New Laptop/Notebook

monsoon

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it has security flaws that firefox lacks. it's also bloated. if you like it, use it, but be careful of what you click on. the biggest part of the problem with IE is how tied it is to windows and how programs can run in it (activex, while useful in many cases, can be dangerous).

as for gaim, it's not buggy and it uses less resources than AIM. there's some things it can't do, but unless you use everything AIM is capable of, there's no point. gaim is also a multi-protocol client, it handles yahoo, msn, irc, jabber, and a bunch of others.

Ha, Veloise and destijl, I don't think you realize you're in the main Coffee House and not the GR Coffee House. Most people probably don't know what you're talking about.

On the subject of Firefox, why is it that I cannot open a lot of videos using Firefox?

For instance, I get this message "Click here to download plugin", but when I do it says "no suitable plugins were found":

http://video.woodtv.com/

But when I open up IE7 and go to the video, it will run...

Back to laptops, the one thing about my HP Pavilion that drives me crazy is that occasionally the toggle scroll bar (?) on the side of the mouse keypad won't work. Anyone have any tips (other than pitch it and get an Apple)? :D

I don't have that problem at all with Firefox on my HP Pavilion, so I don't know what could be causing your problem, GRDad. Have you tried messing around with the scrolling settings in the Firefox options > advanced > browsing, menu?

IMO its clean, new, flashy, and interesting because of that. It doesn't appear to actually do anything new, it just changes the look. I don't own the operating system though, but I have used it- so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt here. If you ask me though, Vista seems to be little more than a $500 Solitaire upgrade.

I won't be buying it unless I can get the student discount at my university. (I payed $10 for XP pro)

I have heard that a lot of programs still dont work well with vista. Any truth to that?

Unrelated question.. if I wanted to make an image of my HDD in case it fails, how do you do that? (I have XP pro, 80 GB HDD)

Unrelated question.. if I wanted to make an image of my HDD in case it fails, how do you do that? (I have XP pro, 80 GB HDD)

I'm an IT manager by profession so I will say that you mostly get what you pay for. We have some really great corporate apps for mirroring our servers but it is overkill for the average consumer and no doubt out of the price range for most. I backup UrbanPlanet.org's server via FTP each evening to a home built server in my home. That drive is backed up to an external hard drive via the following utility:

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

I will say that I recommend this little piece of software as it is free and it gets the job done. It even e-mails me when the backup job has been completed and notifies me of any errors (and even software upgrades for the program!). True mirroring is typically overkill for situations in homes where a backup system like I described above will do just fine.

It only costs 100 bucks to upgrade if you already have XP, or even 2000 i think. But i see what you mean. I looked all over the net to find a theme for XP that looked like Vista, so i could have the eye candy for cheap, but i couldnt find any that didnt require me to buy Window Blinds for $20, and i dont really care enough to pay for it.

Or install a dual booted Ubuntu for free. If you spend a little time with it, you will find that it has plenty of eye candy if that is your desire, and comes with applications that would cost you hundreds if purchased from Microsoft. You can still boot back to windows if need be.

I bought a Lenovo T60p mainly because it is an IBM design and well constructed out of quality components, and I wanted the 15" flexview display as it is one of the best on the market. The non T model Lenovos I am not as happy with. They seem, as you pointed out, not as well built. I would look around at some other alternatives if you are in that market.

vista enterprise. it's basically vista business with an added feature or 2. that's what we got the site license for (i wish it was ultimate).

my laptop is a 2.16 centrino duo with 1 GB and, while it sits at 50% memory usage, i have not noticed any slowness. it's an HP nc8430 laptop. has a 256 MB video card. runs aero just fine.

Cool. We are stuck buying these computers from a local supplier that basically low-bid them with cheap components. I think that is the source of half our problems. In any case, I am hoping it will be a good year or so until we have to roll it out, so long as teh text-book companies don't start requiring it for all of their software!

Not to bring up the Mac vs PC debate, but incompatibility? Go to any retailer (Apple store withstanding,) run down the software aisle and pick out every box that works with a mac. You should be able to carry those in your arms while the aisle will still appear full of Windows-only apps.

Archived