Metro Detroit Photo of the Day

ZachariahDaMan

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ There's a theater in Vassar, MI that looks just like. Drive up M-15 and holla at it!

Okay here's my contribution! What Detroit comes to Canton for

ikea.jpg

I've been trying to build a table to inlay my lasercut chicago neighborhood in (not built yet). After my poorly welded joints cracked, and my friend shattered the glass, I figured I'd just be better off buying one cheap. Good thing the model hasn't been sent to the cutter yet because the Ikea coffee table undershelf is an inch shorter in length.

^ Very interesting. I've only heard of the old airport but had never seen it. Thanks for sharing.

dtown, the purple building appears to be all brick beneath it, so I'm not sure there are any limestone details and stuff. The one with the powerwashed front has me interested though just a few buildings down. Looks like its being rehabbed.

• 2 weeks later...

I volunteer at the Canton Historical Museum and was given a new assignment. I will be putting together a little booklet called "Lost Canton" that will include Canton's old houses that are gone. I'll also have to see about putting one together of the Canton houses that are still standing. So I have made a huge list from various sources of old houses in Canton and have been going around to areas I'm not too familiar with to see which ones are still up.

112_3849.jpg

At the museum yesterday I was told that this house is going to get demolished soon. I'll have to find out why.

Jakubowski House

112_3859.jpg

112_3850.jpg

Clyde House

112_3852.jpg

Hauk House

112_3853.jpg

112_3854.jpg

Horner House

112_3855.jpg

112_3860.jpg

112_3861.jpg

112_3862.jpg

Kinyon House

112_3864.jpg

Moore House- a centennial farm

112_3865.jpg

I went to the Canton Ikea for the first time last Saturday. Wow. lol...

Traffic is a disaster, and I found it humerous that if you decide to be sneaky and take a back road in order to eventually get back in the direction you want to go, you'd likely end up on a dirt road not far from the Ikea.

And to think, just in a few years at the 2010 census it was have over 100,000 people probably become the 3 or 4th largest suburb in the Metro Area, and one of the 10 largest 'city' in the state. There needs to be a law like in many other states that after your area becomes to populous that you must incorporate as a city to provide the full services and infastructure needed to support such a population.

Edited by Lmichigan

Are other cities suburbs as bad as Detroit's when it comes not paving roads or providing proper infrastructure for their populations? I don't know, I've been to a lot of cities across the US and experienced their suburbs as well, and they seem to have paved roads, but you go to a lot of Detroit's and many roads are dirt.

I dunno, sometimes I feel its a good thing. If area residents are dissatisfied with the dirt roads, thats their own problem.

In most other states, central cities are either surrounded by incorporated suburbs that have to provide the functions of a city, or the county takes the role of the townships. Michigan devolves a tremendous amount of administrative authority to the township level. However, I believe that local roads in townships, in Michigan, are administered by the county. If that's the case, though, I'm still not sure why so many are allowed to keep upaved roads.

EDIT: a little research reveals that some townships do mantain their own roads, while others relinquish that power to the county-level road commissions. I guess for places like Canton or Redford it would be interesting to find out who maintains their roads, Wayne County or the townships.

Edited by Lmichigan

I went to the Canton Ikea for the first time last Saturday. Wow. lol...

Traffic is a disaster, and I found it humerous that if you decide to be sneaky and take a back road in order to eventually get back in the direction you want to go, you'd likely end up on a dirt road not far from the Ikea.