Downtown Days Inn Sold

Prankster

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh thank God! I was just looking at the Days Inn when we were watching the flyover and I was embarrassed. Not only is the building depressing looking, the unkempt landscaping and chained entrances leaves such a warm fuzzy feeling (in the back of your throat). :sick:

Chris Knape talks a little bit more about it HERE. Possibly 16 stories.

According to the article, the St. Julien Partners company purchasing the Days Inn also owns St. Julien Hotel and Spa in Colorado Springs:

julien-2.jpg

r_stjulien_photo_0.jpg

One step back, two steps forward, one step back, two steps forward...

"The new owners are mulling over the possibility of adding the tower to the Days Inn site, which as downtown sites go is fairly land rich." - Chris Knape

He's definitely right about that. Regis shows that the Days Inn land also included the parking ramp. I believe that the ramp has a shared agreement with the Museum Center? Either way, they could probably add on to the building in the lot to the South. Definitely a much taller building would punctuate the Western "gateway" to the city.

346826953_b11a085a03_o.jpg

This news brought a smile to my face instantly. Even if we don't see a 16-story hotel here right away, just having this building renovated and with an owner where there other property is very nice bodes well for this location.

^^ I agree. With or without the 16 story tower, a freshening up of the Days Inn building would do a ton of good for that area of town. I would like to see a reskin consisting of maybe a faux stone foundation look on the first three floors and red bricks up the body of the building with a sand colored stucco at the top floor and crown molding of the same material aound the perapets. I think its time for Sketchup.

Maybe they could build a parking ramp on the existing surface lot with some ground-floor uses, then tear out the existing ramp on the south end of the property and build a mixed-use development. It's right by GVSU so I'm sure something interesting could be done with it. Maybe add some student housing on the upper floors. Maybe they could sell the southern bit to GVSU to build more classroom space.

^^ I agree. With or without the 16 story tower, a freshening up of the Days Inn building would do a ton of good for that area of town. I would like to see a reskin consisting of maybe a faux stone foundation look on the first three floors and red bricks up the body of the building with a sand colored stucco at the top floor and crown molding of the same material aound the perapets. I think its time for Sketchup.

Bob Sullivan.

"I don't want this new hotel built, I can see 10 bridges from my condo now, and when it's built, i'll only be about to see 2.5 bridges."

"I don't want to see the city sell this parking lot (in reference to the gilmore/BOB lot to put their botique hotel..) this city has enough hotels, and we do not need to be adding more." Why Bob, cause your Days Inn sucks?

Good to see a commissioner couldn't forget his personal holdings, while in a public position.

I think some of you are being pretty hard on Sullivan and the Days Inn. I had mechanical trouble with my classic car one night this summer and the Days Inn was my "place of refuge" for about an hour. Lobby didn't look worn out to me (not new by any means), the desk staff very very helpful and the public bathroom in the lobby was neat and CLEAN. IMHO, the condition of the bathrooms tell the real story about a facility. I've stayed in hotels on business that didn't "present" as well.

When this hotel was built, it met and still does meet the need for a less expensive hotel. One has to give Bob credit for meeting that need just as the DeVos / Van Andels met the higher priced need. Not everyone that attends a function at the Devos Center / Amway can or wants to pay Amway Grand prices. I've had holiday brunches in both facilities. Amway, expensive and exotic delicacies, Sully's less expensive and "roast beef & mashed potatoes" fare. It's all what one prefers.

I had to find housing for the National Guard during the windstorm of 98. Even though it was Festival weekend, and rooms were scarce in town, the Days Inn came through with rooms for the troops :thumbsup

Someone posted Bob has done a lot for GR and I agree with that. Although I didn't agree with all his positions, I do respect him for the businessman he is. He's a local person, lived here a long time - not an out of town corporation only concerned with the bottom line (Electrolux anyone :angry: ).

Anybody remember the condition of the old Pantlind before it closed. Now there was a poor reflection on GR. I attended conferences there and and was glad I could go home and sleep in my own house :blink:

A good invester/developer allways has a sharp eye for a need and fills it.

If you want to see what is in GRs future just take a look at other markets

Just a little bigger than GR and see What's hot, then apply it to this market,

If it is not here yet and bingo. Its just that simple.

Archived