Fort Smith gets National U.S. Marshals Museum

FSN17

FORT SMITH - The word is now official. The National U.S. Marshals Museum is coming to Fort Smith. Claude Legris, chairman of the Fort Smith Marshals Museum Steering Committee, made the announcement live on KFSM News at 5 on Thursday evening.

The National U.S. Marshals Museum is a multi-million dollar project that will interpret the entire history of the U.S. Marshals Service.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought they would have a good shot at it but you never know. There's a lot of history with the marshals in Ft Smith. I believe I mentioned this before but more marshals are buried in Ft Smith than any other place. I read that this museum could bring in hundreds of thousands or tourist and millions of dollars of economic impact. Not sure where these numbers come from but if it's accurate then it will certainly be a great addition to the city and the area.

WOO HOO! :yahoo: That will be a great addition for the city. It will be the icing on the cake, complimenting what the city already has to offer in the history/culture dept. Great news! I was almost sure they'd get it...but all too often Arkansas loses out on big things, and they go to other states. Fort Smith did an excellent job in presenting the city and selling the area as the perfect place for this. :yahoo:

I'm really excited about this as well. I've always had a fascination with the US Marshals; I even considered it as a career once. The museum will be a great asset for Fort Smith, and will add to the many other fine museums and exhibt halls in Arkansas. The next one that gets me really excited is the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art......... Who knew Arkansas could be so cultured? :D

I'm really excited about this as well. I've always had a fascination with the US Marshals; I even considered it as a career once. The museum will be a great asset for Fort Smith, and will add to the many other fine museums and exhibt halls in Arkansas. The next one that gets me really excited is the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art......... Who knew Arkansas could be so cultured? :D

Sounds like the problem is in raising the $15-20 million to open it. That will be the delay, and it could be longer than expected.

The cool thing about things like this and Crystal Bridges is that as someone that has always enjoyed traveling around Arkansas I was going to be spending a weekend in Ft Smith or NWA anyway. This just gives me something to get excited about while I'm there, you know?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived