Franklin Wants $250 mil more in the budget

ironchapman

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost started a thread on this yesterday, but found muself too busy at work. One of the things that jumped out at me was the Mayor's assertion that we need to increase the amount of money for APS because of the growing residential population. While it's true that Atlanta's population is exploding, the population of school age children has been falling for quite a few years now. APS already raised it's share of the millage rate this year and currently spends more per pupil then just about every other major school system in the nation, last I saw it was well over $10,000 per student per year. Atlanta already has one of the highest property tax rates in the Southeast. Before taxes are even raised a penny, every ounce of waste needs to be rung from city government. For far too long City of Atlanta has been the employer of last resort. Nepotism runs rampant while cronyism and downright corruption are far more prevalant then one would think, especially under the "ethics" mayor.

Note that Nashville/Davidson county has consolidated its government and that budget is for both. Charlotte's budget on the other hand does not include Mecklenburg county's budget since they do not operate together.

In other words, its very difficult to compare city budgets from different states because it is not an apples to apples comparison.

Cool, IC. I wonder if any of these figures include the school board? In Atlanta that's where the bulk of your property taxes go.

If property taxes in the city of Atlanta went up another 40% I would probably have to move out, and I think a lot of other people would, too. Our taxes are already much higher than almost anywhere else in the state. Mine have approached $10,000, plus significant additional assessments for trash pickup and various other things. I'm getting older and won't be able to generate the kind of income it takes to pay this for a whole lot longer.

And frankly, many of the city's services are pretty lame.

:(

I almost started a thread on this yesterday, but found muself too busy at work. One of the things that jumped out at me was the Mayor's assertion that we need to increase the amount of money for APS because of the growing residential population. While it's true that Atlanta's population is exploding, the population of school age children has been falling for quite a few years now. APS already raised it's share of the millage rate this year and currently spends more per pupil then just about every other major school system in the nation, last I saw it was well over $10,000 per student per year. Atlanta already has one of the highest property tax rates in the Southeast. Before taxes are even raised a penny, every ounce of waste needs to be rung from city government. For far too long City of Atlanta has been the employer of last resort. Nepotism runs rampant while cronyism and downright corruption are far more prevalant then one would think, especially under the "ethics" mayor.

... or Charlotte's tax base is larger than Atlanta's. At least the sales tax rate is higher in Atlanta than Charlotte, so it isn't due to higher taxes neccessarily - I doubt property taxes are any higher. But Charlotte does have a larger tax base, the population is significantly more than Atlanta & includes a number of major commercial areas.

Otherwise, I don't know...

Archived