Retail Downtown

GRDadof3

I try to avoid driving DT as much as possible. It just doesn't make sense to fire up the four-wheeler and roll it down the hill for less than a mile. Going to church (the one on Fountain Street), I can get there faster on the bike.

[Add "bicycle locks" to that "earmuff" list]

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not that I doubted you Veloise about the new parking directional signs, but OMG I can't believe it. I love a responsive city!

At Monroe Center and Ottawa

352971967_3b66ece019_b.jpg

At Ottawa and Louis

352971942_204e30d41e_b.jpg

At Ionia and Louis

352971955_48f26cbe97_b.jpg

There was even ANOTHER one across Ionia from the Monroe Center ramp entrance, but I didn't get a picture of it (but I saw it clear as day). Downtown retailers need every tool at their disposal that they can get.

Herkner Jewelers in Ledyard without the old canopy

352971938_a05c625503_b.jpg

Earlier I mentioned that what DTGR should be doing is hiring a consultant who is an expert at retail...exactly what the malls and lifestyle centers do. They could have taken the $50K from the bookstore and the $80K that they threw away on the "keep it a secret" campaign and actually did something to help the cause.

I posed Bob Gibbs has possibility, he just happens to be in Michigan and is a national retail expert. Note that I have no affiliation with Bob, but agree with what he says below (which is copied from national listserve).

I do not agree with the concept of trying to make downtowns competitive with other retail centers by offering non-chain stores. Chain stores do not force people to shop there, they offer goods and services that people want and can afford. The Main Street approach of selling candles and other things that we don't need moves the market share to the suburban shopping center. I would rather have more popular stores and market share in our downtowns, like they were in the 1950's

This is, in effect saying, we, the downtown will be successful by selling goods and services that people don't need or want. --Bob Gibbs

Earlier I mentioned that what DTGR should be doing is hiring a consultant who is an expert at retail...exactly what the malls and lifestyle centers do. They could have taken the $50K from the bookstore and the $80K that they threw away on the "keep it a secret" campaign and actually did something to help the cause.

I posed Bob Gibbs has possibility, he just happens to be in Michigan and is a national retail expert. Note that I have no affiliation with Bob, but agree with what he says below (which is copied from national listserve).

Bob's comment below is on the same list, on the same topic, which deals with incentivizing retail:

This alone is sage advice. Putting a big box / national retailer into play, DT - whether it be a Target, a Walmart (not withstanding their questionable business practices), or a Crate and Barrell is fine as long as they adhere to the urban context. One of these retailers would provide an anchor and additional viability and lead to co-tenants (3 of the 5 on the list).

Of course we still need to deal with parking....allegedly.

Bob's comment below is on the same list, on the same topic, which deals with incentivizing retail:

This alone is sage advice. Putting a big box / national retailer into play, DT - whether it be a Target, a Walmart (not withstanding their questionable business practices), or a Crate and Barrell is fine as long as they adhere to the urban context. One of these retailers would provide an anchor and additional viability and lead to co-tenants (3 of the 5 on the list).

Of course we still need to deal with parking....allegedly.

If all this is true (and I guess I can see his point about selling candles to people who don't really need candles), where close to the core and Monroe Center can a retail complex be built, that would have enough room for an anchor or two and at least a dozen co-tenants, and enough parking? Something like Circle Centre in Indy.

Lyon & Ottawa would be ideal.

Area 4/5

Fulton & Division maybe?

What about a new mixed-use complex at Lyon & Ottawa (with a tower), and then connect to the atrium area in the Water's Building across the street with a multi-story atrium that crosses the street, much like Circle Centre. All those office tenants displaced at the Water's Building could then go into the new Lyon & Ottawa Tower.

361884719_ba4acf3890_o.jpg

361884718_440ba486fa_o.jpg

indymall.gif

What about a new mixed-use complex at Lyon & Ottawa (with a tower), and then connect to the atrium area in the Water's Building across the street with a multi-story atrium that crosses the street, much like Circle Centre. All those office tenants displaced at the Water's Building could then go into the new Lyon & Ottawa Tower.

361884719_ba4acf3890_o.jpg

GRDad and DwntwnGeo; Not only is it a really good idea but it enlivens many of the "blank" spots in downtown while giving Monroe greater worth just because of it's proximity. Maybe Mel Simon (the folks who did the Indianapolis downtown mall) would be someone who would see value in something like this.

The ceiling heights on the first floor of the Keeler are very high. In that picture look closely to see the front door of the main hallway. You could easilly take another door of the same size and place it immediately above and stick out of that alcove only slightly. Judging by that, it looks as though the floors above may also have high ceiling clearances. Not sure about parking garage size requirements, but perhaps attempt to build a parking agarage next door between the Keeler and the Civic with ground-floor retail. If not there, I'm sure the surface lot across the street is large enough, and you can go through that lot right out onto Monroe Center.

The only way this would work is if you have at least 1 million sq feet.

3 anchors and say 120 other stores.

If its not that big it would simply fail. (city center)

It would require that much space too pull in the suburbanites and family's.

Also a multi level 3 or more, with atrium would give it the cool factor.

Thus making it stand out in the GR metro retail landscape.

This would make it the preferred place to go for all, and not an alternative,

or downtown only market.

Ad in a water park and your talking a cash cow boondoggle success.

Archived