Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Divot

If Money were no object...

31 posts in this topic

What area of the city would you live in? Type of home/condo? Special features? Size? View?

What area of the city would you live in? Type of home/condo? Special features? Size? View?

If it were completed today, I'd like a 2 floor penthouse at Waterplace facing the basin.

if money were no object.. i'd weed the entire state where it needs it, clean the water, replenish the beach sand, repave the roads, and plant trees on every sidewalk galore.

somewhere with laundry in the unit, a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, and more than 1 bedroom. i'm not really sure where in the city, but if there were apartments above trinity brewhouse, that'd be ideal. :thumbsup::alc:

somewhere on the eastside in a nice victorian home, I wish the victorians throughout the state were kept in better shape by the owners.

Money no object is a dangerous proposition. If money were no object i would build a 500 foot tower in the parking lot district, close to the river, and live in the top two floors. :w00t:

However, if money were also somewhat realistic, and we were talking about current available units, then I think one of the houses on Congdon with a nice city garden that looks out from college hill over downtown. Pleasant or Benefit would also be fine.

I think brick and I are going to be neighbors :)

move over you guys, cuz i'm all about congdon street.

There's plenty of room. We can have dinner parties on the terrace. You bring the sweets, I'll bring the booze. Matt, can you cook?

I'd buy a Victorian right here in the Armory, but I'd also buy up all of Cranston St. from Rt. 10 to Wiggin Village and develop it as a real multi-purpose neighborhood downtown/shopping district.

Real high up in the W (wait time until construction is finished also being no object).

I'd stay right where I am. But I'd tear down the house I live in (or wait for a blizzard/hurricane to blow it down) and rebuild a house with a nice roof deck. And get Jen to help me plant some trees.

I'd stay right where I am. But I'd tear down the house I live in (or wait for a blizzard/hurricane to blow it down) and rebuild a house with a nice roof deck. And get Jen to help me plant some trees.

Distinct absence of roof decks in PVD.. Nothing better than South Boston, Beacon Hill, North End roof deck..

Another fantasy I've had is buying up the vacant buildings on Smith St between the state house and oakland ave. Buy 'em, renovate 'em, and try to make them attractive for businesses and make the street feel more pedestrian friendly.

I agree with this wholeheartedly...

see my response to this thread from WAY back, which referred to my preference for a rowhouse on Benefit with a big honkin' roof deck...

(honestly, if money were no object though, I would be living in that same building in the South End a 10 minute walk from Fenway Park).

Obviously the appeal of Congdon is the view (well, that and the ability to street luge to work).

This got me thinking - are there other places that have a situation like this? I know many many cities are in valleys but none of them seem to have the immediacy of the Providence skyline relative College hill. Obviously this is good and bad. It's good because you get those really cool vistas e.g. from Prospect Park where you are on a hill that makes you feel like you are in the skyline. But it's bad for the skyline gazing crowd because the city is not visible from distant hills except for the tops of buildings. For instance the 95 rise in Attleboro is closer to Providence than the Blue Hills are to downtown Boston, but the Blue Hills afford a complete view of the skyline whereas from Attleboro you can make out the big 3 and the Brown Science library and that's about it.

San Francisco is really the only city that immediately comes to mind that has a similar situation, but I have to imagine there are others.

the view from upper olneyville, and lower Mt Pleasant (top of Atwells Avenue near academy) has great views of the city, but the houses aren't facing the right way, unfortunately.

San Francisco is really the only city that immediately comes to mind that has a similar situation, but I have to imagine there are others.

Obviously the appeal of Congdon is the view (well, that and the ability to street luge to work).

This got me thinking - are there other places that have a situation like this?

Mont Royal in Montreal is pretty similar, just on a much bigger scale (both hill and skyline).