Virginia Performing Arts Center

creativeclass

Creative says above: "When this massive project is brought in at budget and on time in the fall of 2009, and with an appropriately-sized operating endowment - that might be the time to declare victory. Yesterday's hoopla must be followed by three years of high performance on the part of many different people and entities. We'll be watching...and waiting."

Ahh, Creative...the ever-doubting Thomas. I had hoped you would have jumped on board with a soup con of enthusiasm, but I see Boondoggle Park is still being promoted on the other forum.

The Mayor's committee has submitted a well-crafted report without a hint of negativity.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ric75, Mr. Fiske of the Richmond Symphony is on the board, and a representative of The Alliance for the Arts speaks positively of the plans. The Richmond Ballet and Virginia Opera, prime users of the Carpenter Theatre, have been consulted. As in the past, theatre/music/dance/punk rock/comedy, etc., whether local or touring groups, will have access to the vastly expanded facilities of Richmond CenterStage. I haven't heard any condemnation of plans to improve the Landmark nor accusations that it will fail to benefit local professionals.

The back page of Style is an untimely, repetitious rant that is not helpful to anyone -- except possibly the writer's raison d'etre.

I have to go out now but will continue this later. I respect your opinions and intelligent comments on this board.

Ric75, Mr. Fiske of the Richmond Symphony is on the board, and a representative of The Alliance for the Arts speaks positively of the plans. The Richmond Ballet and Virginia Opera, prime users of the Carpenter Theatre, have been consulted. As in the past, theatre/music/dance/punk rock/comedy, etc., whether local or touring groups, will have access to the vastly expanded facilities of Richmond CenterStage. I haven't heard any condemnation of plans to improve the Landmark nor accusations that it will fail to benefit local professionals.

The back page of Style is an untimely, repetitious rant that is not helpful to anyone -- except possibly the writer's raison d'etre.

I have to go out now but will continue this later. I respect your opinions and intelligent comments on this board.

Touche Burt! I see your point of view as well. I don't know enough about the makeup of the performing arts committee, VAPAF and the people they have consulted to have a very strong opinion either way. It doesn't seem that Don will ever see a Performing Arts plan he likes (what would he write about if he did?) but the fact that his rhetoric has toned down a bit for this proposal makes it apparent that this is the most reasonable and likely to succeed of any of the plans we have seen to date. Things could always be better but like I said I have my hopes up for this being "the one".

Guys I have heard stuff on the news about the Performing Arts Center and am glad its finally coming to life I mean its been since Middle School since I first started hearing about the Performing Arts Center. Its great to finally see it happen and I can't wait till construction begins this summer.

Well, there's one thing that can be said about the opponents: they are one bitter lot.

I almost hate to bring this up, but a considerable amount of the consulting fees that are criticized have gone to professionals who know far more about theatre construction than anybody on these boards. As far as the lack of local performing professionals on the board, generally they do not generate fund raising. Perhaps some were asked and declined. And anyone who truly believes there has been no input from or courtesy extended to them isn't dealing with a full deck.

'Tis true. Every time I drive down Broad and see a hole in the ground and a closed Carpenter Center and realize these people want more of my money, it does tend to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

There are people who could do this arts center properly; those currently in charge aren't those people.

I would have to say that person you are talking about is a very successful business man and was used for that purpose. Performing Arts aside, like it or not, there is a business aspect to getting this done.

Those responsible for getting VMFA expansion underway to the tune of $170 Million, including some of your taxes, did not put forward a plan for a theatre downtown. But many of the board members you posted above are financially active in both projects.

How "clear" does a plan have to be to win your support? Have you read it? Six months, BGW. I'll bet you my proverbial quarter there'll be construction activity on the site sometime in June. :thumbsup:

I suspect behind-the-scenes activities are getting underway for next fall's 68th annual National Folk Festival. As well as it went over last October, I think it should be pointed out that it's first two years in Richmond have not attracted as many as the first two years in Bangor, Maine. Here are attendance comparisons:

Bangor ---- 2002 - 80,000/ 2003 - 110,000/ 2004 - 135,000

Richmond --2005 - 70,000/ 2006 - Just under 100,000

We've got a way to go to catch up.

Archived