Spartanburg Photo of the Day

Spartan

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's a photo of the artwork at the corner of Drayton and Heywood. I didn't know it lit up and changed colors until I read something about it recently. I wish it had been a bit darker, so you could see the color better.

76825958.jpg

I really wish we had more colorful lighting in downtown; be it artwork, bridge underpasses, buildings, etc. It would bring some energy and visual interest to the city at night. I really like the LED lighting elements in City Plaza in Raleigh, for example:

post-24605-0-66201300-1344893263_thumb.j post-24605-0-74505600-1344893269_thumb.j post-24605-0-74310300-1344893275_thumb.j

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I took a walk around Cleveland Park the other day.  It's a beautiful place.  It's a shame more people don't use the park.  I guess it's pretty isolated.  Once the playground is rebuilt, at least there will be more children and parents.  The one thing the park could use, IMO, is some open space to toss a ball or Frisbee.  I hear they're going to build a path under Asheville Hwy (through the creek tunnel) to connect the park to the baseball field, which will be nice.

8619961404_0ddc806f70_b.jpg

8619960110_7443687ba3_z.jpg

I took a walk around Cleveland Park the other day.  It's a beautiful place.  It's a shame more people don't use the park.  I guess it's pretty isolated.  Once the playground is rebuilt, at least there will be more children and parents.  The one thing the park could use, IMO, is some open space to toss a ball or Frisbee.  I hear they're going to build a path under Asheville Hwy (through the creek tunnel) to connect the park to the baseball field, which will be nice.

8619961404_0ddc806f70_b.jpg

8619960110_7443687ba3_z.jpg

I've never been to Spartanburg's Cleveland Park, but this looks really nice! Thanks for the visuals!

I hope that they can rebuild the pkayground including the train.  I hate what happened, but to completely take away the train is not the best solution.  Always remember, but it's time to move on....

Also, the surrounding neighborhood is really aging, but if they could revamp it like Hampton Heights, then it could really be exciting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Took these photos at the Broadwalk Building a few weeks ago:

9289645098_dc0553c243_b.jpg

Rescom Construction looks like a new tenant to me (still upfitting the space).

9286865875_caa3068f79_b.jpg

One of the 3 stained glass windows from the old Hotel Franklin hanging in the lobby.

I was disappointed to find that the building lobby is locked now (key card needed).  That makes it difficult to access Broad Street from the Kennedy Deck.  I know MSA is in there, but they have their own separate entrance within the lobby.

The Broadwalk building is pretty terrible on all accounts. The main problem is the parking out front. If they could remove that and install a plaza space with room for tables and chairs it would look and feel a lot better. If that happened can see a small cluster restaurants, shops and bars locating there. It would work even better if the 'Denny's Plaza' were to be redesigned per the Downtown Master Plan.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's a different skyline angle: The Schuyler and Denny's Buildings from the Old City Cemetery (Cemetery Hill).  And an historic marker at the cemetery, if you're interested in knowing more about it. 

attachicon.gifOCC signs.JPG

15821259581_9ab7d5244f_b.jpg

Skyline from Old City Cemetery on Flickr

Where is the cemetery?  I've never heard of it.

Its a little south of Winsmith St which is off of Union St down around District 7 operations center. I have been all over this area in my life cutting through to 221 from Converse Heights but have never noticed it. Apparently was the Spartanburg Colored Cemetery

I'd post the link but something has changed and it won't let me do so anymore. How do you post an effing link?

Edited by Sparkleman
  • Like 1