Virginia Performing Arts Center

creativeclass

This is the new home for discussion of all things related to Performing Arts infrastructure in Richmond, including the VAPAF and its performance over the last few years; CenterStage; renovation of the Carpenter Center and related proposals for the Thalhimer Block; the National and Landmark Theatres; and anything related to the Richmond Ballet, Opera, Symphony, and Theatre IV. The final Performing Arts Committee report was due on December 31st; when it is publicly available I'll post a link to it.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the new home for discussion of all things related to Performing Arts infrastructure in Richmond, including the VAPAF and its performance over the last few years; CenterStage; renovation of the Carpenter Center and related proposals for the Thalhimer Block; the National and Landmark Theatres; and anything related to the Richmond Ballet, Opera, Symphony, and Theatre IV. The final Performing Arts Committee report was due on December 31st; when it is publicly available I'll post a link to it.

creative, i'm with you re: east end conversion to playhose seating about 300. post free, hi ceiling space allows for proscenium stage w/limited fly gallery extended about 30' into aud. could house local groups like former jazz actors theatre, triangle players and others.

pos name: church hill rep or similar, tho if for multi-community use, the word "rep" would not be appropriate.

PS: now that surgeon has told me to discard sling and use fingers, I'm trying to find the pieces with pictures of The East End. Where are they?

Does anyone have any late information about the conversion of the Henrico Theatre on Nine Mile Road in Highland Springs? I was told it is to be the east end equivalent of Glenn Allen PAC. It would be nice if anyone could get some exterior and interio pictures.

I wonder what's holding up press release of the Richmond Centerstage committee report? I read that Hiz Honor is in Boston for the innaugeration of the second elected African American in the USA to the office of Governor. Maybe he hasn't had time to review the report.

I'd be willing to bet a quarter that it was submitted by deadline.

As far as I can find out, the report on Shockoe Bottom by a Mayoral appointed committee was never released. If it was, I never read about it.

I wonder what's holding up press release of the Richmond Centerstage committee report? I read that Hiz Honor is in Boston for the innaugeration of the second elected African American in the USA to the office of Governor. Maybe he hasn't had time to review the report.

I'd be willing to bet a quarter that it was submitted by deadline.

As far as I can find out, the report on Shockoe Bottom by a Mayoral appointed committee was never released. If it was, I never read about it.

Attention Creative:

Re: The Performing Arts Committee report, I have it on top authority that it "was delivered to the Mayor by the 31st." The printed public version will be handed out at the public meeting next Tuesday.

The Committee did meet its deadline.

Although the Performing Arts Committee Report was delivered to the Mayor on time, certain graphics needed to be inserted in the printed version which will be available to the press on Tuesday.

I hope you will be able to post the entire report (graphics and all) or post a link to it.

Creative, can you post the RTD editorial that is referred to above? I have not been successful in finding it.

Although the Performing Arts Committee Report was delivered to the Mayor on time, certain graphics needed to be inserted in the printed version which will be available to the press on Tuesday.

I hope you will be able to post the entire report (graphics and all) or post a link to it.

Creative, can you post the RTD editorial that is referred to above? I have not been successful in finding it.

Hahaha. Maybe nothing was deleted and that's all there was. A few weeks earlier the TD ran an editorial titled STAR that expressed confidence and hope.

Why do they frequently assure everyone that they are "in kind" contributors? I hope they are proud of it.

Creative, I just talked about the East End Theatre in the Richmond Pictures thread because I didn't know how to bring it over here. But here is where it should be, IMO.

From the City website, here's the press release, the report summary, and the supplemental report...

At this time, I've only had time to read the press release and Don Harrison's commentary at Save Richmond. On the surface, everything looks great. The city contributes $25 million and receives title to the Carpenter Theater.....check. The Carpenter gets placed on the fast track....check. The VAPAF continues its fund-raising, while new Building and Operating Committees focus on the construction and business side.....check. The September 2009 opening night is confirmed....check. The Landmark's needs are addressed.....check. No promises about the final disposition of the filled-in hole on Broad Street.....check. Wilder takes credit for making this all happen....well, you knew that was coming, right?

When this massive project is brought in at budget and on time in the fall of 2009, and with an appropriately-sized operating endowment - that might be the time to declare victory. Yesterday's hoopla must be followed by three years of high performance on the part of many different people and entities. We'll be watching...and waiting.

Creative says above: "When this massive project is brought in at budget and on time in the fall of 2009, and with an appropriately-sized operating endowment - that might be the time to declare victory. Yesterday's hoopla must be followed by three years of high performance on the part of many different people and entities. We'll be watching...and waiting."

Ahh, Creative...the ever-doubting Thomas. I had hoped you would have jumped on board with a soup con of enthusiasm, but I see Boondoggle Park is still being promoted on the other forum.

The Mayor's committee has submitted a well-crafted report without a hint of negativity.

Archived