Spartanburg Photo of the Day

Spartan

Cool shots^ I really hope that they can get the DuPre House fixed up this year. It looks like its going to fall in pretty soon.

I had the neighborhoods on my list of things to get pictures of, but I haven't had time to do it. Hampton Heights in particular, since it is the 'hot' area right now.

I agree. Fixing the DuPre House should happen sooner rather than later. Especially since later might not be an option. I can't imagine that the termites have much left to consume there. ;-)

Here's a traffic shot with a bit of a skyline going on. This is Asheville Highway and Chapel Street right before 221 merges in.

AshHwy.070105.Thumb.JPG

Higher rez photos available here.

Here is the approach from the opposite direction- Union Street.

UnionStreet1.jpg

UnionStreet2.jpg

This second picture is the area where the new skate park is going to be located. In fact, when I drove by there were some kids staking there (my picture of them didn't turn out well at all, since I was in a car at the time). Union St has a very old-school industrial feel to it, as you can see. I think that this area with its many warehouses and old shops would be a great secondary entertainment district. It could be like our Devine Street or Augusta Street, but with a 'Vista' like feel to it.

It would have prime access to the CBD, South Converse, Duncan Park, and Converse Heights. The skate park and the rail-trail are already popular destinations. This would only serve to clean up the area visually, and turn an otherwise unattractive street into a vibrant multi-neighborhood center. Union Street would need to go on a diet though, with planted median.

I'll try to get some pics of Hampton Heights to share...although my pics will not be as cool as that last one Spartan posted.

Also, I try to keep up a blog on GoUpstate (I haven't posted since December) and there are some pics on there if anyone is interested. I hope we get our own website soon. http://hamptonheights.goupstate.com/

Happy New Year everyone!

:-) t

Very nice shot! :shades:

I envy you for being able to tell what it is that you're seeing out the window. I always *think* I know. But deep down, I know I don't have a clue! hehe

The sad thing is, I was hitting the airport rather frequently for a solid 2 years (2k4-2k5). The only thing I ever recognized was Chicago. Do you remember the show Family Matters? When it first comes on, the camera flies in towards Downtown and you see the river there and all the homes/buildings along the shore. We flew in sorta that way, so that's how I knew I was in Chicago. (That's sad.) :rofl:

Welcome to UP, huck94!

Spartan, that shot is spectacular. Maybe it's the architecture of the building in the reflection, but something about that shot just stops me in my tracks. Very nice.

Thanks!

Here is my pic for today:

General Dan

general_dan.jpg

On a separate note, I have added some text to the last aerial so that you can see what things are (just incase you couldn't figure it out!)

spartanburgaerial.jpg

On a separate note, I have added some text to the last aerial so that you can see what things are (just incase you couldn't figure it out!)

That would be me. Couldn't figure it out. All I could recognize was the BB&T building. But that's like, um... easy to do... hehe

Loved the use of font sizes to show near and far, by the way. :thumbsup:

It took me a while to understand that angle, but its easy to see once you figure it out. The only thing I can't figure out is which road comes 'down' from the Asheville Hwy area.

Its too far out to be Hayne St, and its too wide to be New Cut Rd/California Ave. It looks like it might be the old 85, but I'm not sure. I'm open to suggestions.

huck, instead of posting the {img}, post a link {url=...}.

[url=http://someurl/somedirectory/picturename.JPG] Click here [/url]

That way, it's not posted on the site, but your high resolution photo would be a link for people to click on. (See the bottom of my post) ;-)

Here's the new Cleveland S Harley Baseball Park that went up at USCS. (Sorry, but I refuse to call it Upstate just yet) I'm not exactly sure when it went up. All I know is that it had to have been within the past 3 years. A softball park went up right beside it. It's called 'Cyrill Stadium'. The two baseball parks are right next to the South Carolina Army National Guard and University Readiness Center that's also new, but a few years older than the baseball parks. That campus has really changed a lot over the past few years. There's also supposed to be a new multi-story library building going up at some point too. But enough of that.

CSH01.070111.Thumb.JPG

CSH02.070111.Thumb.JPG

CSH03.070111.Thumb.JPG

Higher rez photos available here.

Cool shots. They completed that stadium about three years ago I think. It was just before they started working on the new interchange with 585 and extending North Campus Drive.

Its definitely a top notch stadium, and a real asset for USCS. I'll add that I go back and forth on USCS/USC Upstate. I call it USCS by default, but I've been trying to make the switch. I'm more irritated that they changed the school's mascot from the Rifles to the 'Spartans' and that 'Sparty' thing. That was a cool and very unique mascot.