Charleston Photo of the Day

gs3

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I didn't even realize construction had started on Midtown, much less finished up in some places.

It is amazing to watch the transformation of Midtown and they are building at a furious pace. Here are some more pictures of the neighborhood. Just look at the density! ^_^

post-12130-1177418010_thumb.jpg

post-12130-1177418079_thumb.jpg

post-12130-1177418122_thumb.jpg

post-12130-1177418177_thumb.jpg

post-12130-1177418252_thumb.jpg

post-12130-1177418336_thumb.jpg

Fantastic. That clears things up alot. I remember seeing the same buidings (between Spreing and Cannon) about a year ago when I was in Charleston. I didn't realize what they were going to be (still way early in construction). I am generally pleased with their design.

• 2 months later...

The one pictured :

http://www.midtownofcharleston.com/

The other one by CC&T and some other partners:

http://www.greenhawkpartners.com/midtown.htm

Fantastic. That clears things up alot. I remember seeing the same buidings (between Spreing and Cannon) about a year ago when I was in Charleston. I didn't realize what they were going to be (still way early in construction). I am generally pleased with their design.

Charleston's new "singles" mid-town is impressive & pricey!!!

Sorry to be so negative (what else is new, huh? ;) ) but I used to live between these two "Midtown" projects, and they are essentially student ghettos built strictly "no frills". The students are packed in like sardines with two small rooms per floor and nary a yard and with garages underneath barely big enough for a Toyota Yaris. Sure they look kinda cool on the outside, but they are basically apartments masquerading as single houses. A better design would have been to make them rowhouses, which Charleston has precious little of. These developments are not up to Charleston standards, IMO.

I also reject the appellation "Midtown", since the neighborhood where these two are built already has a name dating back centuries: Cannonborough (sometimes called Elliottborough). To me, the Neck is more of a "Midtown".

Edited by digital_sandlapper

Sorry to be so negative (what else is new, huh? ;) ) but I used to live between these two "Midtown" projects, and they are essentially student ghettos built strictly "no frills". The students are packed in like sardines with two small rooms per floor and nary a yard and with garages underneath barely big enough for a Toyota Yaris. Sure they look kinda cool on the outside, but they are basically apartments masquerading as single houses. A better design would have been to make them rowhouses, which Charleston has precious little of. These developments are not up to Charleston standards, IMO.

I also reject the appellation "Midtown", since the neighborhood where these two are built already has a name dating back centuries: Cannonborough (sometimes called Elliottborough). To me, the Neck is more of a "Midtown".

I didn't see any negs, which would not/does not bother me...but I think understand your point of view mildly... I don't exactly recall where Midtown Charleston or Cannonborough is since I haven't lived in CharlesTon since Halloween 1983; for about two years, I lived with a bookstore owner from San Francisco in an unfinished 2-story apt. above the shop at 369 King Street...and loved having the students as neighbors 'cause I was that young and restless age then, and city of Charleston and the people I met, who ironically were transplants from someplace else, was an exciting town for me as I came of...age...I enjoyed my early years of youth (age then: 20-23) in Charleston...

I think I like the new hip-Midtown dwellings 'cause they remind somewhat of the same "style" that started here during San Francisco's great dot.com boom (before that boom went bust in 00s & The City would lose some 40,000+ souls)...like this cooper and glass residence/condo on 14th and Guerrero Street, San Francisco--two blocks from where I live. As far I know, the residences have only street parking...but we do have an almost excellent transit system in place unlike Charleston...

14thandGuerrero_FileFoto.jpg

Edited by Zahc

I didn't see any negs, which would not/does not bother me...but I think understand your point of view mildly... I don't exactly recall where Midtown Charleston or Cannonborough is since I haven't lived in CharlesTon since Halloween 1983; for about two years, I lived with a bookstore owner from San Francisco in an unfinished 2-story apt. above the shop at 369 King Street...and loved having the students as neighbors 'cause I was that young and restless age then, and city of Charleston and the people I met, who ironically were transplants from someplace else, was an exciting town for me as I came of...age...I enjoyed my early years of youth (age then: 20-23) in Charleston...

I think I like the new hip-Midtown dwellings 'cause they remind somewhat of the same "style" that started here during San Francisco's great dot.com boom (before that boom went bust in 00s & The City would lose some 40,000+ souls)...like this cooper and glass residence/condo on 14th and Guerrero Street, San Francisco--two blocks from where I live. As far I know, the residences have only street parking...but we do have an almost excellent transit system in place unlike Charleston...

14thandGuerrero_FileFoto.jpg

Zahc, what a fabulous townhouse! :wub: The ones going up in Charleston are not at all hip, modern, or progressive like this. I wish we COULD get those modern buildings built here in S.C., but it'll never happen because our developers are wusses when it comes to such bold designs. Wow, imagine such designs in new developments like Canalside in Columbia, or The Neck in Charleston, or Noisette in N. Chas. I think the latter especially could get away with it since so many of the '40s and '50s-era buildings there are being preserved and re-used as artists' lofts, etc. there. Heck, even Myrtle Beach could have these in abundance! Thanks for posting that pic--maybe an innovative developer here will see it and get inspired to ramp up the S.C. housing landscape a little . . .

Zahc, what a fabulous townhouse! :wub: The ones going up in Charleston are not at all hip, modern, or progressive like this. I wish we COULD get those modern buildings built here in S.C., but it'll never happen because our developers are wusses when it comes to such bold designs. Wow, imagine such designs in new developments like Canalside in Columbia, or The Neck in Charleston, or Noisette in N. Chas. I think the latter especially could get away with it since so many of the '40s and '50s-era buildings there are being preserved and re-used as artists' lofts, etc. there. Heck, even Myrtle Beach could have these in abundance! Thanks for posting that pic--maybe an innovative developer here will see it and get inspired to ramp up the S.C. housing landscape a little . . .

Yes, I could see such townhouse designs in MYRTLE Beach...or even City of GREENVILLE. BUT it would be nicer to see them in a new 21st Century CHARLESTON that seems to be taking shape. This one built at 14th & Guerrero in SF is quite a beauty as I've always thought, and was actually built several houses up from what used be a notoriously violent and drug-filled housing project erected in one of those hideous 1930's prison-style design that was supposed to be "comtempory" at the time. However, ValGardens has been demolished entirely and re-BUILT (completed in 2005). The new projects looks nothing like the hideous mess it had been. It is definitely one of the best low-income "modern" projects City of San Francisco has ever built. Seems the cooper house at 14th has also inspired a new bakery in this up and coming neighborhood called "Mission Beach Cafe"--that serves the best French pastries, crossiants & blue bottle coffee...

MIDtown Charleston design does seem "different in look & feel" from the rest of Charleston. However, from the pics I've seen developers have managed to blend in with the neighborhood as if the condos have always been there...but being a little more innovative would have been bolder. A quote from Charleston Business Times (10/2006) by George Reavis, one of Chas Midtown developers:

Edited by Zahc

^I like that myself.

Today's contribution:

Palmetto_steeple.jpg

St. Philip's graceful steeple is always a winner! I was reading a "Charleston Story" book (from 1978) enroute to work this morning by John Francis Marion who says, "Charleston is ironwork, old brick and St. Philip's." From what I've read thus far its to hard believe Charleston even survived until today with so many devastating hurricanes and storms in 1699 and 1713, a great fire in 1698 that leveled the town and brewing trouble among the Indians, particularly the Yemassees...Marion also wrote that Charleston would prob. have grown at a greater rate (like the northeast cities) but for its control by the Assembly, and the lack of local government. A great rivalry developed between Charles Town leaders and those planters living in baronial splendor in the country beyond...Although half of Charles Town accounted for over half of the population of the province of Carolina in 1720, Charles Town was permitted only four represenatives out of thirty in the Commons House...

Charleston has an interesting political history. It dominated SC politics untill well into the 19th century. The City itself used to have several representatives, even when it wasn't half of the state's population.

...indeed Charleston (Charles Town) of teh 18th/19th Centuries was quite fascinating! Author John Francis Marion points out that the balance of scales (Charles Town's representation) were bound to shift in Charles Town's favor; it was only a matter of time..."

chas5.jpg

(Charleston pic copied from web)