Greensboro population down 7% since 2000?

kmurphy19662003

Just picked up a copy of YES! weekly, (the entertainment newspaper that comes out every Wednsday) The editorial was about the doom and gloom Greensboro faces over the next year, and talked about the multiple closings of entertainment and retail establishments downtown. The kicker was the statement that Greensboro has lost over 7% of its population since 2000 and that the downtown condo market was doomed as a result of the population loss. Strange.....someone else please grab a copy and read it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard of erroneous and poor reporting but this takes the cake. Are you familiar with Greensboro? It is not growing at the pace of Raleigh or CLT, however it is still a fast growing place, and is heavy in construction, not to mention Center Pointe, a downtown condo tower project, which seems to go directly against the assertion you mention. These aren't done in markets except where growth and such a demand are present. I read some blurb about a couple of downtown retail closures recently, such as a clothing shop, however this can be expected - GSO's DT traffic is primarilly an evening and weekend thing, some of these shops just weren't a good idea for the market - yet. GSO's retail is still an extradowntown phenom, such as the recently completed upscale Friendly shops, another example of things not built in declining markets.

Greensboro has grown by about 9% since 2000, I fail to see how Yes!, even given poor reporting, could print such errors, the numbers are public and easily found.

It's odd, recently I was called by what I assumed to be a telemarketer, and I must have been in a good mood because I didn't hang up or start in with my usual routine of messing with them, anyway, it turned out to be a pollster at a market data firm, so I happily took the 30 minute survey. Was about advertising on TV, radio, internet, magazines, newspapers and other publications available locally. One of these was YES!, I had never heard of it, now I will have to see if I can find one, where can you pick one up, kmurphy?

It's odd, recently I was called by what I assumed to be a telemarketer, and I must have been in a good mood because I didn't hang up or start in with my usual routine of messing with them, anyway, it turned out to be a pollster at a market data firm, so I happily took the 30 minute survey. Was about advertising on TV, radio, internet, magazines, newspapers and other publications available locally. One of these was YES!, I had never heard of it, now I will have to see if I can find one, where can you pick one up, kmurphy?

According to the US Census fact sheets, both Greensboro and Winston-Salem has lost population. The only difference is the margin of error could cover the loss and add people to W-S's population while Greensboro is showing a much larger drop in population that the margin can't cover.

Interesting, but I don't put a lot of faith in the census bureau estimates. Wait for the actual counts here in just 3 more years....

LOL, you're funny, "Yeah.....read what nowensone said." You've clarified your opinion of what you THINK is happening already. :thumbsup:

I'll rephrase this... I don't think whoever came to the conclusion of Greensboro loosing 7% of population got it from a figment of his imagination, there must have been some explanation... even if the census didn't prove jack.

You are the funny one, sweetcakes. :rofl:

Nowensone and twincity have already proved that this "survey" is full of flaws.....

I think the REAL USA CENSUS will determine the TRUE outcome in 2010.....

Btw, where are you? Do you even live in the Triad? :rolleyes:

ugh.. Sweetcakes? I think you must be the FUNNY one.. now take it for whatever meaning you'd like. So what?! I over looked something leave it at that. When I'm wrong I anticipate correction.. Now that they've pointed it out I understand, no harm done. You, lol now I think its FUNNY that you cocked an attitude when I went against that little comment of yours. Get over yourself, its going to be alright. :rolleyes:

CSP's only point was that a reputable source lists a 2005 estimate of Greensboro's population that would indicate that the city is losing population when compared to the 2000 Census data, and that this is probably where the source in question got its information from; the accuracy of the population estimate is another subject altogether. You don't have to be from the Triad to see the sense in that, nor does it mean that somebody has it out for Greensboro. No need to get sensitive over that.

The dropoff in population may be related to this post which I made 1 year ago. Maybe they are getting ready to release new statistics.

The US Conference of Mayors has released its Metro Economies report on job creation gain/loss. Charlotte by a wide margin continues to lead in job creation NC in both numbers and percentage. Here are the comparisons to the rest of NC.

Change in Metro Employment 2001 - 2004

Metro, Jobs in 2001, Jobs in 2004, Change, Percentage

1. Charlotte, 836.3, 851.4, 15,110, 1.81%

2. Fayetteville, 114.2, 116.2, 1970, 1.72%

3. Wilmington, 118.1, 119.7, 1,640, 1.39%

4. Asheville, 112.2, 113.6, 1,370, 1.22%

5. Raleigh-Durham, 691.0, 697.6, 6,570, 0.95%

6. Jacksonville, 43.5, 42.1, -340,-0.80%

7. Greenville, 69.8, 68.8, -1,020,-1.46%

8. Greensboro, 667.9, 633.9, -33,970,-5.09%

9. Rocky Mount, 70.5, 66.3, -4,210,-5.97%

10. Hickory, 191.4, 168.5, -22,880,-11.96%

Greensboro's loss of 34,000 jobs and Hickory's 23,000 jobs is staggering and I wonder if that is partially responsible for the growth in Charlotte?

This is how Charlotte compared to SC. Note that Myrtle Beach added almost as many jobs as Charlotte even though its job market is 8X smaller.

1. Myrtle Beach, 102.4, 116.5, 14,090, 13.75%

2. Florence, 66.1, 70.1, 4,000, 6.06%

3. Charleston, 255.9, 266.4, 10,510, 4.11%

4. Sumter, 42.3, 42.6, 230, 0.63%

5. Columbia, 311.7, 304.7, -6,950,-2.23%

6. Greenville, 488.8, 470.0, -29,840,-5.97%

Nationally Charlotte ranks 25 of 318 in the nation for job creation during this period. (all metros ranked)

If these numbers are metro counts then that would be accurate in terms of job loss as Thomasville, High Point and other communities have lost a large number of manufacturing type jobs (furniture, textiles, etc.) as is common knowledge, and these are included in the GSO (GSO-HP) metro. GSO lost JP during that period itself, but seems to have felt no ill effects in terms of growth and prosperity.

An interesting trend that may be happening, and to which the Triangle is mostly immune to, but the Triad is not, is CLT siphoning off and/or stealing growth from non-insignificant communities in it's own state.

Here is a website to check out. It is the state demgraphics for North Carolina. Look under municipal estimates

then muni pop/ area series. There you well find the states best estimates for North Carolina cities for the year 2000 and 2005. It shows Greensboro going from around 224,000 in 2000 to around 237,000 in 2005.

I am assuming that Greensboro gained again in 2006 putting it close to 240,000.

Check out this website it has a lot of interesting statistics including projections up to the year 2030.

www.demog.state.nc.us/

Archived