5401 North

Tayfromcarolina

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live out past that way. The amount of growth in North East Raleigh and adjoining Wake Forest and Rolesville is explosive. But I will miss the way the rural charm is getting eaten up. But on the other hand my house value is definitely increasing.

No real visible developments yet, except for the tall "Paul Bunyanesque" statue was removed about a 2 weeks ago. This development will be unique in the fact that it will have an elementary school built in as well as a city of Raleigh Recreation Facility possibly with swimming pools. And a large assisted living component. And a Movie Theater, as well as offices.

5401 North 540 @ Lousiburg Rd.

I hope this development lives up the hype on its website, which emphasizes "leaving the car keys at home" and pedestrian-oriented development. I've briefly looked at their renderings and look somewhat promising. However, I am still really cautious of anything labeled new urbanism.

For the sake of North Raleigh, I am hoping this development, along with North Hills, can set examples of true mixed-use, walkable communities that will help cut down the need for people to get in their car.

Seems to be a lifestyle center which are ever more popular these days. Here is a schematic of Reston Virginia's Town Center as comparison and here is the website. Some may argue they are not true urban centers as a lot of these centers are essentially an urban project plopped down in the midst of suburban sprawl but better this than more disconnected strip shopping centers, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Not directly related to this project, but also in the 540 corridor.... I talked to a construction worker at the Kmart plaza on Capital and he said the store they are building next to Kmart is an HH Gregg. They also completely repainted the outside of Kmart and fixed up the inside as well. The plaze looks nothing like an eyesore now. They just need to repave the parking lot now and it will be near perfect.

• 9 months later...

5401 North Phase I is under review by the city. I'm not totally clear on the approval process for these large master planned communities. The master plan was approved, but I suppose that does not include final designs for the site/bldg layout. This seems to be part of the single family portion by the river.

FYI, here's the 4501 North website for more info.

Archived