New Laptop/Notebook

monsoon

Thats awesome that you can select the OS at startup.

Or you can get yourself a copy of Parallels and run Windows and OSX simultaneously! Apparently the newest version will also let you double click a Windows executable and it will run the program inside of OSX without having to switch over to the Windows environment to run it. This is just what I've heard, I have no experience with it. I'm currently typing this on an old Apple iBook G4, but this summer I am planning to upgrade to a MacBook Pro with Parallels. I've heard recently that the MacBook Pros will even run Vista better than a PC can. :lol:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would you guys recommend in terms of screen size? I think I'm pretty much sold on the HP Pavilion line, but not completely on the screen size. For a desktop replacement laptop that will spend most of its time sitting on my desk, would I be better off with a 17" screen or a 15.4"?

Depending on the apps you want to use, I will concur with Metro.m in opting for a model with a 17" screen. Since you are seeking a desktop replacement you are wanting plenty of performance under the hood. So most high end laptops that will meet your requirements are going to feature 17" screens anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Def a new MacBook, prob a 13" due to cost and needs. I have small condo, so space is a at a premium. My PC takes up too much space, and besides Macs are so much nicer IMO. I plyed around with one in an Apple store, and there's so much to like about it. I guess the only drawback might be compatibility issues, although I'm told you can run at least 2 operating systems on the macs. Linux, Vista, OS10, whatever...

I just got my new HP Pavilion dv6265us today, and so far, I'm extremely happy with it.

15.4" widescreen, 2gb RAM, 160gb Hard Drive, Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 Processor, all for less than $1300.

I was seriously looking at getting a MacBook, but eventually decided against it for a few different reasons. However, my next computer purchase, whenever it may be, will probably be a Mac.

I plan to install Ubuntu on my new laptop in a dual-boot form, so that I'll be able to run either Vista or Ubuntu at boot, depending on what I will be needing to do. I prefer Ubuntu over Windows for just surfing the internet, listening to music, etc., but there are some times where I just have to run Windows.

Now ive only used a Mac once,so i cant say that they are better or worse, but why do all Mac users say that Windows crashes all the time? Ive never really had it crash on me, only a few times from running programs that i didnt have enough ram to run properly. And, i spend an extra 40 bucks to get norton anti virus, and i wont get any viruses. Id rather spend the extra 40 bucks and get norton antivirus to protect my decent 700 dollar PC than spend 1300 dollars on a low level Mac and be immune to viruses.

Now ive only used a Mac once,so i cant say that they are better or worse, but why do all Mac users say that Windows crashes all the time? Ive never really had it crash on me, only a few times from running programs that i didnt have enough ram to run properly. And, i spend an extra 40 bucks to get norton anti virus, and i wont get any viruses. Id rather spend the extra 40 bucks and get norton antivirus to protect my decent 700 dollar PC than spend 1300 dollars on a low level Mac and be immune to viruses.

I'm partial to desktops (I like my iMac G5 - people always ask "Where's the rest of the computer?") but if I were going to go mobile with my computing, I'd go for the Apple iBook. My girlfriend got one of these recently and she loves it. One thing to warn you about though: the keys are just a tad more spaced out and seem a bit light to the touch. I've found I can't really rest my fingers on the keys. I guess that's something you have to get used to with almost any new computer though.

every operating system has its place. i've been running windows since 95 (skipped ME for 2000) and haven't gotten a virus or spyware infection.

frankly, i don't see the point in buying an apple (i refuse to call them macs because they're just an expensive PC with a different operating system). you can get an HP laptop with the same features for less money, and it'd last just as long.

i just don't understand this "pain" and "trials and tribulations" of keeping a windows box clean. i do it just fine. i don't use IE, mainly because i just like firefox better. i don't use AOL's AIM, again because i like gaim better and AIM is a bloated piece of crap, i use outlook at work for exchange, and i don't actively have to keep viruses or spyware out of my system.

frankly, the attitude that people who use computers shouldn't have to learn how to use them is dangerous. if apple or ubuntu had the market share that windows does, you will see the same amount of viruses and spyware written for them. the reason you don't right now is because it's just not worth it. why write a virus that hits 10% of computer users when you can hit many more by writing it for windows instead?

i use windows because i can't run many of the programs i use in ubuntu and i don't feel like spending a premium just to buy an apple. while i do know about computers, trying to use wine is just too convoluted for me, and i've tried switching to open office and it's a slow bloated piece of software. i also use quicken, turbo tax, and dreamweaver, which i can't use in linux (nvu is nowhere near as good as dreamweaver).

frankly, the attitude that people who use computers shouldn't have to learn how to use them is dangerous. if apple or ubuntu had the market share that windows does, you will see the same amount of viruses and spyware written for them. the reason you don't right now is because it's just not worth it. why write a virus that hits 10% of computer users when you can hit many more by writing it for windows instead?

Apple and Ubuntu are based on Unix and as a result are not subject to system viruses. They are not. Just because Windows is such a poorly designed and written piece of software don't assume that all operating systems also have the same design flaws.

People have been using computers for decades now without knowing the internals of the machines they are using. Windows is the first operating system that requires them to do so or they risk dangerous consequences.

Honestly you really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to Administer vs Root. The paradigm between the two operating systems is completely different and I am not going to waste time here trying to teach a basic computer education class.

I make a lot of money because Windows is such a defective product but that doesn't mean I would recommend it to anyone. It would be like a physician advising people to go smoke cigarettes because it causes people to get lung cancer.

Honestly you really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to Administer vs Root. The paradigm between the two operating systems is completely different and I am not going to waste time here trying to teach a basic computer education class.

I make a lot of money because Windows is such a defective product but that doesn't mean I would recommend it to anyone. It would be like a physician advising people to go smoke cigarettes because it causes people to get lung cancer.

i don't need a basic computer education class. i support windows myself, but i would recommend it because most people are familiar with it. however, i would educate them on how to properly use it. my mother, not very computer literate, has an XP machine, is an administrator on her computer, and has no viruses or spyware on it. she knows what kinds of emails to just delete and what kinds of webpages and links to ignore. she knows this from education because i've taught her what she should and should not click on. i would never suggest she buy an apple, it's a waste of money for shoddy hardware and an operating system she just isn't familiar with. oh yeah, she uses IE and AOL's AIM. it's not by luck that she hasn't gotten a virus or spyware infection.

i'm not a fanboy of any certain operating system, i'm not a zealot, i don't tell people they're wrong. but just coming out and saying that people shouldn't use windows is a pretty bold statement. i've been using it for years and have never had a virus or spyware infection. i've used linux and macos, and frankly, it's just not worth it for most people to try and use software through convoluted means that won't run in those operating systems. i think education is more important than the ability to just blindly use a computer without security software. eventually something will happen. no operating system is foolproof.

I would expect an engineer to have a little better knowledge of a computer than grandma sitting at home trying to send email to her grandkids and if you are in a business, I would also expect that you have a paid person responsible for making sure that glitches on your machines are minimal. The fact that a couple of people here say they have never experienced troubles with their windows boxes doesn't change the fact that most people have had trouble them and a huge percentage have had problems so bad they have to have the machine rebuilt. (more than once)

I stand by my original recommendation that for most end users Apple represents a better choice even though the up front costs are higher. And for anyone knowledgeable about computers then Linux and especially Ubuntu are a far better choice than anything that Microsoft puts out. And to characterize this as "hatred" is completely off the mark. The fact of the matter is Windows is a collection of technology that goes back 25 years and has become an unmanageable OS. It's a statement of fact with no emotion to it.

As I said earlier, we make a great deal of money because Microsoft puts out such a defective product set and I hope they keep doing so. Every time we get called it there is usually someone around who is the "expert" that really had no idea what they were talking about and because of it they were taken down.

I wouldn't recommend getting a laptop unless you absolutely have to get one. I've had 2 of them, one was an HP where the HDD broke within a week (not HP's fault though, they didn't make the HDD), and the other was a Toshiba Satellite notebook that I had for just over a year, but ended up having problems with the HDD on that one too. Laptops are portable and all which is nice, but to get one at a reasonable price you gotta sacrifice a lot of performance. If I had to recommend a notebook I'd go with a vaio or maybe toshiba, but I would never get a dell, HP, compaq because I think they are junk. Smaller outfits like Micron or Nobilis have great machines IMO, but they are pricey.

I agree that a smart user can keep a microsoft machine secure with relatively little effort. However, its obvious to me that Apple and Linux offer products far superior to Microsoft IMHO. Just because everyone uses Microsoft products doesnt mean its the best. In fact, practically all the cool toys/technologies/software microsoft offers are either rip-offs from competitors or they just buy the idea from the competitor. They're a bunch of johnny-come-lately's if you ask me.

I wouldn't recommend getting a laptop unless you absolutely have to get one. I've had 2 of them, one was an HP where the HDD broke within a week (not HP's fault though, they didn't make the HDD), and the other was a Toshiba Satellite notebook that I had for just over a year, but ended up having problems with the HDD on that one too. Laptops are portable and all which is nice, but to get one at a reasonable price you gotta sacrifice a lot of performance. If I had to recommend a notebook I'd go with a vaio or maybe toshiba, but I would never get a dell, HP, compaq because I think they are junk. Smaller outfits like Micron or Nobilis have great machines IMO, but they are pricey.

Archived