Virginia Performing Arts Center

creativeclass

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: Wilder has never been accused of being a shrinking violet, thatguy. How about "Goldman's City of the Future" plan? Wasn't it his idea?

Whatever it takes, I hope work starts as planned in June on Richmond CenterStage. If we can believe the Mayor, it will.

I thought Ryan saw workers doing site work for rebuilding the sidewalks along Broad Street on the Thalhimer site?

And yeah, CenterStage just sounds lame to me... What does it even mean? Is it supposed to be glitzy or something? Let's have the Carpenter Center for the Arts or something.

I thought Ryan saw workers doing site work for rebuilding the sidewalks along Broad Street on the Thalhimer site?

And yeah, CenterStage just sounds lame to me... What does it even mean? Is it supposed to be glitzy or something? Let's have the Carpenter Center for the Arts or something.

• 2 weeks later...

The site at RCW about Richmond CenterStage and, particularly certain philanthropic individuals, has gotten so contemptuous only similarly inclined people would find any comfort there. It's really ugly!

Meanwhile, I'm hoping the Mayor will follow through with the thoughts he expressed in his latest newsletter.

• 2 weeks later...

At last! Maybe this can become the thread to report on progress at RichmondCenterStage.

Heath posted great news on RCW today:

Gilbane/Christman Association is the Construction Manager for the project and are taking sub-bids (part on 05/10 and the balance on 05/17).

Architect: Wilson Butler Associates of Boston.

Substantial completion date: June/July 2009.

Demo of existing interior to begin in June/July of this year. Appears from plan they are going to save and re-incorporate a lot of existing facade, artwork and interior details.

Now, is that good news, or what?!! :yahoo::alc:

I got a card in the mail yesterday from Center Stage. It is a picture of the rendering of the project along Grace Street between 6th and 7th with the words: ARE YOU READY FOR SERIOUS FUN?

Am I not? :lol:

Something happend the last two days. The homeless that have been "entreched" in from of thr Carpenter center for a year plus are no longer at the Marque. They have been moved across the street...right in front of the Berry Burke :rofl: They would not move without a reason...that was their home for the longest time.

Poor Berry Burk! :lol:

Whosever idea it was to install full-length benches on Grace Street apparently did not know much about urban streetscape -- OR, maybe he/she had a social conscience and put them there for the purpose they are serving.

Something happend the last two days. The homeless that have been "entreched" in from of thr Carpenter center for a year plus are no longer at the Marque. They have been moved across the street...right in front of the Berry Burke :rofl: They would not move without a reason...that was their home for the longest time.

CreativeC,

Do you appreciate Richmond at all? Comparing Richmond to Peru is a tad excessive. Given the fact that my best friend is from Peru and I've witnessed the extreme poverty there, are you really trying to make that comparison? It's cute and all, but it's about a damn performing arts center. If you'd like to talk about the disparity between haves and have nots, let's talk Peru.

Have you sailed the world? Have you seen the shanty towns of Lima?

While many Peruvians try to live on less than $2.00 a day, we bicker about a building on Grace and 6th? How petty we must seem in the whole scheme of things.

For me, home is Richmond. I will help make it a better place for all. Will you join me or sit on the sidelines attempting to compare our city to a place with many more, deeper problems?

I'm not speaking in jest.

Archived