New Laptop/Notebook

monsoon

Kind of an unrelated question, but can anyone recommend a good virus protection program? I bought a Toshiba Satellite with McAfee on it, but reading the licensing agreement, I found the automatically charge your credit card yearly. I don't like this idea, so they are out.

I had Norton antivirus on my previous computer, and had no concerns with them until I stopped renewing my subscription to their virus updates. I did this because I was planning on getting a new computer. A month after I quit renewing, the computer stopped responding to the scanner, then the printer, and finally the mouse. Then the computer just hung up permanently. May have been sheer coincidince, but it made me distrustful of Norton.

Any other good ones out there, or am I stuck with those two choices? And if I am, does Norton bill automatically like McAfee now?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kind of an unrelated question, but can anyone recommend a good virus protection program? I bought a Toshiba Satellite with McAfee on it, but reading the licensing agreement, I found the automatically charge your credit card yearly. I don't like this idea, so they are out.

I had Norton antivirus on my previous computer, and had no concerns with them until I stopped renewing my subscription to their virus updates. I did this because I was planning on getting a new computer. A month after I quit renewing, the computer stopped responding to the scanner, then the printer, and finally the mouse. Then the computer just hung up permanently. May have been sheer coincidince, but it made me distrustful of Norton.

Any other good ones out there, or am I stuck with those two choices? And if I am, does Norton bill automatically like McAfee now?

but don't you need to either install windows on the mac or pay for parallels to do that?

You still need a copy of XP with Parallels as it is just the software that allows it to run alongside OSX. The new version of Parallels is quite intriguing as it allows you to open up a Windows application in a virtualized window without having to switch over to Windows completely to run that app.

Of course you can obtain Apple's Boot Camp for free and if you have a copy of Windows you can dual boot OSX and Windows on your Mac.

regardless of whether you go to a store, even downloadable software has more for windows than macos.

No doubt, but quantity doesn't correlate to quality when it comes to most anything. I'm an IT Manager by trade, and I have been living in a Windows world for a very long time. Our company runs a lot of apps that only come in a flavor for Windows, and with that being said, Apple is way behind for most business purposes unless you are photography studio, cinematic studio, etc.

I'm sure Apple is making strides to increase their business marketshare but for right now it is a Windows/Unix world. With that being said most if not all home users will find the transition from a PC to a Mac doable if not extremely easy. I currently use a Windows machine 90% of the time, the other 10% is my time spent at home on my Apple iBook G4. I purchased it a couple of years ago to try out a Mac. It was my first Mac, unless you count the Apple II+ I have stashed away in my closet for antiquity purposes. :P When the next version of the MacBook Pro is released with Apple's upcoming Leopard OS (OSX 10.5) I will be foregoing all of my Windows usage in lieu of the Mac for all personal purposes. I will say that I will miss a couple of applications available for Windows only such as NewsGator (my adored RSS reader), but there is a lot of great software available for the Mac and some software available only on the Mac that I'm looking forward to. My iBook won't run a lot of what I want at the moment so even though I have a Mac I can't use the software (amazing how fast technology advances!). Enough ranting...the Windows vs. Mac debate could go on forever (and it likely will) but for those looking at switching over to the Mac, I think you'll find that it is easier than you think.

I downloaded the AVG (it took over two hours on dialup), installed it, and its running five by five. I'd run without protection from 91-01, Norton never picked up anything from 01 to June 06, and I've been running the new computer since September, and no viruses were found when I installed AVG. I don't think I'll need it, but it is very nice to have.

Thanks again!

Just being the official tech geek here, be sure to read your software licenses before you go dual-installing windows and Mac OSX on the same machine.

Home editions of Microsoft Windows do not allow it to be ran in virtualized sessions however business versions of the software do allow you to do so, such as the new Vista Business license.

i've said in the past what college i work for. i'll leave it at that.

again, the dialup is only for home use. on campus, it's a fractional T3 (which would equate to broadband speeds). the college is not in the business of providing internet access to people that are not on campus, which the faculty and staff are not when they are at home. we have the dialup as a convenience only and will hopefully be doing away with it in the next couple years. the reason the faculty and staff that use it use it is because they are too cheap to pay $15 a month for DSL.

Archived