If Money were no object...

Divot

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Money no object is a dangerous proposition. If money were no object i would build a 500 foot tower in the parking lot district, close to the river, and live in the top two floors. :w00t:

However, if money were also somewhat realistic, and we were talking about current available units, then I think one of the houses on Congdon with a nice city garden that looks out from college hill over downtown. Pleasant or Benefit would also be fine.

Another fantasy I've had is buying up the vacant buildings on Smith St between the state house and oakland ave. Buy 'em, renovate 'em, and try to make them attractive for businesses and make the street feel more pedestrian friendly.

Obviously the appeal of Congdon is the view (well, that and the ability to street luge to work).

This got me thinking - are there other places that have a situation like this? I know many many cities are in valleys but none of them seem to have the immediacy of the Providence skyline relative College hill. Obviously this is good and bad. It's good because you get those really cool vistas e.g. from Prospect Park where you are on a hill that makes you feel like you are in the skyline. But it's bad for the skyline gazing crowd because the city is not visible from distant hills except for the tops of buildings. For instance the 95 rise in Attleboro is closer to Providence than the Blue Hills are to downtown Boston, but the Blue Hills afford a complete view of the skyline whereas from Attleboro you can make out the big 3 and the Brown Science library and that's about it.

San Francisco is really the only city that immediately comes to mind that has a similar situation, but I have to imagine there are others.

Obviously the appeal of Congdon is the view (well, that and the ability to street luge to work).

This got me thinking - are there other places that have a situation like this?

San Francisco is really the only city that immediately comes to mind that has a similar situation, but I have to imagine there are others.

Archived