Southeast Parkway

ATLBrain

In today's Tennessean. This now has a timetable for starting (which will probably move up by 2-3 years before it's all done). It's been rumored for years as taking any different form from a tollway to a boulevard. Looks like the latter has been chosen. Anyway, I've heard that this will open up somewhere around 100,000 building sites in SE Davidson and NW Rutherford, now that the sewer/water and other infrastructure is completed in that part of the county. It will go up to Concord. So this sounds like the first leg of a crossway from Rutherford to Williamson.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...090101/70104021

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could well be the beginnings of a major housing boom in SE Davidson. I have heard rumors that they would one day build a parkway that connected between Sam Ridley Pkwy in Smyrna and Cool Springs Blvd in Franklin. IMO, that project would have monster impact on the development of the SE metro area.

There goes the countryside. I drove through the Carothers property near Cane Ridge area yesterday for the first time in quite a while. This is a preview of what will come I'm sure. Carothers is building a giant series of "urban" villages and I can't recall too many projects of this scope. It seemed to go on forever. So many trees, houses, barns and such are just gone. There are still large trees, but the forests I knew so well are just....... gone. Looks like Nolensville, the wonderful small town south of here undergoing constant rape by developers no matter how hard they fight it. It almost makes you want to cry, but what can anybody do about it?

Providence is the same way. Hendersonville is the same way. In ten years will anybody around here even know what a cow looks like? Sadly, I doubt it. Not until you're far, far from Davidson County.

Unless you get out and drive these out of the way places, it's really hard to fathom the enormity of these developments and how the landscape as we've always known it is going fast.

Roads like this make me mad because people are unwilling to spend money in rail because 'there's no demand' but we'll spend hundreds of millions on a road based on the notion that 'development will go there someday.' It's like 840....not really needed, but it's just causing more suburban growth in places that were rural before.

Roads like this make me mad because people are unwilling to spend money in rail because 'there's no demand' but we'll spend hundreds of millions on a road based on the notion that 'development will go there someday.' It's like 840....not really needed, but it's just causing more suburban growth in places that were rural before.

A few questions:

1. Does this mean the Sam Ridley to Moores Lane parkway idea is dead?

2. If the SE Parkway is built to adjoin to Concord Rd where it butts into Nolensville Rd, will they straighten out that curve/stupid stop sign on Concord about 1/4 mile from Nolensville Rd?

3. Isn't the land between I-24 and Nolensville Rd really hilly and pock-marked with houses?

Let's face it, we're stiill addicted to the automobile, and there will never really be any other alternative unless economics dictate otherwise. It would take a massive gax tax that would be diverted to mass transit construction, or the conversion of all interstates and four lane highways to toll roads to cause any truly meaningful shift away from the automobile as the primary (or even only?) means of transportation. I fear that nothing like this will ever be enacted before no one would have the political will to try.

We can at least hope for things like bus lanes and sidewalks are included the first time around since this will be a brand new road--and since they are calling it a parkway. I don't know though, will the road be too much like a mini-freeway to have sidewalks? It will be four lanes--sounds like it will be similar to Briley Parkway--very much like a freeway but with stoplights in places. Sidewalks and pedestrian friendly this road will probably not be. Is that a bad thing for a connector like this one? Still hoping for bus lanes though.

I believe when they say four lanes, they mean two going each way, and it will probably be separated. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bike lane, but sidewalks might be stretching it. Another four lane parkway I know of is Mack Hatcher in Franklin. Very pedestrian unfriendly. In fact, the purpose of a parkway is to have higher speeds by not having anything empty out into it. There can only be other roads intersecting it. That means businesses or neighborhoods or churches can't have entrances that front the road, they have to be on a side road that intersects with the parkway. That is how Mack Hatcher is, at least, which has a speed limit of 55 mph, btw. I won't be expecting an urban road out of this.

I believe when they say four lanes, they mean two going each way, and it will probably be separated. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bike lane, but sidewalks might be stretching it. Another four lane parkway I know of is Mack Hatcher in Franklin. Very pedestrian unfriendly. In fact, the purpose of a parkway is to have higher speeds by not having anything empty out into it. There can only be other roads intersecting it. That means businesses or neighborhoods or churches can't have entrances that front the road, they have to be on a side road that intersects with the parkway. That is how Mack Hatcher is, at least, which has a speed limit of 55 mph, btw. I won't be expecting an urban road out of this.

I know, I think it starts sometime next year or the year after. Which means it won't start for another 10 years and won't be finished for another 25 years. I'll probably be dead because of global warming by that time, though. How sad.

And I can't believe you actually tried to cross that thing. Are you stupid?

Archived