New Columbia County Development Ordinance

CanukInAugusta

From the Augusta Chronicle:

Columbia County commissioners agreed Tuesday night to consider an ordinance that would place certain aesthetic restrictions on new developments at a growing Columbia County intersection.

Commissioners said the ordinance would institute a neoclassic architecture design for new development at the intersection of Evans to Locks and Furys Ferry roads.

Among the new requirements would be slanted roofs, as opposed to only a flat roof, for at least a portion of a development's structure.

The neoclassical design also includes vertical, symmetrical window arrangements, columns and pilasters, according to a county document. The new requirements come as county officials say the Evans to Locks/Furys Ferry area is developing into a node of commercial usage and is in need of design guidelines as it grows.

A second reading of the ordinance will go before commissioners for final approval at their Jan. 16 meeting in Evans.

Details found here at the County web site (large PDF file). Interesting read!

http://www.columbiacountyga.gov/Modules/Sh...documentid=2034

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm....I wanted to know where they got some of these examples of "great" architecture from. But I bet that HALF of these at least are either from Cobb County or Fayette County, GA. I guess we all (fall-line cities) have to catch up with this new urbanism movement.

It would really make them stand out if they did this 10-20 years from now.

Archived