Virginia Performing Arts Center

creativeclass

• 6 months later...

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, we need a comprehensive downtown parking strategy that weighs and balances the needs of all stakeholders... residents, visitors, monthly "parkers," the art/performance venues, arriving retail/restaurants, etc. Personally, I'm not confident at this point that the well-intentioned CenterStage folks would be able to do that.

Fortunately for me, my deck isn't CDA controlled so I won't have to be caught up in any parking drama :)

Really, we need a comprehensive downtown parking strategy that weighs and balances the needs of all stakeholders... residents, visitors, monthly "parkers," the art/performance venues, arriving retail/restaurants, etc. Personally, I'm not confident at this point that the well-intentioned CenterStage folks would be able to do that.

Fortunately for me, my deck isn't CDA controlled so I won't have to be caught up in any parking drama :)

Here's a thought, though how practical or even legal it would be is debatable.

How about RCS, the National, Convention Center, Coliseum, Capital Ale House and other entertainment related businesses, renting a fleet of those golf carts which are so handily used at the Nat'l Folk Festival? They could be based in all the nearby garages (including a new John Marshall deck) on nights of events and shuttle people to and from the various venues. No ride would be more than two or three blocks if they were programmed properly. Unless unions got involved, they could be operated by individuals working for tips. And it would expedite vehicular movements if Marshall, Grace, Fifth, Sixth and Seventh streets were converted to two-way traffic. As far as weather goes, think of it this way -- if people didn't ride the carts from garages to venues, they'd have to walk and confront the elements.

42nd Street here is crowded with peddled rickshaws. If it can work on the crowded streets in Manhattan, something similar ought to be considered for the tight entertainment/parking deck core of downtown Richmond.

Given the city's history and the relative flatness of the terrain north of Grace Street, perhaps horse drawn carriages could be a picturesque option.

Or...if Segways could tow a train behind them:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...05-26-0017.html

Archived