Charleston Photo of the Day

gs3

Wow! @ Capers Island. It looks like one of those ancient,primordial, untouched by man seashores. The beauty there is beyond words. :camera:

It is definately beautiful. I love getting out there as often as I can. The only current man made structures on the island are the DNR Rangers cabin in the middle of the island and the locks for the lagoon which used to be a rice patty. The island is fun to hike around with so much wildlife: alligators, dear, coyotes, raccoons, and lots of birds. If you go in the summer and go into the middle of the island where there isnt a breeze be sure to bring plenty of bug spray as the mosquitos will eat you alive and if you camp out there be prepared to be attacked by the many many raccoons at night. Another lesson learned the hard way if you go walking on the beach make sure its low tide when the beach is way out, or else high tide can come very close up to the tree line as noted below where we got stuck at high tide.

P3150006.jpg

And here is just one of the many Alligators that just happened to be sunning by our old campsite (you are no longer allowed to camp at this site just at the north or south beach)

P3160043.jpg

It is definately beautiful. I love getting out there as often as I can. The only current man made structures on the island are the DNR Rangers cabin in the middle of the island and the locks for the lagoon which used to be a rice patty. The island is fun to hike around with so much wildlife: alligators, dear, coyotes, raccoons, and lots of birds. If you go in the summer and go into the middle of the island where there isnt a breeze be sure to bring plenty of bug spray as the mosquitos will eat you alive and if you camp out there be prepared to be attacked by the many many raccoons at night. Another lesson learned the hard way if you go walking on the beach make sure its low tide when the beach is way out, or else high tide can come very close up to the tree line as noted below where we got stuck at high tide.

P3150006.jpg

And here is just one of the many Alligators that just happened to be sunning by our old campsite (you are no longer allowed to camp at this site just at the north or south beach)

P3160043.jpg

Awesome! I imagine the entire coastline looked similar to this before man's arrival and development. :good:

Wow, that gator looked pretty huge. Is the best method to avoid them not camping near the water? I guess you could camp on the beach, but any creeks or rivers seem to be a nice hangout for gators.

yeah the first year we started camping there (2001) we got there very late and just stopped at the first campsite we came across which was only about 3/4 mile from the boat dock and we didnt have much time to scout out the area first. The next morning we started to explore the island and thats when we noticed the lagoon right next door where the alligators liked to hang out. The next year when we came back that campsite was roped off and maked letting you know not to camp there and according to our new permit you can only camp at either the north beach (where there really isnt much space but preferable if your coming by kayak) or the south beach, where right before you get towards the dunes on the trail theres about 3 seperate huge open areas where you can setup camp which is where we stayed in 2002, 2003,2004,and 2005. 2006 we decided to live it up a bit and went to Hilton Head for spring break as we are all out of College now and actually have some money. But I am looking forward to our next trip up the ICW to Capers as you always find something new and interesting out there.

Capers Island is beautiful, absolutely beautiful. How have all those trees gotten like that on that island. It is similar to Jekyll Island in GA, but that island is residential, but part of the beach has trees laying like that on it.

Erosion, same thing is happening on north portion of Folley, where Morris Island light house is best viewed.

Capers Island is beautiful, absolutely beautiful. How have all those trees gotten like that on that island. It is similar to Jekyll Island in GA, but that island is residential, but part of the beach has trees laying like that on it.

Lots of erosion from the shore changing and lots of Hurricanes over the years that have scattered them about the shore.

Jekyll Island is beautiful also. Have you been there recently? The state of Georgia which owns Jekyll Island is considering multimillion dollar investments to "spruce up aging accomadations and sagging income" This has the potential to completely change the character of the island. :unsure:

post-12130-1173417198_thumb.jpg

Charleston Forumers, these photos are very nice, but where are the construction pics, development pics, etc.? :unsure: PLEASE, someone go take some snapshots of the huge CofC development on St. Philip St., or the Upper King developments, or MUSC's newest buildings, etc., etc.

Is it because all of us Charleston posters are "remote" admirers of the city? Is there no one actually in downtown Charleston to take any pictures of developments? It's disappointing that NO ONE on here ever ventures into downtown or thereabouts to take some pics of exciting current projects (myself included)! I'll have to do that on my next visit . . .

Indeed. I am suprised there is not more interest in Charleston or even the north area, given the volume of projects going on just downtown and in N Charleston- not to mention the surrounding areas and the fact that Charleston is the best urban area in the South. There could be very intelligent discussions about design and other issues of urban life that just couldn't happen in other cities in the state at this point in time.

If anyone wants to suggest a better way to set up the Charleston forum to draw in more interest (and get those lurkers to sign up!) then please share.

To all lurkers: come on and sign up! you know you want to! :)

I'm downtown just about everyday but I never have a camera with me or if I do I'm always doing something and don't even think about shooting pics.

Bee Street Lofts

beestreet.jpg

Thanks, MikesLogic, you have gotten the ball rolling . . .

I wonder what the College of Charleston project at St. Philip & George Streets looks like? . . . . :whistling:

I'm downtown just about everyday but I never have a camera with me or if I do I'm always doing something and don't even think about shooting pics.

Bee Street Lofts

beestreet.jpg

Excellent picture of the Bee St. lofts! :thumbsup: This development is likely to inspire similar projects in the downtown vicinity. The 3 or 4 condo projects going up immediately across the Cooper River in Mt. Pleasant come to mind....

I like the Bee Street lofts. The facade reminds me of the Renaissance Plaza development in Columbia.

Do we REALLY want to know the price range? :)

Somebody like me is bound to speak out about the price. They start at $350,000 and go up to $1,156,000 :silly:

These look great! :thumbsup: From the photo, it looks they may have a ground level garage parking.....do they also have retail on the ground level?

That is indeed ground level parking and the Lofts are located on the DASH Downtown Loop but unfortunely I don't know anything about the possibility of ground level retail. I'm doubtful that this part of downtown could support that- lack of foot traffic and all that.