Virginia Performing Arts Center

creativeclass

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh. Just what I want, Tommy. I've been having a discussion with Morgan on RCW on a similar thread they have over there. Boy oh boy, are they beating up on me! I don't have ANY allies on this subject at RCW.

Is there a way you could move this over there and place it under my answer to Morgan on the subject and say that I asked you to move it there?

And tell Morgan I said to get out his magnifying glass.

Ahhh. Just what I want, Tommy. I've been having a discussion with Morgan on RCW on a similar thread they have over there. Boy oh boy, are they beating up on me! I don't have ANY allies on this subject at RCW.

Is there a way you could move this over there and place it under my answer to Morgan on the subject and say that I asked you to move it there?

And tell Morgan I said to get out his magnifying glass.

Mayor Wilder's e-mailed VISIONS news-letter arrived today and I quote his comments on a subject dear to my heart:

"The Carpenter Center cannot be renovated quickly enough to meet the needs of our symphony, ballet, opera and other cultural groups, all of which have suffered immeasurably in both financial and morale terms since the Carpenter Center was shuttered in late 2004. In an effort to salvage a failed fundraising campaign, I appointed the Performing Arts Committee in 2005 under the leadership of prominent local attorney Robert J. Grey to make viable recommendations.

"The Committee's report, which I publicly accepted earlier this month, reflected the collaboration of all parties toward seeking a viable and sustaining solution. The City will spend up to $25 million in renovating the Carpenter Center and will receive title to that property as a result of this enormous investment. I look forward to the renovation groundbreaking this summer and the planned grand opening in September 2009. Our performing arts groups have waited patiently for this long-sought resolution."

Click on the accompanying VIDEO in the VISIONS news-letter and listen to further comments on the subject by the Mayor.

Ah! The Beautiful Byrd.

Every spring this gem in the area known as Carytown hosts the largest French Film Festival in America. It packs in 18,000 film goers to multiple screenings over a weekend to see the latest movies produced in France. Actors, directors and a glittering array of French film notables appear on the stage between screenings to discuss their work. This is an annual event sponsored by Virginia Commonwealth University.

Coupe, I can find only an enlargement of the above in the link -- but it is a treasure.

Ah! The Beautiful Byrd.

Every spring this gem in the area known as Carytown hosts the largest French Film Festival in America. It packs in 18,000 film goers to multiple screenings over a weekend to see the latest movies produced in France. Actors, directors and a glittering array of French film notables appear on the stage between screenings to discuss their work. This is an annual event sponsored by Virginia Commonwealth University.

Coupe, I can find only an enlargement of the above in the link -- but it is a treasure.

I haven't, but I'll ask around.

I hope it becomes a public place again - the Wileys had wanted to turn it into a "post for community outreach" - but I'd settle for any adaptive reuse short of a Jack-in-the-Box Express. Richmond has lost way too many of its old theatres. Each one was once the focal point for a neighborhood and had a story to tell...

OK, I need some help. I had debated with a co-worker over the Performing Arts center, has the PAC turned over the deed over to the city? or is the board still debating turning it over? I thougfht I saw something posted here, but I can not find it...

I was with un the understanding, that they had already agreed to turn over the deed, to gain the city's backing and that was what spawned the "public anouncement". Am I wrong?...could I be wrong? Nawwwwww.

No, I think you're right, thatguy. There are grumblings among some on the board about relinquishing ownership to the city, but the majority see the wisdom in acquiesing to the Mayor's wishes for city ownership. Compromises have been made on both sides of the issue. Groundbreaking is still expected in June of this year.

Ryan who is the administrator of Richmond City Watch reports that a Plan of Development for Richmond CenterStage (the Carpenter TheatER project) has been submitted to Land Use Administration at the City Community Development Department where Ryan is employed. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mead WestVaco was named in today's Times Dispatch as the donor of $1.5million to the endowment fund of Richmond CenterStage. Apparently, the pledge was quietly made during the December fund raising drive.

The next major step, between now and the middle of April, should be the official announcement of City of the Future dollars and the revelation of firm architectural plans for the project.

Groundbreaking is still anticipated to begin in June of this year.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...p;oasPN=%21news

• 1 month later...

According to Mayor Wilder's latest Visions News Letter received today Richmond CenterStage is on track to open as scheduled in 2009.

He says:

"Richmond supports a thriving arts community, and the increasing popularity of the "First Fridays" artwalk in Downtown is a case in point of our citizens' love of the cultural arts. Thousands convene upon a growing art gallery circuit that stretches along the Adams and Broad Street area and into both Monroe Ward and Jackson Ward. One's enjoyment of the monthly event is further highlighted by the lure of new restaurants such as Twenty Seven, Popkin Tavern and Tarrants Cafe.

"Supporters of The Richmond Symphony, VirginiaOpera and Richmond Ballet will find greater enjoyment when the renovated Carpenter Center is opened in 2009 as part of the "Center Stage" performing arts complex at 6th and Grace Streets. My "City of the Future" revitalization program will spend $25 million to see this project finally materialize, as our performing arts organizations have waited patiently many years for an adequate, permanent home."

Archived