Retail Downtown

GRDadof3

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, but.........W.W.J.J.D (What would Jane Jacobs Do?). J.J. would argue (and so would I for that matter). That in order for an area to be really successful you need a diversity of business uses that brings people to an area at all different times of the day. She dubbed it an orchestra on the street. A variety of people, there at a variety of times, there for a variety of reasons makes a successful district.

I think GR business needs to take a que from places like Indianapolis. Parking is key and serious retailors won't take a risk in investment in an area devoid of real population density. . At Circle Center (in the core of downtown Indy) if you show a receipt of purchase from the mall then parking will only cost 1 dollar (Back in 2002). It takes a huge initial investment but helps to attract retailors. I think a big problem is that Monroe Center retail spaces are owned by too many groups. DeVries, Rockford, Shurlow, etc. If such space was owned (or least managed) by one group leasing would be much easier. That way leasing could be done simialr as a mall. I think Monroe Center needs to be approached not as individual stores but as the entire street as an outdoor mall. I know certain national retailors follow one another. The classic example is that if a Walmart is built Dress Barn and Radio Shack follow close by. Walmart assures a steady flow of patrons. So the logical conclusion is a manager convinces Gap to open a store in their outdoor mall...Ann Taylor follows...etc. All this must be predicated on afffodable parking. Which, sadly, the area lacks.

I think GR business needs to take a que from places like Indianapolis. Parking is key and serious retailors won't take a risk in investment in an area devoid of real population density. . At Circle Center (in the core of downtown Indy) if you show a receipt of purchase from the mall then parking will only cost 1 dollar (Back in 2002). It takes a huge initial investment but helps to attract retailors. I think a big problem is that Monroe Center retail spaces are owned by too many groups. DeVries, Rockford, Shurlow, etc. If such space was owned (or least managed) by one group leasing would be much easier. That way leasing could be done simialr as a mall. I think Monroe Center needs to be approached not as individual stores but as the entire street as an outdoor mall. I know certain national retailors follow one another. The classic example is that if a Walmart is built Dress Barn and Radio Shack follow close by. Walmart assures a steady flow of patrons. So the logical conclusion is a manager convinces Gap to open a store in their outdoor mall...Ann Taylor follows...etc. All this must be predicated on afffodable parking. Which, sadly, the area lacks.

That is just plain city psycho-babble. The city needs a hub. I'll agree that other shopping districts exist, and that is fantastic, but shrugging your shoulders and saying "we're different and we like it that way" is just plain short-sighted. Downtown *needs* a component of retail. I think there is a fine balance of office, residential, entertainment and retail that needs to be maintained as our city grows. We can live without one or the other for a while, but at some point, people living downtown will not want to hop into their cars and go to the burbs.

The last time I checked, Chicago has a "main street", and also has many thriving shopping districts. One does not replace the other.

Joe

"The retail we have is not in one place. Downtown retail is different, and we like that difference," said Evoy.

Downtown is a little town. When it's naked its pretty much comparable to a small town. It may sting to some of you when I say this, but maybe we should look to the main street suburbs around Grand Rapids that are doing it right. Maybe we can gain a greater sense of how to start off small so that the Center can grow into something larger.

I think if Monroe Center is to be a retail center it should be simple -- ie. streamlined. I think a few ways to streamline the Center is to establish a distinct advertising district of its own and centralize complementing business. Just start off really small and simple with a convincing package. Read Below:

My girlfriend bought me one of those new iPod Shuffles for Christmas. I'm not a man of gadgets, but man this thing is cool. This little thing can hold up to 12 continues hours of my favorite songs, its discreet, sleek, attractive, and of course it clips right on my tie or shirt. The packaging sold me on sight when I opened it up. I was sold on the image and function.

This gadget is so simple -- it stores my music and plays it back. How simple is that?! So its no wonder that the simplicity of it transcended down into the design of the product and packaging. My point is simplicity.

Of all the areas downtown, Monroe Center is best equipped to be the main retail focal point downtown. It not only has a lot of on-street parking on it as well as within an easy walk, it also has a parking ramp almost exclusively built for it, with enclosed access right to Monroe Center. It also has a lot of benches, extra-wide sidewalks, snowmelt system, good anchors at each end with the Civic Theater and Children's Museum at the East, and the Amway Grand and Art Museum at the West end. Gee, it's almost as if someone planned that to be the main retail epicenter. :whistling:

I am well aware of this and really appreciate the condescension. I often park in the lot and think the area is well suited for retail. I believe Monroe Center just needs 2 more elements to be successful. Nearly free parking and unitary branding (perhaps Center City Shops or something along that line -and push the idea hard) I has to be marketable and seek nationally known brands. All Monroe Center needs is one well known brand to draw their loyal customers (Gap, Old Navy, Aldo) and other retail will follow (don't worry local shops can thrive if a "Gap" is bringining in the people.) I maintain that 1 hour free parking does not allow casual shoppers to take time to shop, sit for lunch, etc. When I park in the city lot I am constantly checking my watch so I can hurry back before fees begin. The city and the merchants need to find a way to offer better rates. It is a real problem that the City owns the lot as I think it deters retailers frm coming into the area. The ideal would be that the conglomerate of merchants could own the lot and offer nearly free parking for paying customers (ala Circle Center in Indy). One can dream. Your "bums" point is valid as my wife and mother have expressed concerns over that exact issue. Without parking and a conglomerate of retailers I think the future looks dark for retail in this area.

Yes, but.........W.W.J.J.D (What would Jane Jacobs Do?). J.J. would argue (and so would I for that matter). That in order for an area to be really successful you need a diversity of business uses that brings people to an area at all different times of the day. She dubbed it an orchestra on the street. A variety of people, there at a variety of times, there for a variety of reasons makes a successful district.

But he agreed with Lambers' statements last week, which concluded there wasn't enough traffic to support a bookstore.

"We've looked repeatedly and quite seriously at the downtown and we've come to the same conclusion, fortunately without getting the investment sunk in,"

I believe that it is important to recognize the commitment that has been made by so many retailers that are currently located in the downtown area. Without their continued efforts and dedication to the development of an established retail presence, we would not be having this discussion.

With that said, I have had many conversations over the past few months with business owners, investors, and job makers on what they feel it is going to take to build a foundation for consistent growth and success in retail in the downtown area:

1. First and foremost, we need to make more of an effort as individuals to invest our money in the businesses that are already down here and get our friends, family, and co-workers to do the same. These retailers have, for better or worse, taken it in the chops long enough on our behalf. They see the same potential that we do for downtown or they would not be here. They need our support, consistently. That means do not buy your cup of coffee on the way in to work. Instead, leave 10 minutes early so that you can have time to walk over to Four Friends (or whoever) and buy it from them. Instead of taking off in a car to meet a client for lunch on 28th street or Alpine, invite them to a restaurant downtown. Instead of buying the paper at the store, pick it up on Ottawa. I know, I know, we all know these things. But if we could, at the very least, get ourselves to do it EVERYDAY, then we would have something to complain about. Right now, not so much.

2. As individuals, talk to the retailers about what they think would help them individually build foot traffic. I think that you will find, as expected, that they each have their own take on what will help. But, like many have said in this discussion, it is that diversity of options that will create some of the buzz to attract people here.

3. I think the one of the most prominent things that I heard in my conversations is that we need people to think about "Going to GR" like they think about "Going to Holland" or "Going to Chicago." I cannot tell you half of the shops in the Holland shopping district, yet I am pretty sure that I have bought at least something from everyone of them. Why? Because we went to Holland to shop and get away from the mall. I like the atmosphere, I like the variety, I like the pace. Heck, I like the fudge! Take those thoughts and apply them on a larger scale to downtown GR. When someone says that they are "Going to GR" we have to clarify where in GR. We need people to think about it in terms of going downtown. That comes back to building the atmosphere, the nostalgia, the feel. You remember the emotions of a trip more than the sites. We need that feeling to permeate throughout downtown GR. You do that through building an emotional attachment.

4. Let's just say that, going forward, the proper expectations need to be set for potential retailers. Just tell them for the first 4 to five years, you, like amazon.com, will lose money. A lot of money. Your investment must be for the long term. So do it right from the beginning, make your presence known, and be absolutely certain that you can afford to lose money for awhile. No use in setting up shop just to set up shop.

5. Investors need to step up. Hey, Grand Angels: the state will not step up to help retail. So, here is your chance to provide the initial influx of cash needed to get retail off the ground in downtown. Do not look to make money quickly, but if you can step up to the plate and help land some great retailers (for instance, even Holland has a Talbots), it would be much appreciated. Most people with great ideas do not have nor want the business mind to make it viable on their own. They need your help. They need our help. SO, HELP!

6. Work together is the final thing that I will say. RETAIL WILL NOT WORK unless things are planned together and communication is at the highest of priorities. You cannot successfully make retail happen in any environment unless each store sees the next door neighbor as an asset and not a liability. If they struggle, you struggle. If they do well, then you can do well. Build momentum and a single message that says "We all want you to come here." You cannot have a bookstore competing on its own against established, more convenient stores with larger selections. So work with other retailers to build the area into an attraction. Case in point again: Holland. They have a bookstore. They work with their neighbors well ahead of time. They have foot traffic that comes in from other stores. They are still in business.

In short (all evidence to the contrary), this retail thing can work. But not by approaching it the same old way. I am sure that there are other things that could be done to help. These are simply my thoughts on how to turn the ignition key.

I think one thing that will help, especially in regards to people somewhat familiar with DT, to help bring friends DT, is some sort of coupon which applies to DT Businesses. Familiar with the Entertainment Book coupons? Maybe something like that geared for DT... or maybe just a coupon in the Press offering 5% anything from a DT store. Businesses will have to work together for this, but some people will be all like "hey, i got this coupon for downtown, let's check it out" It definately won't bring in the whole populace, but it could help people hanging out with relatives or friends to bring others DT.

I think one thing that will help, especially in regards to people somewhat familiar with DT, to help bring friends DT, is some sort of coupon which applies to DT Businesses. Familiar with the Entertainment Book coupons? Maybe something like that geared for DT... or maybe just a coupon in the Press offering 5% anything from a DT store. Businesses will have to work together for this, but some people will be all like "hey, i got this coupon for downtown, let's check it out" It definately won't bring in the whole populace, but it could help people hanging out with relatives or friends to bring others DT.

Not that I doubted you Veloise about the new parking directional signs, but OMG I can't believe it. I love a responsive city!

At Monroe Center and Ottawa

352971967_3b66ece019_b.jpg

At Ottawa and Louis

352971942_204e30d41e_b.jpg

At Ionia and Louis

352971955_48f26cbe97_b.jpg

There was even ANOTHER one across Ionia from the Monroe Center ramp entrance, but I didn't get a picture of it (but I saw it clear as day). Downtown retailers need every tool at their disposal that they can get.

Herkner Jewelers in Ledyard without the old canopy

352971938_a05c625503_b.jpg

Not that I doubted you Veloise about the new parking directional signs, but OMG I can't believe it. I love a responsive city!

At Monroe Center and Ottawa ...At Ottawa and Louis ...At Ionia and Louis

freepark.jpg

There was even ANOTHER one across Ionia from the Monroe Center ramp entrance, but I didn't get a picture of it (but I saw it clear as day). Downtown retailers need every tool at their disposal that they can get.

COOL! Now all they need are flashing marquee lights and waving pointy fingers, to help the soccer moms figure out where to turn.

[if I were the DDA parking goddess, I'd have prominent maps to hand out, and on display in every Downtown Aliiance member's location. And stationed in the kids' museum, a tattoo artist, to help patrons remember the details.]

[This did take longer than I expected...when did I post the original? 2 weeks before Christmas?]

Archived