Virginia Performing Arts Center

creativeclass

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, creative, but you ARE twisting Sondheim to your own dark poetic purposes.

I can't spell it, but before I die I'd like to visit Machu Pichu.

You have a friend who is also fond of Sondheim. Perhaps he and you can produce SWEENEY TODD upon the enlarged Carpenter Theatre stage.

Incidentally, a wonderful production of ST was mounted years ago on the tiny Barksdale stage at Hanover Tavern. It was such a draw that it was extended repeatedly.

And don't doubt for a minute that Wrldcoupe4 means every word he says. Most assurely he, if anybody, will teach this city's detractors to love Richmond. I and many others try in our way to do the same.

And here's the full story for the evening of June 1st; groundbreaking for Richmond CenterStage at 5:30, then a parade up Broad past newly decorated store-fronts to what promises to be the biggest Art Walk in history.

Please don't rain!

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/enter...05-18-0142.html

NOTE: I see that early bird Coupe got to this story first. He posted it aptly in the Broad Street Revitalization thread. It's applicable in both places and good enough news to bear repeating.

Poor Berry Burk! :lol:

I am sadened to say, that a drive by yesterday evening reveled that a Richmond Icon, a major peice of the "Carpenter center" and recently Berry Burk is no longer present. It has been tradition for the past few years that the "Weeble wobble" has been holding her ground, standing guard over of all that is Richmond. She had been displaced and took "post" across the street, but to no avail...she is gone. Same time everyday, and now it is over. For the first time since "dirt" was invented, she stands guard no more...god bless you "weeble wobble", I will keep my eyes posted for your return.

Something big is happeneing behind the scene to displace this local resident. I can not wait. June 1st !!! :huh:

Whew! I'm glad you could figure it out. Thanks.

If you get a chance, would you also put it up at RCW under the RCS "construction" page?

Note to anyone who clicks on this story: You might think you have read it all, but there's much more detail, such as qualifications of the contractors, architects, sound engineers, etc. Plus renderings which you might or might not have seen.

It's a good but LONG read.

anyone hear about the gun shots fired on 5th just outside of Club Paradise? One shot hit and blew out a window at the Advantech building at 5th and Frankiln. Another bullet, skiped off a building, through a open window and rolled around on the 2nd floor of Penny Lane...Penny Lane was still open. They turned the bullet into the police.

Why am I mentioning this...it is one block away from the Carpenter Center.

anyone hear about the gun shots fired on 5th just outside of Club Paradise? One shot hit and blew out a window at the Advantech building at 5th and Frankiln. Another bullet, skiped off a building, through a open window and rolled around on the 2nd floor of Penny Lane...Penny Lane was still open. They turned the bullet into the police.

Why am I mentioning this...it is one block away from the Carpenter Center.

It may be fun to joke about "tubas to the face", but the reality is if the Carpenter Center had remained the Richmond Symphony's home base for the last few years the area would undoubtedly be safer and more prosperous. The mistake VAPAF made was thinking bricks and mortar would solve the problem. What it LOOKED like from the outside was what seemed most important to them, even to the extent that they proposed just putting up a facade for starters. Moving out an organization like the Richmond Symphony probably stifled development just at the moment when it was picking up.

If the community really invested in the Richmond Symphony as an ORGANIZATION you would see more excitement (larger crowds more times during the week) at the Carpenter Center. You would then see restaurants popping up around the hall to cater to concert goers like what has happened in many other cities with their professional orchestras. As it is, I have talked to a few restaurant owners in the fan who say their business benefits from the Richmond Symphony's First Baptist Church concerts. The more business is in the area, the safer it will probably be overall.

The point is, it's the organization's success that will bring people downtown to the venue, not the actual building. Professional orchestras are great for business and the Richmond Symphony is no exception.

What's your solution, sky? Should the property be abandoned and have the symphony perform indefinitely in churches around Metro?

If you truly think the area was on the rise just as the hall closed, there are those who would argue contrarily that the area was sinking deeper into decline. Do you think it could be remotely possible downtown is now on the rise BECAUSE of the committment to open a better equipped venue? I am not aware of a great deal of exterior facade work slated for the The Carpenter Theatre. Perhaps your reference is to the proposed music hall which is off the agenda.

What is your objection to going forward with a vastly improved stage house to accommodate more comfortably the full orchestra and chorus as well as other performance organizations?

Last week, there was a piece in the paper about a shooting "outside of The Cotton Club" which was identified as being on Grace (it's actually on 5th across from The John Marshall).

Actually "Paradise" is the 5th street entrance to the "Cotton club", same building same owners. The entrance on 5th keeps changing names every few months. Same owners of the club on Harrison that was being poilced hard for fights, drugs and guns. They claimed it was not them and it was racism. Now the guns are showing at their "high class" club. Guess it was them all along and not just made up. For a bullet to skip through a window and roll around on the floor where people are standing, something has to be done before someone inocent gets killed...or it chases away patrons of the PAC.

"last week, there was a piece in the paper about a shooting "outside of The Cotton Club" which was identified as being on Grace (it's actually on 5th across from The John Marshall).

Actually "Paradise" is the 5th street entrance to the "Cotton club", same building same owners. The entrance on 5th keeps changing names every few months. Same owners of the club on Harrison that was being poilced hard for fights, drugs and guns. They claimed it was not them and it was racism. Now the guns are showing at their "high class" club. Guess it was them all along and not just made up. For a bullet to skip through a window and roll around on the floor where people are standing, something has to be done before someone inocent gets killed...or it chases away patrons of the PAC.

Archived