New Laptop/Notebook

monsoon

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mac Book Pro 15" or 17" model depending on budget. Of course you are talking to a diehard Apple fanatic. But you can run Windows at native speeds thanks to Intel chips and a copy of Apple's Bootcamp for those too commited to any Windows softwere to which there are no mac versions of.

This summer I plan to revamp my home office including a new desk, paint on the walls, and a new shiny MacBook Pro. I've always been a Windows guy (though I have owned an iBook G4 since 2005 in addition) and my work requires me to use Windows more than most. I'm really tired of Microsoft's tactics and though I can't leave the Windows environment entirely, mostly due to my work's requirements and some applications that are Windows only, I plan to run my personal life from the Mac workspace.

I have a Compaq laptop, and it suits me just fine.

I dont know the name, but i saw an awesome little laptop at bestbuy the other week. Its super little, has a carbon fiber case(its light), and surprisingly, it has a nice sized hard drive.

EDIT: here it is, its a sony vaio

Linky

I'm actually doing research as to what I'm going to be getting when my taxes come back. All I know is I'm going to use it primarily for DJing, everything else is going to be minimal to save on cost. So probably upper 1ghz lower 2ghz processor range, and lots of ram. I'd likely use an external HDD for music, and would also be using a USB Sound Card. So, basically a midrange PC laptop I guess. It's just a matter of finding one brand new that isn't a Dell or Compaq.

I'm not very techy despite having been born + raised in the Silicon Valley to parents in the Tech industry, but my Dad retired as a quality control director for IBM's (later Hitachi's) hard drive division, and has been in hard drives since their infancy 30 years ago in companies such as Conner Peripherals, Seagate, and more. He's done just about every job there is in the industry and has been at pretty much every major player at some point, and was a founding father of Quantum hard drives, bought out by Maxtor many moons ago. So, when he makes recommendations about computers, I take them to heart.

He has always, always, always said that IBM's (now apparently Lenovos) ThinkPads are bar none the best laptops in the industry as far as durability and reliability go, and that nobody comes close. They also have a great travel model with a light titanium frame that also doubles the stiffness of it, which is what I'm writing this post on. Performance isn't bad either, although they take a while to spin up. The only other one he said that he recommended were Dells, but you have to be careful not to put too much weight on the area where you rest your wrists, as the hard drive resides right there and Dell was getting a high failure rate on those models because of that. This was a couple years ago, though, before he retired, so they may have rectified that in the meantime, however.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd bring this topic back up, as I'm looking into buying a laptop pretty soon.

I'm looking for a laptop in the $1,000-$1,500 range that can be effective in everyday use for things like business and office related work, as well as something with good multimedia features, as I have tons of music and photos that I'd love to always have with me. I've mostly been looking at HP's Pavillion line, as well as Dell's Inspiron line, and I've also looked into some of the smaller MacBook's, though I'm really not familiar with Mac's. A hard drive with anything between 80-160gb of memory would probably be fine. Also, I would need the laptop to at least be able to somewhat replace my desktop. It wouldn't have to completely replace the desktop, but I wouldn't want to feel constricted with it either, if you know what I mean.

And just a final note, I would only need the laptop to be portable enough to bring with me on occasional business or leisure trips, it wouldn't have to be with me at all times of the day.

Any suggestions are very welcome, as it seems like if you can come up with any company, they make a laptop. ;) And because of that, I'm somewhat lost in my search.

As an architecture student, I run a ton of programs at once that are notorius for killing your processor. I used to have a Sony Viao, but after two years, that thing got messed up. I now have a Dell Inspiron. I've been using it for about a year, and it has been through quite a bit (like being dropped on accident and stuff), but has not had any technical problems. It even runs quiet when I'm doing 2 renderings at once in 3ds max too. My Dell laptop will probably last me for awhile, but I'm looking to get a MacBook pro. I could really care less what Mac has to offer, I just like the aluminum casing and slim appearance. I'll probably install Windows on it and use it exclusively though.

Yeah that's the awesome thing with the new mac books. You can choose which OS you want to use on each startup!

I have a Toshiba Satellite that's nothing more than an expensive paperweight these days. I'm borrowing a Dell notebook until I can save up some cash for a mac.

Archived