Charleston Photo of the Day

gs3

Charleston Moment of a day

3/14/2018

HOLY CITY BRIDGE

Picture
Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge erected in 2005 over the Cooper River connecting downtown Charleston to Mount Pleasant. The eight-lane bridge has a main span of 1,546 feet and rises to a height of 573 feet.
Picture

CHARLESTON AFTER DARK

Picture
THE SUNDAY LATE NIGHT DRAG SHOW @ DUDLEY'S ON ANN

THE FRENCH QUARTER
CHARLESTON CITY MARKET
MARKET STREET @ MEETING

Picture
City Market Arch
Picture
Back view of the stunning Greek Revival landmark built in 1841 houses Charleston's Confederate Museum rising above City Market

MIDTOWN
UPPER KING STREET

"DUDLEY'S ON ANN" STREET'S POPULAR DRAG SHOW UNFOLDS FRIDAY & SATURDAY NIGHTS AT 10:00 PM AND SUNDAYS AT 11:00 PM TIL...

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture
HAVE YOUR DOLLARS (ABOUT $25) READY TO STUFF INTO DRAG QUEENS CLEAVAGES OR WHERE EVER ...ELSE RISK A DIRTY LOOK IN RETURN.

3/16/2018

SLOW-MOTION SECOND

"I am stimulated by every slow-motion second of old Charleston that makes her eternal in my mind..." ⎯Charles Pearson

MOVEMENT DOWN MEETING STREET

@John Street to Broad
Picture
Meeting Street at John St (Eastside)
Picture
Meeting Street edge of Ansonborough
Picture
Meeting Street at Market Street/Hasell (French Quarter)
Picture
Meeting Street at City Market
Picture
Meeting Street (French Quarter)
Picture
Meeting Street at Queen Street
Meeting Street at South of Broad Street
Picture
Meeting Street near Broad at St. Micheal's Church is similar in many respects to London's St. Martin-in-the-Field.
Picture
Meeting at Broad Street (Federal Law: Old US Post Office/Federal Courthouse)

"Charleston presents a careful veneer of half-truths and outright fabrications, and it lets you, the intended conquest, fill in many of the blanks. Seduction, after all, is not true love, nor is it a gentle act. She whispers stories spun from sugar about pirates and patriots and rebels, about plantations and traditions and manners and yes, even ghosts; but the entire time she is guarded about the real story. Few tourists ever hear the truth, because at the dark heart of Charleston is a winding tale of violence, tragedy and, most of all, sin.”James CaskeyCharleston's Ghosts: Hauntings in the Holy City
Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

• Like 1

"Come quickly, have found heaven.” –Artist Alfred Hutty in a wire to his wife upon discovering Charleston
Picture
Erected in 1820 and completed in 1828 by original owner Shipping merchant Charles Edmondston, a Scottish immigrant from the Shetland Islands. Original architecture English Regency. A third floor was added in 1838.
Picture

Picture

Picture
There are large window and door openings for good air flow circulation to act as a type of air-conditioner. The house's outbuildings originally contained the kitchen and servants' quarters. The back part of the property originally was the horse stables and facilities for carriages. Horse stables have been converted into Carriage Houses.
Picture

Picture

Picture
The house acquired the family names of the various owners.(i.e. Charles Edmonston House, Charles Alston House, Middleton-Smith House). The house has remained in the Alston family line since 1838 and was converted into a museum in 1973.
Picture

Picture

Picture
Charles Alston, a successful Lowcountry rice planter and rice producer, bought the property in 1838. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

CHARLESTON PLACE

9/26/2018

Picture
205 Meeting Street

TheCHARLESTONLIFE
Picture

Picture
UPPER KING STREET

"I've tried, I've tried, I've tried,