Charleston Photo of the Day

gs3

not sure which old church you mean? unless you're referring to the Old City Jail at the foot of Magazine Street across from an housing project in the middle of Million dollar homes...? It seems Charleston no longer has an off-season. I was expecting the city to be quieter & less crowded this time of year. However, it's all good! I so love hearing the toll of St Philip's church bells here...And I think heard St John's today...

Yeah I suppose If I would have read your titles I would have seen the part that says "Old City Jail" :rolleyes:^_^

Its a really cool building though. It looks too nice to be a jail. I hope they plan on restoring that into.... well, anything.

Sinister-looking Old City Jail

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

Yeah I suppose If I would have read your titles I would have seen the part that says "Old City Jail" :rolleyes:^_^

Its a really cool building though. It looks too nice to be a jail. I hope they plan on restoring that into.... well, anything.

One of the ghost tours used to take you inside this sinister but wonderful rich historical place when it was vacant for some 60 years with its ugly past...of torture, esp. for those poor African slaves who were caught disregarding curfews for being on city streets after dark...I imagine Charleston's many women caught prostituting were punished and put here, too, back then...

The imposing structure will be saved. It's now part of Charleston's emerging American College of the Building Arts (ACBA), which also purchased a controversal plantation out on James Island...that I think the town of James Island opposed but City of Charleston supported.

www.buildingartscollege.us

Edited by Zahc

She-Crab Soup, two Bloody Mary's & City North Market in 60 minutes

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

John, the host & bartender at Mistrial, is originally from Menlo Park, CA, gives me a perfect table with a view...

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

Charleston she-crab soup is spicey & delicious; a pickled okra was dipped into my bloody Mary...

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3574.jpg

Rhett Butler:

I had no idea that college even existed. What a great use for that building.

I have never heard of that college either, but what a great idea they have...I imagine as that school grows, you'll see a much better ability throughout the country to be able to restore old structures to their former glory. What a great idea for a college, and glad they get to work on that great old jail building.

I'd love to see what their James Island campus will look like.

BTW, great pics zahc, glad you're enjoying your stay in the Low Country, quite a different area from SF I bet.

I'm enjoying the Charleston pics! You need to make your Greenville trip soon... :)

GvilleSC,

You're correct. I've always wanted to see GREENVILLE...It seems the change of weather, atmosphere, pollen or something has made me slightly ill...Don't feel bad really, except I can't stop coughing...allergies I suppose....

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

St Michael's at sunrise: Charleston's version of mother city--London's St Martin in the Field....

IMG_3046.jpg

College of Charleston new basketball arena...

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

Clemson Tiger Pants, King Street Men's store...

IMG_2951.jpg

SC Gamecock Pants, King Street Men's Store

IMG_2950.jpg

King Street, early night

IMG_2944.jpg

The Spirit of the Holiday, Charleston style

IMG_2955.jpg

Edited by Zahc

Awesome pictures zahc...I'll be back there in a couple of weeks, & will try and get some good pictures to show the holiday spirit. Charleston may not get any snow for Christmas, but it still looks fabulous when it's all decorated up. :)

fantastic! hey have you walked the beautiful new bridge yet or seen the City from the new bridge? i started there other day...but got side-track with a hundred other things to see in the Eastside and all the redevelopment going on that I wore myself out, and I was still nearly a mile away from the bridge...but i'd get there eventually. this new Charleston I'm seeing is 100% improved since the time I lived here when I was in college...It's so pristine....that it is hard to believe it's really over 300 years old.

I, too, will be returning to stay in THE CITY for two more weeks (all day, all night) come Tuesday. Today, I'm up in St. Luke Woods in Florence county...CHARLESTON is easy to fall in love with and hard to leave.

More later...

Z

Edited by Zahc

fantastic! hey have you walked the beautiful new bridge yet or seen the City from the new bridge? i started there other day...but got side-track with a hundred other things to see in the Eastside and all the redevelopment going on that I wore myself out, and I was still nearly a mile away from the bridge...but i'd get there eventually. this new Charleston I'm seeing is 100% improved since the time I lived here when I was in college...It's so pristine....that it is hard to believe it's really over 300 years old.

I, too, will be returning to stay in THE CITY for two more weeks (all day, all night) come Tuesday. Today, I'm up in St. Luke Woods in Florence county...CHARLESTON is easy to fall in love with and hard to leave.

More later...

Z

Usually, whenver I stay at my grandparents place in Mt P (Seaside Farms), I head over to the bridge most mornings there, and job it...it's great exercise, w/ an awesome view.

Re-Doing The Charleston "Cheaply" after the fog burns off in 78 degrees weather...

Not So Hostel is a fantastic place to stay with free wi-fi and breakfast that includes good organic coffee..if you don't mine a roommate or find yourself on budget and going overbudget, check it out...And then there's rich & elegant CHARLESTON right outside your door upon awaking...

IMG_6995.jpg

IMG_6998.jpg

IMG_6993.jpg

Spring Street, where Not So Hostel is located, just off the Crosstown, the Medical District & the Ashley...

IMG_6997.jpg

...backyard cottages or carriage houses and bikes for rent...

IMG_6989.jpg

Modern Charleston, east of the Ashley, enroute to see Brittlebank Park and the Ashley River...

IMG_7011.jpg

...Wow! This McDonalds is stunning and like none I've never seen! Had a free ice-coffee here enroute to the Ashley & met a few locals w/ authentic gullah accents...

IMG_7012.jpg

P.S. I just became the designated "taster" of free coffee samples here...so I am buzzing.

Edited by Zahc

An engineer who caught my curious camera this morning was kind of enough to let me into "THE JOE" Park, home of the CHARLESTON RIVERDOGS baseball squad, to take pics of a very nice stadium I would love to see the RIVERDOGS play any opponent...

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7154.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg

IMG_7178.jpg

IMG_7206.jpg

IMG_7211.jpg

IMG_7207.jpg

IMG_7208.jpg

IMG_7231.jpg

IMG_7205.jpg

IMG_7198.jpg

IMG_7227.jpg