Statesboro Development News

andremurra

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, there wasn't any development news, but there was an interesting article about the Chamber of Commerce/Development Authority.

It explains the difference between the two, such as what the two are for, how they're funded, etc. It goes on saying how Georgia Power invited the chamber president (who is also the development authority executive director) to sit at their booth at the International Council of Shopping Centers southeastern conference in Atlanta last month.

The chamber president says how she gets multiple calls and visits on a regular basis from commercial developers.

Anyway, here's the rest of the article if you want to read it: http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/799/

Oh, and to put the grocery store rumor to semi-rest, she said that more then one commerical developer is looking for locations to construct a large retail development. They plan for a grocery store to be the anchor, but nothing is final at this time. :whistling:

Edited by MorganA15

City Council voted on several items:

Denied a variance request for 713 South Main

Approved rezoning from R-6 to CR for a .16 acre parcel at the northwest corner of MLK and Roundtree.

Delayed the annexations on Bird Lane and Lanier Drive to the next meeting.

Denied rezoning from R-15 to PUD for a 5.3 acre parcel on the Zetterower Road

Approved a parking variance for Midtown at 441 South Main

The Cawana development, I believe, is going to be a small subdivision of about 20-ish Single Family Unit homes. Im thinking/hoping its going to be a small Bradford Place but I got a small vibe that the homes will be lower valued homes. I believe the development is mentioned in the Bulloch County BOC Minutes on the county website.

The Cawana development, I believe, is going to be a small subdivision of about 20-ish Single Family Unit homes. Im thinking/hoping its going to be a small Bradford Place but I got a small vibe that the homes will be lower valued homes. I believe the development is mentioned in the Bulloch County BOC Minutes on the county website.
Edited by MorganA15

Georgia Amendment 1. Bars eminent domain for private purposes.

This is a Legislative Referendum

According to the National Conference of State Legislatives website...

as of 3 am with 96% of the precints reporting the amendment passes (82%)

This amendment will require that the condemnation of property for redevelopment purposes must be approved by vote of the elected governing authority of the county or city in which the property is located. It will restrict the use of eminent domain for redevelopment purposes to the elimination of harm. It will provide that the use of eminent domain by counties and municipalities shall be subject to limitation by general law. It prohibits the use of eminent domain by certain nonelected local authorities. It provides for submission of this amendment for ratification or rejection.

Yeah I voted for that - was kinda confused at first from the wording whether i should vote yes or no...lol. I also wrote in Spongebob Squarepants for one of the candidates. Im confused tho, why did the city send your friend a letter, Nova? The property I am thinking about is located in the county.

Yeh I dont like legal mumbo jumbo, normal people are voting, write it so normal people can understand...

"aight this here amendment 1 says...there aint no government allowed to take someones land for any dern reason except public use"

My friend said it was being annexed and zoned for a single family subdivision.

Yeah it is... I read the letter today... its 9 acres on the west side of Cawana Road and 20 acres on the east side... There is a meeting on Nov 14th at 5pm (i think) for anyone who is interested. Its not actually a public hearing but they will allow people to offer opinions on the development proposal. And the developers want Statesboro to annex it, yes.

I was looking at Oct 17 City Council meeting notes, and an interesting item caught my eye.

They project by 2010, Statesboro will have a population of 27,800, just 1,266 more than 2005. Only 30,000 will be here in 2020. I just find it hard to believe, that in 15 years Statesboro's population will only grow by 3,466 people.

Same thing applies to a recent figure for Bulloch County I recently saw. Between 2000 and 2030, they only expect us to get 26,128 residents. I don't understand. There seems to be too many new people moving here and too many new residential projects going on for us to grow only by those small numbers.

Maybe it's just me.

Edited by MorganA15

Its not just you, Morgan, for some reason local authorities just seem to have been downplaying Statesboro's growth as much as possible - I personally think they are just wishfully believing that Statesboro is going to remain small forever. Its very unlikely that Statesboro will stay the same size. It has already quadrupled its population since I was born, and it really didnt start booming booming until the last couple years.

Georgia Trends magazine estimated the (current at the time of publishing) 2005 population to be over 32,000. I have seen many different projections and estimates from various sources. I saw a 24,430 for 2003, a 26,612 for 2004, and I remember seeing a 28,000 estimate from another source a year or two ago. But also remember that Statesboro is a tiny 13 square miles in area, and there are very small areas in the city limits that are left for development. Most developers seem to be taking a "radius" approach to attract commercial investors. For instance, instead of citing the city's current population estimate, they cite a 5, 15, or 30 mile radius population which is much larger than a city population, because we all know that the areas immediately adjacent to the city limits of Statesboro are where the most developments are taking place, and of course Brooklet is growing too, very quickly. I see Statesboro and Brooklet merging within the next 5 years, especially at the current rate Statesboro is growing - if it continues. Bulloch County is already over 60,000 and Georgia Trends has already projected it to pass 70,000 by 2009 I think.

Why do I get the feeling that there are some MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR things being secretly planned for Statesboro as we unsuspectingly go on about our daily lives? I dont know, the commercial sector seems to be on a big hush hush lately. Does anyone else feel that vibe? I dont know, I just sense something in the works and I want to know what it is!!!

Edited by andremurra

The population projections were done as part of a project through Coastal GA RDC for the entire region. You can download the report from their website at http://www.coastalgeorgiardc.org/planning_regional.html The local officials are happy that the Study's 2005 estimate exceeds the 2004 Census estimate, but still feel it is an underestimation of the actual current population by a few thousand. They disagree strongly with the projections and feel they are off by a great amount. You can read about the methodology in the report. I was told the city and county government people are looking at other estimation and projection techniques.

Of course there is always a problem with obtaining accurate population figures for cities with large college populations because many students or their parents claim on the Census form the place they came from as their home (permanent) address. They are supposed to list the place they live most of the year. The problem is that you don't know how many reported correctly.

I have serious issues with that population report... in general, not just about Statesboro. There methodology is completely irrelevent for our area, especially the county-share method, when a dumb person would know that the migration patterns in a county change over the course of a few years, much less 25 years. Brooklet is growing like crazy right now and for the report to state that the 2030 estimate is 1600 is ludacris (theyre about to finish a 2-story, 1500-capacity school there). I think Brooklet will hit 10,000 or at least something close to that by 2030. Statesboro on the other hand was already estimated by Georgia Trends to have over 32,000 so to say that the estimate for 2030 is 33,000 is stupid as heck. Portal's 2030 estimate was 800.... wtcrap? (they are adding to the school over there too)? I also felt that it downplayed Pooler too, which already has over 10,000 and their 2030 estimate is only 12,000. I just visited the Sav-Airport at Godley Station and there are at least 20 new restuarants and hotels since I went to the airport a few months ago. So they say that although Pooler grew 4000 in 5 years, it will only grow another 2000 in 25 years? Then I have major issues with the report stating that Bulloch County's residential development is at a 10-year all time low. Have these people even visited Bulloch lately? The school estimates an enrollment of 23,000 for 2009 and the business sector is estimating 25,000 by 2010 according to a real estate broker I know. As a student-leader on campus, I know of plans by the Georgia Board of Regents to pour a TON of money into Georgia Southern over the next several years and there is intention to make it larger than UGA and eventually an equivalent in academic status. The Carnegie Foundation has already upped our status from regional to Research-Doctorate status. I cant truly respect Georgia Tech after reading this document.

Edited by andremurra

Another problem with population estimates and trends is that it doesn't usually take into account current projects and planned or approved projects. When there is not an accurate paper trail of building permits and data on the immediate future housing, then that information is left out which could potentially change the population trend line. Another factor that most likely is not taken into account is rising housing cost in the Savannah area. I know several people who moved to Statesboro b/c of the lower cost housing and commute to Savannah for work. Personally, I feel the numbers recently put out are low, we can only wait and see.

The commercial sector is being pretty quiet lately and I don't think it has moved on. I got a feeling they are thinking and planning.

Well, there was a article was posted today about the whole restaurant thing going on in town.

If you read it, it's the same thing that andremurra has explained for us all before. It explains how about a year ago they were in negotiations with a franchise group with a major chain for the Shell House location. Then, the fuss over the alcohol ordinance, and the the chain never granted the group with a franchise. With those backing out, it pretty much put a stop to anybody looking to invest in Statesboro. Now each chain is looking at each other, seeing is who will make the first move. Once one comes and succeeds, the others will follow.

I'm positive that City Council didn't take into consideration the negative effects this ordinance would have on Statesboro.

article: http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/929/

Edited by MorganA15

Well, there was a article was posted today about the whole restaurant thing going on in town.

If you read it, it's the same thing that andremurra has explained for us all before. It explains how about a year ago they were in negotiations with a franchise group with a major chain for the Shell House location. Then, the fuss over the alcohol ordinance, and the the chain never granted the group with a franchise. With those backing out, it pretty much put a stop to anybody looking to invest in Statesboro. Now each chain is looking at each other, seeing is who will make the first move. Once one comes and succeeds, the others will follow.

I'm positive that City Council didn't take into consideration the negative effects this ordinance would have on Statesboro.

article: http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/929/

Edited by andremurra

There is a Planning Commission meeting tonight.

The mall is wanting a parking variance in order to allow the Starbucks Coffee and there is the annexation off Cawana of 20 some acres.

That was a pretty interesting article in the paper. On that poll where Olive Garden recieved the most votes, I have my doubts about Olive Garden coming here any time soon.

My hometown is much larger than Statesboro and Olive Garden was only recently opened there. I was surprised not to see Chilis in the list of options for that poll.

Now there is a new poll asking about grocery stores.

My co-worker was complaining about there being a thick smoke near his apartment today. I went to the council meeting since I "legally" live in Bradford Place and they are wanting to develop 30 acres into a subdivision and put 2-3 entrances on Cawana Road. Most of my neighbors were more concerned about the sharp curve on Cawana right before there would be a place to stop and turn into a subdivision. Some complained about development in the area and others said they always knew the Cawana-Beasley Corridor would be the next to go. Regardless, against the residents approval, the planning board approved the plan to go before the city council. Some residents were complaining that they can see the bypass now from Cawana and they had never been able to see it before and the cut down trees had removed a sound buffer. Um Im pretty sure youre blind if you couldnt see the bypass yet and the thin group of trees being removed didnt increase the noise any from 2000 feet away. They were unhappy that the houses in the subdivision would not be as valuable as the ones in Bradford Place. The houses in Bradford Place are not really that big, but they are selling for a pretty penny. The market value of our home has doubled since we moved in. Several of the homes in Phase I have sold for over 300k. The new development would be approximately 3 homes to an acre I think is what was said. Residents were complaining about that too, but in actuality, it would probably look just like Bradford Place, because the only reason our lots are so big is because they are very narrow and very deep. They just wont have as big back yards as us is all, in my opinion. Im not sure what they plan to do with the lot between Cawana and the Bypass... I missed the first hour of the meeting.