New Laptop/Notebook

monsoon

I don't really understand the whole hatred towards Windows. I am an engineer, I use computers everyday as a tool but am by no means an expert on the inner workings of the software. I've never had serious problems with Windows or Microsoft applications. I come across a couple annoying glitches in the software, but hey, this is some seriously complicated code, you'll find a glitch occassionally. Typically, the problem will get fixed on an upcoming round of updates.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely.

Consider if we were talking about something other than computers. If a tire manufacturer made a product that suffered ten times as many blowouts and punctures as any other manufacturer's tires, but this company made the most tires and the cheapest tires, it would be the same thing. Service shops would reap the benefits of such popular faulty tires, and people would continue buying them because they can get them at Wal-Mart. To not buy these tires, and to criticize them for their poor quality wouldn't be hatred. It would be smart consumer reporting.

I think some people have become so obsessed with their computers, any time somebody points out the problems with an operating system, it's like telling them their kid is ugly.

Has anyone got Vista yet? If so, how is it? (Maybe you know monsoon, since your in the computer industry?)

And whoever said that AIM is a peice of crap is right. I think im going to uninstall it and just use my AOL service. LOL, im ashamed to admit that we even have an AOL account still, but its only 3 dollars a month, so why not.

Has anyone got Vista yet? If so, how is it? (Maybe you know monsoon, since your in the computer industry?)

And whoever said that AIM is a peice of crap is right. I think im going to uninstall it and just use my AOL service. LOL, im ashamed to admit that we even have an AOL account still, but its only 3 dollars a month, so why not.

My research shows that gaim has some problems with it---crashing, etc. You had any problems with it?

I think im going to run up to best buy some time soon and dink with vista on one of their display computers.

I do like IE 7. I like the tabbed browsing, and it seems to be a lot more secure than IE 6. It wont even allow scripted windows with out asking me first.

My research shows that gaim has some problems with it---crashing, etc. You had any problems with it?

I think im going to run up to best buy some time soon and dink with vista on one of their display computers.

I do like IE 7. I like the tabbed browsing, and it seems to be a lot more secure than IE 6. It wont even allow scripted windows with out asking me first.

I make my living supporting Windows but like metro I dare not recommend it in many cases, however that doesn't mean I recommend against it in all cases. There are some great applications that only run on Windows, but that also doesn't mean that you can't get something comparable or even better on Unix or a Mac. At home I primarily use my Mac laptop now as does my wife, though we both have perfectly good PC's running XP in the office.

There is also a reason why UrbanPlanet.org runs on Linux, it is extremely stable and it can be hardened a great deal to make hacking nearly impossible. Yes, you can do the same for Windows, but in a Unix environment (Macs included) you can go many steps further in enhancing the security of the OS but until OSX came out the Unix code base was far from user friendly IMO and even now I think it still pushes many people away with its countless features. Distros like Ubuntu have helped to bridge the gap between the casual user and a Unix environment though and I definately applaud them for their accomplishment. I would have no problem giving my mother a PC running Ubuntu at this point, especially since all she does is use IM, browse the net, and read e-mail.

If you're a gamer there really isn't an option for you other than Windows unfortunately since most of the industry only caters to Windows users. I hope that will change in the future and recently I have noticed it appears to be turning in that games are being developed for Macs, Windows, and Linux distros, but it isn't across the board yet unfortunately.

I will say that IE7 is far far far better than any previous version and it really did add a great deal in terms of security. I sleep a little better at night since deploying IE7 to our corporate network over IE6. I do personally use Firefox and it is the only browser I recommend using, but even it requires the occasional security update. :)

Conclusion: Use whatever makes you happy (or whatever you're required to use) but do us all a favor and keep the darn thing updated. There are faults with all OSes available so no one can really say one is better than the other unless you are talking specific applications. I would never ever run UP off of a Windows server, but I have my company's website running off of an IIS (Windows) box strictly because of the requirements our ERP software has. Sometimes you're stuck with a certain OS so make the best of it, otherwise get what ever makes you happy.

One great reason to not run OSX on a PC is compatibility. One of the biggest reasons OSX is so reliable/stable is the fact that Apple controls what hardware it runs on and the drivers that go along with that hardware. When running OSX on a PC Apple would have no control over QA for hardware or drivers.

I will say that for all of the crap Windows gets put through by hackers, users, etc. and all of the hardware/software it must support, it does one hell of a job.

it's for that reason that MS has the signed drivers thing and the WHQL certified thing that states that the drivers went through special testing to be sure they will definitely work without problems.

microsoft is extremely good at supporting all sorts of hardware and drivers. it wasn't as true in older versions of windows (95 and NT4 for example), but XP does a great job.

That is correct, earlier versions of Windows were a nightmare, but XP really performed a makeover on this. It should be noted that 64-bit versions of Vista require WHQL signed drivers, you can't bypass this with a 64-bit install of the OS. It would seem that Microsoft is attempting to go towards Apple's model in having stiffer requirements over the drivers. With XP, WHQL (and even Vista 32-bit installs) didn't matter much considering you could continue to install the unsigned driver anyway.

That is correct, earlier versions of Windows were a nightmare, but XP really performed a makeover on this. It should be noted that 64-bit versions of Vista require WHQL signed drivers, you can't bypass this with a 64-bit install of the OS. It would seem that Microsoft is attempting to go towards Apple's model in having stiffer requirements over the drivers. With XP, WHQL (and even Vista 32-bit installs) didn't matter much considering you could continue to install the unsigned driver anyway.

considering the only people who would really be installing drivers are those who know hardware, it's not really a big deal. i like having a more open system than what apple has to offer. i really wish they would open up OSX to general PC use. apple would be a great software company...

I'm not so sure that they would be a good software company outside of their own hardware. They do have some great pieces of software, but a lot of them could use vast improvements and even their iTunes software has had issues on Vista which doesn't say much for them being a viable competitor in the PC market.

Apple makes great hardware and IMO they are a hardware company at heart, they just had to create software that would make it run.

I'm not so sure that they would be a good software company outside of their own hardware. They do have some great pieces of software, but a lot of them could use vast improvements and even their iTunes software has had issues on Vista which doesn't say much for them being a viable competitor in the PC market.

Apple makes great hardware and IMO they are a hardware company at heart, they just had to create software that would make it run.

Archived