Parking, the bane of Hartford's existence?

Cotuit

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That hints at the point I am trying to make............that making the city more walkable is even more important than another parking garage. If Hartford was a real walkable city, that garage would be ideal for events at the Bushnell, State Capitol, State Armory and Bushnell Park which are all within a half mile.

Since Hartford is so fragmented, distances seem greater. Therefore people are not willing to walk as far and the parking facilities such as the one mentioned are worthless.

That hints at the point I am trying to make............that making the city more walkable is even more important than another parking garage. If Hartford was a real walkable city, that garage would be ideal for events at the Bushnell, State Capitol, State Armory and Bushnell Park which are all within a half mile.

Since Hartford is so fragmented, distances seem greater. Therefore people are not willing to walk as far and the parking facilities such as the one mentioned are worthless.

Does Hartford actually utilize the full potential of existing garages? What goes on with that underground garage for The Hartford on Farmington Avenue outside of 9-5 on weekdays?

I used to park there in high school when I worked at the Hartford in the afternoon. To my knowledge it's a private garage. I'm not even sure there is any public access whatsoever anyway even if the public did want to utilize it.

Mikel, you really don't get it.

If the city build a couple of more downtown garages, it would put the surface lots out of business. The city garages would be inexpensive (compared to the private surface lots) and that would help bring people into the core of the city. There is virtually no downside to having abundant , inexpensive parking in downtown Hartford. It would help corporations, restaurants, retailers, museums, and downtown residents. In time it would more than pay for itself by becoming the lynch pin of a thriving downtown.

I used to park there in high school when I worked at the Hartford in the afternoon. To my knowledge it's a private garage. I'm not even sure there is any public access whatsoever anyway even if the public did want to utilize it.

If you still worked there and planned to attend an event at the Civic Center or Bushnell (after work), would it be reasonable to leave your car in the same garage? Or would you need to relocate your car to another parking facility?

Putting a trolley would be just as useful as painting our buses with gold leaf. How in the world would that be useful? It would even be slower than a bus because they cannot change lanes and everybody knows how poor driving skills are in Hartford, imagine these idiots dealing with trolleys. If it's not on the rail line, it's just useless.

There was an event at civic center last night that drew a fair amount of people into Hartford. I noticed people were using garages, surface lots, meters, some parked illegally :w00t: , and some even have to walk more than 5 minutes. I think if there is an event to draw people in, then people will put up with the parking situation, because I believe people expect parking spaces are going to be hard to come by. This leads me to think maybe parking is not as big a problem as we think. If the city has enough draws, then parking is a minor issue. On any given weekend, you can find free park anywhere in the city and still there is not enough people in Hartford. Why? Because there is not enough attraction to fill the city.

There was an event at civic center last night that drew a fair amount of people into Hartford. I noticed people were using garages, surface lots, meters, some parked illegally :w00t: , and some even have to walk more than 5 minutes. I think if there is an event to draw people in, then people will put up with the parking situation, because I believe people expect parking spaces are going to be hard to come by. This leads me to think maybe parking is not as big a problem as we think. If the city has enough draws, then parking is a minor issue. On any given weekend, you can find free park anywhere in the city and still there is not enough people in Hartford. Why? Because there is not enough attraction to fill the city.

jcrc -- think about what you just said,

"I think if there is an event to draw people in, then people will put up with the parking situation."

Wouldn't it be nice if people visited the city without needing some kind of event that crosses the threshold you just set up? How about making the city easy and convenient to visit even when there isn't some major event that makes it worth putting up with a huge hassle.

jcrc -- think about what you just said,

"I think if there is an event to draw people in, then people will put up with the parking situation."

Wouldn't it be nice if people visited the city without needing some kind of event that crosses the threshold you just set up? How about making the city easy and convenient to visit even when there isn't some major event that makes it worth putting up with a huge hassle.

A large parking garage near Union Station would enhance delvelopment and give the visitors something to do.

Do you recall one developer wanted to raze 410 Asylum and build a parking lot there. The city stopped it. Maybe this project would have gone forward with adequate parking in western downtown.

Mikel, you really don't get it.

If the city build a couple of more downtown garages, it would put the surface lots out of business. The city garages would be inexpensive (compared to the private surface lots) and that would help bring people into the core of the city. There is virtually no downside to having abundant , inexpensive parking in downtown Hartford. It would help corporations, restaurants, retailers, museums, and downtown residents. In time it would more than pay for itself by becoming the lynch pin of a thriving downtown.

A large parking garage near uUnion Station would enhance delvelopment and give the visitors something to do.

Do you reall on developer wanted to raze 410 Asylum and build a parking lot there. the city stopped it. Maybe his project would have gone forward with adequate parking in western downtown.

Unfortunely the Hartford Democrats were able to destroy the wealthiest neighbor in the city, the Nook Farm. They build Hartford Public High School on the land.

The reason, it was their big move to destroy a Republican neighborhood and put Hartfpod firmly in Democratic control. Hartford is still suffering from that idiotic ploy.

Archived