Great spots for photos

gs3

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent shots, Ondrovic! I've been meaning to get up to Twin Falls, but haven't had a chance. One of my Christmas presents was "The Waterfalls of South Carolina" by Benjamin Brooks and Tim Cook. It's a wonderful resource, albeit with one glaring omission - Reedy Falls isn't included.

GPUpstate - I stopped by your photo location at Eastlan Baptist yesterday. My 50mm lens didn't pull in the detail of your shots, but it did get the entire scene. You're right about it having a nice view of the skyline. I just wish the power lines didn't obscure the view so much.

Another great spot (although again outside Greenville County) is Triple Falls in the DuPont Forest. The parking lot for this waterfall is here : N35 12 02.2 W82 37 10.5

This was also taken Saturday 06 Jan 07 but a little too late in the morning as the lighting was really harsh and I didn't have quite enough ND with me.

If you go, you'll need at least 70mm.

triple_falls.jpg

There are over 50 waterfalls in the Upstate, so we're talking about plenty of getaways for photos. One that someone should shoot and post is Raven Cliff Falls, South Carolina's signature 400-foot cascade near Caesar's Head State Park. It is, IMO, the most beautiful of all waterfalls in the eastern USA.

BTW, very beautiful photos, ondrovic! And a belated welcome! :thumbsup:

Actually their is a more impressive waterfall not far from Raven Cliff Falls (It's not as tall but it is quite high and can be quite powerful at time. It's on the Camp Greenville Property below the Pretty Place chapel. I went hiking there a while back with a church group and was amazed. I think it's called Rainbow Falls. It's not an easy hike however. The last time I was there you actually had to get to certain spots but hanging on a rope and an almost veritical slope.

GPUpstate - I stopped by your photo location at Eastlan Baptist yesterday. My 50mm lens didn't pull in the detail of your shots, but it did get the entire scene. You're right about it having a nice view of the skyline. I just wish the power lines didn't obscure the view so much.

Me and my dad go hiking all the time in the mountains, so i've seen all of these waterfalls and more. They are all very impressive and just can't get enough of them. We actually helped build the new trail and shelter that goes to Raven Cliff Falls near Ceaser's Head. The reason we had to do this is because the old trail was causing too much erosion and we couldn't let that continue obviously. This is why I love living here, because you're very close to the mountains and not far from the ocean either. :thumbsup:

There are over 50 waterfalls in the Upstate, so we're talking about plenty of getaways for photos. One that someone should shoot and post is Raven Cliff Falls, South Carolina's signature 400-foot cascade near Caesar's Head State Park. It is, IMO, the most beautiful of all waterfalls in the eastern USA.

BTW, very beautiful photos, ondrovic! And a belated welcome! :thumbsup:

I think I posted this in day trips or someplace, but I believe the best place for hiking, and

photo ops. [to me] would have to be Linville Falls, Linville Gorge and Wilderness area.

I love this place, it is one of the most beautiful and rugged places in the east. I actually have

a friend that has kayaked this river from the base of the falls to lake James, witch has a

2000ft drop in elevation in 16.4 miles. Here is a linkPicture018.jpgPicture020.jpg

No offense, but I can't imagine anything worse than condos on that site to replace a nice, large neo-Georgian style Eastlan Baptist Church on that hill. I think I've only met just a couple of people who attend there, and have no real connection to it, I know they serve the surrounding neighborhood, but seeing that church on the hill is inspiring at times. It's beautiful and seeing that structure raised for some condos would about be a travesty.

Oh, and a bonus picture of Triple Falls in the Dupont State Forest:

50659922_f08caac5f0.jpg

I always liked Brasstown falls, actually four different falls, one right after the other. Each is unique and worthy on it's own. And don't forget lower Whitewater, it may be the most impressive in terms of sheer amount of water and straight drop. There are also a couple of falls that fall right into the edge of the Chatooga. :thumbsup:

Archived