Spartanburg Photo of the Day

Spartan

Here's a photo I took recently of the new gateway sign at the small park at Howard and Magnolia Streets.  The letters are chrome and highly reflective, which makes them difficult to read from some angles.  Not totally sure about that decision, but it does generally look nice.

16150527970_3426b4895a_c.jpg

Welcome to the Northside on Flickr

Here's a photo I took recently of the new gateway sign at the small park at Howard and Magnolia Streets.  The letters are chrome and highly reflective, which makes them difficult to read from some angles.  Not totally sure about that decision, but it does generally look nice.

16150527970_3426b4895a_c.jpg

Welcome to the Northside on Flickr

I took an extensive drive through the Northside recently and, wow, was I impressed.  There are still plenty of eyesores but the new stuff looks terrific.

I took an extensive drive through the Northside recently and, wow, was I impressed.  There are still plenty of eyesores but the new stuff looks terrific.

The Pocket Park is a great addition, but I believe this type of sign would be much better at some of the gateways into the city. WELCOME TO SPARTANBURG instead of our Disney type signs or the pipes looking structure near Mary Black Hospital. Just sayin....        

The metal pipes by Drayton are public art, not a sign.  And that and the Northside sign were put in by the Group of 100, an anonymous benefactor group.  The wayfinding signs were put in by the City.  I don't mind the current welcome signs.  They're similar to most cities' signs.  And you don't really want something too permanent when city limits can change (granted, not too much here due to SC annexation laws).

The metal pipes by Drayton are public art, not a sign.  And that and the Northside sign were put in by the Group of 100, an anonymous benefactor group.  The wayfinding signs were put in by the City.  I don't mind the current welcome signs.  They're similar to most cities' signs.  And you don't really want something too permanent when city limits can change (granted, not too much here due to SC annexation laws)

I really appreciate what the group of 100 hundred does for this community. I know the pipe thing is not a sign. Just some of their projects seem to get more bang for the buck. Guess I should just be happy they give their bucks.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

With the H-J article today about Duncan Park Stadium now being on the NRHP, I figured this photo I took last year would be appropriate:

IMG_2022.JPG

I'm excited that continued improvements are planned, including refurbishing and reinstalling more Shibe Park seats, putting in new bench seating, and adding locker rooms.  I'm also glad someone is writing a book about the stadium's history.  Check out the NRHP registration form (PDF) for some pretty detailed info, including many things I didn't know.  So much history in this place.  I'm so thankful it's been preserved!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I took this panorama at the Panthers Training Camp kickoff on Thursday evening.  It was an amazing atmosphere.  The event had a record 22,445 fans in attendance!  Panthers Training Camp gives the city great exposure on a national level.  Every newspaper and website article about it has Spartanburg at the top.  ESPN and NFL Network talk about camp almost daily and do live reports from here.  And that's on top of all the visitors we get.  It's fantastic.

IMG_1476_Stitch3.jpg

Fun fact: that attendance figure is the largest crowd to watch a sporting event in Spartanburg, breaking the previous record of 21,000 from the 1936 American Legion World Series at Duncan Park.

• Like 1

The other important thing about the Panthers' training camp is that it lasts for several weeks, so it's not just one day of people coming to town - it's several weeks. Hopefully the chamber of commerce and downtown association people are using this opportunity to get people downtown to explore or go grab a bite to eat.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

They're finally finishing up renovations to the "park" at the corner of Church & St John by the Spartan Centre building (United Community Bank).  They added this cool map of Spartanburg County, which includes roads, rivers, towns, airports, and other points of interest.  Around the circle it says, "City of Spartanburg, Formed in 1785, Founded in 1831, Named after the Spartan Regiment in the Battle of Cowpens"

58b25e01c6e33_IMG_2796(2).thumb.jpg.f69acc774d9651915ca0ec8485463aa2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...