Virginia Performing Arts Center

creativeclass

Those responsible for getting VMFA expansion underway to the tune of $170 Million, including some of your taxes, did not put forward a plan for a theatre downtown. But many of the board members you posted above are financially active in both projects.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BGW, go to previous page, look for Creative's entry dated 1/10 at 6:10am and the report is there -- hit "suplemental report". You may need a magnifying glass unless you know how to enlarge. I have a copy that was sent to me. You'll read that the June date is what has been proposed since the Myor's committee went to work.

It's 25 pages long, so you maybe will want to print it out for later reading.

PS: It's one of those Acrobat (Adobe?) things and may take a minute to pop up.

Let's not forget that the whole project and organization has been reworked. The entire agreement with the city, in regards to the partnership, was taken back to page one and rewritten. That happened when Wilder took office and he was shreading the previous admins contracts. Things have taken a completely different direction and the backers have since returned. Keep in mind, the backers (donors) were there all along, but when things were being reworked, they stood back and waited for things to become solid again. Those who are concerned need to get involved and not stand on the sideline...the cheap seats are just that...cheap seats.

You're right, thatguy. Donors have returned, are getting involved and are not just standing on the sidelines anymore. The Performing Arts Center has a renewed momentum.

Please join Downtower, Wrldcoupe and myself in raising a toast on opening night in fall of 2009. I hope other UP and RCW contributors will also join us that evening.

And if I may be allowed to paraphrase you: Cheap shots are just that...cheap shots. But the attacks seem to be lessening.

I'm just glad there aren't people for "progress" wanting to tear the whole block down because it's "old" or "ugly." Anything that we'd never be able to recreate today seems to garbage for some people in our city who like everything as new as the suburbs.

Tommy, this is the rendering that was behind the official announcing success for Richmond CenterStage.

I wish you could put it and photos of The Landmark. The Empire, The National, The Firehouse and The Byrd up on your Southern Photos of the Day. Do you think that would be possible? It would take some digging among photos to find them, and you might not find The Firehouse at all.

Wrldcoupe4 posted a picture of the Armory as it looked waaaay back. Maybe he would be so kind as to bring it over here and post it in this story. (I apologize for my inability to do so, and I have already imposed on Steve to bring over the above up-to-date photo taken by Coupe.)

POST329.JPG

Ah, many thanks for transferring this, Steve.

Now that controversy about Richmond CenterStage has simmered down, I think it's time to start thinking about a symphony hall. Most cities of prominence (and I certainly consider Richmond in that category) have a dedicated building for music.

While the design for a music hall on the Thalhimer lot was neat looking, its planned seating capacity was ill-conceived, IMO. I believe a hall should have no less than 1800 seats.

I submit that a conversion of Blues Armory (pictured above) should be given consideration. It may be totally implausable, but it deserves a look-see. Since its upper level is a vast, post-free space, it's possible the entire structure could be gutted to ground level and refitted with a "floating" bubble style auditorium. It could have near-perfect accoustics and excellent sightlines from several tiers of balconies and boxes in a "U" configuration. A concert stage could be built at the northern end overlooking Coliseum Plaza.

Raleigh built a new Symphony Hall several years ago for about $20 million. I recall reading a New York Times review complimenting the hall's accoustics and acknowledging that an excellent hall need not be Taj Mahal.

I would hope funding for constructing a new hall would come from private/corporate sources with (if the Armory were found appropriate) a donation of the property from the City.

I love the old Blues Armory; it's a unique structure that is disgracefully underused.

It would be nice to get input on this thread from symphony members and all who are interested. Other suggestions and comments are welcome.

You're very welcome, Burt.

I think it's a neat idea you've got. My only concern would be the glass atrium that connects the armory, with the building next door. It looks misplaced now that the marketplace is (for the most part) gone, I wouldn't mind seeing some alternative use for it or just a face lift. Maybe even a little more exterior of the armory exposed. I do like the idea of it though, and if your interior estimations are feasible, I'd like to see this area get some attention, by expanding the Theatre District over a greater distance.

Archived