Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gs3

Greenville crime

14 posts in this topic

An article in the newspaper a few days ago reported an increase in Greenville's violent crime. Here is the latest FBI report, and while Greenville has increased, it is the lowest of the three SC metro's.

Per 100,000 people, violent crimes are

705.6 in Greenville

725.9 in Columbia

843.7 in Charleston

http://www.morganquitno.com/met05a.pdf

As you can see, many cities in other states fare much better. Just curious on your thoughts on this. I've never noticed any significant crime issue here. Feels much safer than when I lived in Dallas. :dontknow:

Thoughts?

Here is a good tool for seeing the locations and concentrations of crime in Greenville county.

http://www.gcgis.org/webmapso/

We all know what areas of town are bad - I guess we just didn't know that the levels were high enough in those areas to push our over-all crime rate so high. Outside those concentrated areas - Greenville is a nice place... :blush:

When we first moved here from Orlando, it was a refreshing change for us to watch the 6:00pm news on WYFF or WSPA without seeing much in the way of crime. Unfortunately, it seems that the first several minutes of most local 6:00pm newscasts are filled with one crime or another nowadays. Still, it doesn't seem too bad overall compared to Orlando, and as vwsam said, it's fairly easy to figure out what parts of town to avoid.

Here is a good tool for seeing the locations and concentrations of crime in Greenville county.

We all know what areas of town are bad - I guess we just didn't know that the levels were high enough in those areas to push our over-all crime rate so high. Outside those concentrated areas - Greenville is a nice place... :blush:

Wow, I never would have expected that much of a contrast on the Eastside/Taylors area. Gville City is virturally crime-free in comparison! If I move to Greenville, I'm living in the City!

Wow, I never would have expected that much of a contrast on the Eastside/Taylors area. Gville City is virturally crime-free in comparison! If I move to Greenville, I'm living in the City!

Hmm, good point. Even still, I've always heard that the Greenville City PD is much better than the county.

County cops are a bunch of cowboys. Greenville City PD is terrific. You call them, they're there in about a minute. And they're mostly friendly.

County cops are a bunch of cowboys. Greenville City PD is terrific. You call them, they're there in about a minute. And they're mostly friendly.

Ive always heard that Gville City PD is very good. County cops everywhere just have more jurisdiction to cover, and they can't be everywhere at once. Cities have less area and so it makes sense that they can cover areas well. Plus the City is on top of its stuff. You have to give them credit where it is due.

But then that does beg the question- why does Greenville have such a high crime rate is the City has such a good police force?

Greenville Drive pitchers are used to facing guys with bats, but this is rediculous...these kids aren't even save in their own apartment complex. :angry: Makes me want to take a baseball bat to the thugs that are going around doing this to people.

Greenville Drive pitchers are used to facing guys with bats, but this is rediculous...these kids aren't even save in their own apartment complex. :angry: Makes me want to take a baseball bat to the thugs that are going around doing this to people.