/second Walmart/Sams for years, just confirm something and let's get started.

The President patronized me today. After hearing his America-Dividing rhetoric, I can honestly say I hate that man. I was already planning to vote for John Barrow anyway. We need to get more GSU students registered to vote locally. While many feel the President visiting Statesboro is a great thing, personally I am ashamed to share the same land as him after hearing the crap he had to say. BTW, the Statesboro Herald said that there were somewhere between 100-250 protestors? WHATEVER. There were at least 500 protestors and that is a conservative estimate - I wouldnt be surprised if the protestors numbered over 1,000. The chanting crowds were huge. I was a protestor and there was also a very strong showing of "angry republicans" protesting W's visit. It was honestly a bi-partisan protest. No wonder his approval rating is only 37%. I bet it went down some more today.

Yes, I agree as well. This is a place to speak about development etc... It is interesting and fun to hear about projects and rumors about up coming developments. I do not come hear to read about political views.

One may argue that politics plays a role in development and economic growth. This fact is certainly true and in alot of cases a shamfull truth.

Planning and zoning in particular strive to be nonpartisan and not follow politcal agendas. The goal is supposedly to protect the common health, welfair and safety for all the stakeholders.

On a more up beat note. The Chinese buffet on Northside Dr across from Savannah Ave is changing names. I wonder if there will be any changes to the food.

The new name is Mr. Lin's Buffet.

I wish Golden Corral was still there. I'm not sure why it closed, but i'm guessing bad management. The last few times I went before it closed, it was dirty on the inside, and the food wasn't that great.

Edited by MorganA15

I also agree that my "Bush" rant was very random, but the President being here was the biggest news of the day. I personally want to see a day when Statesboro is not known to be a politically conservative city. I think we can at least acknowledge that Statesboro may become more well known as a moderate city, at least moderate enough to have the President feel the need to come and campaign in. Our District 12 is one of the "swing" districts in this election, and seeing Statesboro host a political rally for that reason could be a factor that brings the community into the news more often. I am personally more concerned due to the rhetoric of the President's visit. I wasnt particularly angry with him until I saw the news that evening and heard what he exactly said. Students in my classes who were asked what he said at the rally stated that they would prefer not to repeat it as it would open a can of worms. Many of them were disappointed with the rally in their own words. Hearing my President demonize Democrats, gay and lesbian Americans, and anyone who opposes the war instead of talking about future plans or what issues Max Burns will tackle was very disheartening.

How do my feelings about this affect development in Statesboro? Well, my feelings on President Bush do not really affect development in Statesboro. This is the Statesboro, GA forum for discussion about "economy, developments, ideas and opinions". This is my opinion.

So what are some ways that the Presidents visit, or the political climate of Statesboro, or getting GSU students registered to vote in Statesboro could affect our development?

I think the Presidents visit, from an economic standpoint was a good thing for Statesboro. His rhetoric was a not so good thing in my opinion. I feel like his rhetoric encouraged a very one-sided worldview, and since we are in the South, specifically South Georgia, one-sided views are bad enough as they are without additional encouragement. I voted for Bush and I feel that his words were very offensive to me. I also share an office with three people who went to the rally and returned very politically "charged". Obviously, everyone at the rally became more encouraged to go out and vote. I on the otherhand also felt more encouraged to vote. On that note, hopefully Statesboro will experience a larger voter turnout than usual. As far as getting GSU students registered to vote, I think that it will have a more positive affect on our local community (in regards to electing city council members who are competant) than anything else. Statesboro leaders do not take GSU students seriously. Why should they? The only time in recent history they became politically involved in the community was at ONE of the alcohol ordinance public hearings. The city tabled the ordinance decision and it worked since students did not return in numeric force as they did at the first public hearing. If students had a history of regularly participating in local politics, Statesboro would have different leadership and probably less restrictive alcohol ordinances and probably more restaurants too for that matter. Chili's, Cheddar's and Outback were in negotiations until Statesboro passed the alcohol ordinances - at which point the two restuarants immediately ended negotiations.

As far as Burns verses Barrow are concerned, the main effect on Statesboro is in regard to the outcome of the interstate-3 plans. If he gets re-elected, I hope Barrow considers connecting Statesboro since we know Burns wants to connect Sylvania. The gerrymandering of District 12 is particularly irritating to me.

How do my feelings about this affect development in Statesboro? Well, my feelings on President Bush do not really affect development in Statesboro. This is the Statesboro, GA forum for discussion about "economy, developments, ideas and opinions". This is my opinion.
Edited by fromsc2tx

Nice try to save, like Kerry blaming Bush for his rant about "If you're not smart enough to finish school, you'll end up in Iraq" Story here, but it doesn't work.

Opinions, yes. Opinion about devleopment & growth. Not politics. You can't change things just to suit your own narrow political agenda. What you said yesterday was in poor taste, and does offend a great number of UP users. Remember, if you want to remain on peoples good side, there are two things you should never discuss: Religion & politics.

I'm done with my rant. I'll be forwarding your comments from yesterday to the mods for review. I come here for developement news, not for half baked political rhetoric. I suspect the majority of others feel the same.

Edited by andremurra

In the past there has been some technical difficulties related to updating the city website. So that might explain months at a time being posted.

Its not required by law to post the minutes online at all, some towns don't post minutes I'm happy the city posts them, minute books are a pain.

Alot of times developments, building and construction, etc... slow down between Thanksgiving and New Years. I have a feeling things will slow down some till the first of next year.

Well, the October building permit info has been released.

Seems as if Shane's Rib Shack obtained one, Comfort Inn (for the expansion), 180 Fitness, and I even saw one that said Sea Island Bank. The location was on Brampton Avenue. It's kind of weird, considering they have a branch right down the road. I'm not sure what's going on.

Speaking of banks, does anybody know when First Southern is planning on building their new branch out there too next to the new McDonalds? The sign has been up almost ever since they built their new "HQ" downtown, and that's been a few years.