Retail Downtown

GRDadof3

This might be a little off topic, but I couldn't find another spot to put this article and didn't know if it should have its own thread.

"One indicator of business activity in downtown is the number of monthly parking spaces that are leased in the city's parking system. And the latest tally shows activity is up by 14 percent over the past four years."

"There is a pretty consistent upward trend: about 250 cards per year," said Pam Ritsema, director of the city's Parking Services Department. "We're pretty full except for some ramp spaces."

"Ritsema reported that there was room for 457 monthly cards in the system, but only at four facilities: the Government Center and Ottawa Fulton ramps and the Monroe North and DASH South Area 6 lots. Ritsema said she liked having a cushion of 400 spaces for future growth."

With increased workers, the need for monthly parking and residents downtowns I think retail won't be too far behind.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I might get flack for this, but its an honest question. Could it be that the destination retail that is being clamored for is because its not being encouraged?

I just read the GRBJ article, "Does G.R. Need A Mystery Development?" and at the end of the article I was interested at this excerpt:

Sharon Evoy, executive director of the Downtown Alliance, believes that national chain retail is not the best fit for downtown Grand Rapids.

“Whether attracting it is realistic or not, it’s something you don’t want in a traditional downtown, where the strengths are locally owned businesses, not chains you can get in any city in the country.”

Rizzo- you are right on with your question. You would think that you need a little of both national and local to make it work. Again, to use Holland as a small example- they have a local bookstore and a Talbots within a city block of each other. One is local, one is national. Both are needed.

I think that it easier for the city to make the blanket statement that "we don't need or cannot get national retail downtown", than to go to work and find out what it would take to attract some of these businesses. All you have to do is look at cities of like size to Grand Rapids to see that it is possible - Salt Lake City, Providence, Norfolk, Madison. No, the city will sit back and wait for retail to come to them, and we see how well that has worked so far.

I think that it easier for the city to make the blanket statement that "we don't need or cannot get national retail downtown", than to go to work and find out what it would take to attract some of these businesses. All you have to do is look at cities of like size to Grand Rapids to see that it is possible - Salt Lake City, Providence, Norfolk, Madison. No, the city will sit back and wait for retail to come to them, and we see how well that has worked so far.

The issue is is that the Downtown Alliance (Sharon Evoy quoted) is made up of downtown business owners, who are mostly locally owned, and pay into the Downtown Improvement District to maintain the cleanliness of the designated area. They are probably afraid that a campaign to bring in national retailers would kill them. I'm not saying that their feeling is right or wrong, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that's their motivation to say it shouldn't be done.

I can't believe people in our city say such stupid things. I can guarantee you that a GAP, Urban Outfitters or Victoria's Secret would not only attract more shoppers, but those shoppers would go across the street and see what Little Bohemia has to offer. To think that local businesses can't survive right next to chain's is just not true. I have been to many cities that have an ecclectic mix of local and national retailers. Think of the chain's as anchor stores that draw in more people and have your business model ready to convert them into *YOUR* paying customers.

It's pretty simple in my mind and I can't believe the amount of crap that has been coming out of our city official's mouths lately. Does anyone have any common sense these days?

End rant.

Joe

I can't believe people in our city say such stupid things. I can guarantee you that a GAP, Urban Outfitters or Victoria's Secret would not only attract more shoppers, but those shoppers would go across the street and see what Little Bohemia has to offer. To think that local businesses can't survive right next to chain's is just not true. I have been to many cities that have an ecclectic mix of local and national retailers. Think of the chain's as anchor stores that draw in more people and have your business model ready to convert them into *YOUR* paying customers.

It's pretty simple in my mind and I can't believe the amount of crap that has been coming out of our city official's mouths lately. Does anyone have any common sense these days?

End rant.

Joe

I think some people take LocalFirst to the extremes and make it "LocalAlways", IMHO. I agree that a good mix of national and local would be the best scenario. If someone lives in Jenison or Cascade and wants to go to Talbots, are they going to pick downtown, probably not. But a couple of national retailers mixed in with local shops adds a HUGE amount of legitimacy to a retail area, and can make downtown that "alternative destination" shopping area. Just look how tslater felt when he saw a Ben & Jerry's in downtown Holland. I felt the same way when I saw a Chico's in downtown Holland. I was shocked. All of a sudden the downtown area felt more "big-city", and that was in downtown Holland.

There was a great editorial in the Business Journal written from an older woman's point of view about downtown retail. It hit the nail right on the head. I can't find the online link though.

It's really sad and I think the DDA and/or City Commission needs to sit down with the Downtown Alliance and have a little heart-to-heart.

A mix is the key...no doubt.

It's a difficult mix to make though.

Using Holland as an example...if Starbucks showed up next week downtown, I'd bet just about anything that JPs, Lemmon Jellos and Good Earth couldn't all survive for very long (1 or 2 would make it, 1 would almost certainly close). Does that mean we should prevent national retail from our regional downtowns? Of course not. But I actually worry for Holland sometimes.

I usually think of downtown Birmingham. When I was a kid, it was 100% local retailers (except for Jacobson's). Then when I was in High School it was nothing more than an open-air mall (Express, Talbot's, etc.) with almost no local retailing that I recall.

Now it's an ideal mix. It's my favorite downtown in Michigan (by far) and it's vibrant, expanding (booming if construction of condos is any measure) and contains everything you'd want in a downtown: critical mass of residents, retail, dining. Lacks good bars (other than Dick O'Dow's) though.

If the building owners weren't so darn greedy with their rent prices, retail could still have a fighting chance.

Little Bohemia is a wonderful store! The boutique to the west is cool, too. If there were more UNIQUE retail shops along Monroe Center (i.e., forget chains like Jimmy John's), it would be a good start.

Also, the storefronts need to be attractive. I'm just amazed that Rockford has left the front of the grocery store and wig shop with such an ugly, unfinished look. Inexcusable.

Again, RENTS simply have to be reasonable. Building owners are just shooting themselves in their collective feet b/c when rents are too high, store owners move out... and then you have a vacant space gathering dust, but no rent at all.

I know we already discussed this (because UP was quoted) but did anyone see the GRBJ article about keeping chains out of downtown? This is troubling, good thing we already got in some good words via UP, but is there anything else we can do to encourage the officials who are supposed to help downtown that a MIX is SO important!!

Especially for the out-of-towner convention people, some new and some familiar is important if they're going to venture out.

Here's the link...

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...+Or+No+Deal.htm

Plus a quote you'll love...

In Hassberger

I know we already discussed this (because UP was quoted) but did anyone see the GRBJ article about keeping chains out of downtown? This is troubling, good thing we already got in some good words via UP, but is there anything else we can do to encourage the officials who are supposed to help downtown that a MIX is SO important!!

Especially for the out-of-towner convention people, some new and some familiar is important if they're going to venture out.

Here's the link...

I guess the developer of Cherry Street Landing thinks it costs $39 to park... :(:(

Here's the link...

I guess the developer of Cherry Street Landing thinks it costs $39 to park... :(:(

Archived