Metro Detroit Photo of the Day

ZachariahDaMan

No, I didn't get lost. Ford Road and I-275 are pretty simple. It's just that traffic flow was a tangled wreck and instead of waiting in the left turn lane, which extended far beyond the left turn lane, for 5 light changes was not going to fly with my patience. Darting straight thru and then looping back is what led me to the dirt road.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the Metro Detroit Photo of the Day...;)

As far as dirt roads are concerned, the reason they haven't been paved in places like Redford is because the local residents have to pay for the construction and upkeep. It also keeps "non-residents" off the road by discouraging commuters from using them. As far as county roads going unpaved, you can attribute that to the fact that Canton is growing at a extremely fast pace. While nearly all of the mile roads in Canton TWP have been paved by now there are still a few that haven't been on the western edge of the township. One reason is probably that local residents haven't made a big fuss to pave them and since the next township over (Superior TWP in Washtenaw County) is still highly rural, there probably isn't much "through-traffic". I'm sure that in the next 10 to 15 years, all the major roads in Canton will be paved.

Are other cities suburbs as bad as Detroit's when it comes not paving roads or providing proper infrastructure for their populations? I don't know, I've been to a lot of cities across the US and experienced their suburbs as well, and they seem to have paved roads, but you go to a lot of Detroit's and many roads are dirt.

I dunno, sometimes I feel its a good thing. If area residents are dissatisfied with the dirt roads, thats their own problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 days ago I was able to go back to the Opera House in Howell. I love this place, on the balcony (3rd floor) there are places where boards are removed and you can look down and see peanuts, candy rapers, and old ads.

These ads attached to the wall on the side of the stage are from 1881-1900.

115_3621.jpg

115_3619.jpg

115_3617.jpg

115_3803.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...