Charleston Photo of the Day

gs3

I forgot to add, this is one of my favorite restaraunts...all the tourists go to Hyman's, which is ok, but they make the lines entirely too long....Hanks is better, and normally has much shorter waiting times.

I agree with you about Hanks. Another good place in French Quarter or City Market is Mistrial. My favorite neighborhood restaurant on the peninsula is a place called Fuel, which used to be an old gas/service station, located a few blocks south of the Design District or upper King Street...They make excellent grilled tuna tacos, and the cocktails are strong and good. Few tourists have discovered it and the crowd is more youthful. The tacos were so good that I went back for lunch five days in a row!

You've probably heard that Rutledge Coffee & Cream on Ashley Ave. across from The Crosstown has closed, which was one of the last places I had breakfast in Charleston.

Off topic: The IMAX is returning but will be in a mega-cinema complex in West Ashley. And the art-house Terrace on James Island owned by Michael Furlinger has plans to convert the old 415-seat IMAX into the Terrace Hippodrome, which will feature blockbuster films on the big screen...

Edited by Zahc

I forgot to add, this is one of my favorite restaraunts...all the tourists go to Hyman's, which is ok, but they make the lines entirely too long....Hanks is better, and normally has much shorter waiting times.

Could not agree more. Hank's & Frank's Outback in Pawley's Island... the best tuna I've ever had.

You've probably heard that Rutledge Coffee & Cream on Ashley Ave. across from The Crosstown has closed, which was one of the last places I had breakfast in Charleston.

CORRECTION: Rutledge Coffee & Cream was actually located Rutledge Ave. Ashley is one block south of Rutledge down Nunan Street...

rutledge10.jpg

Those bouquets are indeed made from Palmetto leaves. These display a level of talent and initiative, however, there was a debate back in 2007 concerning the young boys from downtown neighborhoods that would make these Palmetto frond flowers to sell to tourists. Apparently some thought that they were more of a nuisance rather than an enterprise.

Grand old house, looks like it's being restored, hopefully that is the case. I'm willing to bet that an old house like that has some very solid wood still left to be utilized.

Hopefully. I was photographing the front of the house because it was so dull and unusual for downtown CHARLESTON. And it wasn't turned sideways with beautiful piazzas when the son of the father who owns this house walked up, introduced himself and encouraged me to see the back of house, which was indeed far more impressive.

IMG_8408.jpg

Edited by Zahc

These are gorgeous landscape photographs, almost abstract, very moody. Wonderful work that reminds me of the watercolors of Emil Nolde, one of my favorite painters. Here is an example of one of his watercolors

Thank you *very* much for the kind words. I created those images using a zone plate - I think it was the perfect application for it.

I was unfamiliar with Emil Nolde's work and I have to say "oh my!" he saw the world much the same way as I do! My work has, over the past year or two, become increasingly abstract and moody and I've never been happier with it!

Edited by ondrovic

Those bouquets are indeed made from Palmetto leaves. These display a level of talent and initiative, however, there was a debate back in 2007 concerning the young boys from downtown neighborhoods that would make these Palmetto frond flowers to sell to tourists. Apparently some thought that they were more of a nuisance rather than an enterprise.

You know, at first I too thought they were a bit of a nuissence, but then you think what they could be getting into to try and make a little money, or think what they could be doing w/ that time, and I applaud them...I've gone ahead and bought a couple from them too...they just add to the overall vibe downtown. I like the initiative they show.

You know, at first I too thought they were a bit of a nuissence, but then you think what they could be getting into to try and make a little money, or think what they could be doing w/ that time, and I applaud them...I've gone ahead and bought a couple from them too...they just add to the overall vibe downtown. I like the initiative they show.

The same: I bought a couple of them as well (for my mother when I was visiting) and recorded one of the vendors twisting and tying these leaves skillyfully and very quickly into a flower. It was amazing...I hope they will be still be there when I come back to Charleston next Fall.

Way Off Reflection: I saw an old film from 1946 over the weekend called Undercurrent with Kate Hepburn, Robert Taylor & Robert Mitchum in what became a fantastic spell-binder and was pleased to hear a character playing a Judge telling Kate's character at a dinner party that "there was no place in the world more beautiful than Charleston in April..."

The idea was neat but they did become a huge nuisance. Some kind of rule was passed where they can only sell them in certain areas or have to have some kind of permit. I don't remember the specifics. But they had become way too aggressive and would swarm people trying to make a sale. But I don't want them gone, not at all.