Downtown Days Inn Sold

Prankster

Preachin' to the choir buddy. I'm well aware that if another tower is built it will more than likelely be very bland. I'm not expecting anything special.

The comment was made that your rendering looked 'suburban" and you responded that it was because of the parking lots. I just wanted you to realize that it had nothing to do with the parking lots, but rather the architecture.

btw... it's "Avant-garde" and what does David Fairchild have to do with anything? I'm assuming you meant David Childs (he is SOM) or David Chipperfield.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a new version of I what I think should happen to Days Inn. Unlike my previous version. I've decided to wipe the existing Days Inn building and parking ramp and replace it with a completly new building. While I was at it I decided to do some urban beautification on all the area streets and freashen up the Ford Meusum grounds.

Some overview shots. Along with the new hotel. Urban beautification of the area's streets and an addition of a fountain to replace the surface lot on Pearl an Scripner and the addition of triumphal arches rolles out the welcome mat to DT GR.

highangleoverviewlz8.th.jpg

overheadveiwie4.th.jpg

The north face of the new hotel. Old school urban architecture is definatly at play here as this 16 story building looks as if built in the late 1890's to early 1900's The first three stories feature fifteen foot spacings between floors for high ceilings to accomadate the hotels common amenites. The rest of the floors have 12 ft spacings between floordecks to bring up the ceiling hight a bit for open and airy suites.

hotelnorthfacelc4.th.jpg

The south face of the hotel. Notice how the hotel's perapets, trimed with a deep crown molding, is a full story high to mask roof top mechanicals and to add further height to the building. Also notice the drive up entrance's location next to the parking ramp (left) to make quick work of valet parking.

hotelsouthfacenr4.th.jpg

The Parking Ramp. No use having the blandness of a standard parking ramp detracting from this hotel. So like DT's new parking ramps, the hotels ramp is made to resemble a real building.

parkingrampdg5.th.jpg

The west face and atrium. The main feature of this hotel is a large atruim. At 45 ft high GR Dad's water park would easily fit inside. However if thats not GR's cup of tea, the atrium could also serve as a very spacious and will lit ball room. To the left is Pearl Street and one of 2 150' triumphal arches welcoming visitors and citizens to DT in "Grand" style.

westfaceandatriumqx3.th.jpg

For this to really happen, one would need to about 120 - 150 million dollars to build the hotel and about 10 to 20 million dollars and colaboration with the city and the entity that owns the Ford Museum for the urban beautication part of this design.

That atrium was exactly what I was talking about tamias. An indoor waterpark that you can't necessarily tell what it is from the outside.

As for the rest, I think it looks fantastic (obviously biased because you took into account a lot of my ideas). But I like how it is built out to the streets. It's amazing how different and improved that would look. And the gateways at Pearl and at Bridge St. Cool!

I think if there is going to be another large and inexpensive hotel built downtown, this is the spot to do it.

I like the overall concept. I don't really care for the arches. Having any waterpark or ballroom on the highway side is good as those don't tend to have windows anyway. Your building is massive though. Oh, and as I previous mentioned, I'd like to see some street-level activity on the south end by GVSU and maybe a little across from the museum as well. I think that could be a prime little nook in downtown with all the student pedestrian traffic right there.

• 1 month later...
I found myself in the Days Inn today and I found out from the front desk worker that room renovations will begin next month and should be finished in November. Sounds like the lobby and pool area will get a facelift as well. Tremendous news!!!

kind of unrelated but whats the deal with the old days inn on 28th street in Cascade, It went to a La Quinta Inn last summer I think and now its a best western, It seems like they are constantly renevating it too. Personally I think its a bad move, I like the La Quinta brand I stayed at one in Cali and was very impressed, there are no other ones in W. Mi as there are Best Westerns everywhere.

• 1 month later...

I noticed they have new landscaping going in at the Days Inn. :yahoo: Hopefully they'll take that wall with it, and take some of the rusty chains off the parking lot entrances. That has bugged me for a while now. :sick:

489778662_02df637dc7.jpg

RapidGrowth had an update on the renovations last month. Without any public announcements about adding on to the hotel, I don't think we're going to see any major changes soon.

Days Inn going GREEN

• 4 weeks later...

Is it really going to be a branded Days Inn Hotel? The sign just says "Days Hotel".... I do work at D+ but I have no clue about this project, haven't heard anything at all.

Is it possible when they bought it they got rid of the brand but wanted to keep a similar name?

This is the logo from the Days Inn website:

foot_logo_days_inn.gif

Is it really going to be a branded Days Inn Hotel? The sign just says "Days Hotel".... I do work at D+ but I have no clue about this project, haven't heard anything at all.

Is it possible when they bought it they got rid of the brand but wanted to keep a similar name?

This is the logo from the Days Inn website:

foot_logo_days_inn.gif

Archived