Gentrification

gs3

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When new residents move into a "rundown" or neglected area and rehabilitate it, surrounding properties values rise attracting more affluent residents and this continues over and over often displacing the residents that already live in the area but cannot afford the increase in taxes.

I view gentrification in a far less negative light. I consider gentrification to be improving a neighborhood that is run down and not well taken care of. Through the process of gentrification, streets are cleaned up, buildings are renovated, and the area becomes safe and desirable again. :thumbsup:

It's has only started in the West End and I think it will continue to a great degree there. Pendleton West, West End Cottages, new townhomes to be built on Rhett Street are actual residential projects happening in residential areas, rather than the Field House, Brick Street, and Riverplace's locations. I think that the growth in the West End will begin reaching the actual current residents' abodes soon.

Church Street corridor hopefully will take off soon. West Washington is probably the one in the most need of help, though.

I think the Pleasantburg corridor is the next area on the rise. It already has a great master plan, and I think the city is committed to it. We already know about the following:

-improvements to the Palmetto Expo Center

-Fresh Market at the junction of Pleasantburg and Laurens, which will eliminate an eyesore of a hotel (among other things)

-condos across from Bob Jones

-improvements in the Pleasantburg/East North junction (Super Bi-Lo, replacement of old Jeff Lynch building, etc.)

There are several more things I predict are likely for the corridor in the future (hopefully most are not too far off):

-streetscaping

-burying of some/all power lines

-transportation hub near the Expo Center, which will only grow in importance as light rail is implemented

-another hotel or two in the area that caters to convention goers

-Greenville Tech increasing in size (and perhaps becoming a 4-year university at some point)

Although this corridor needs a lot of TLC, it presents a great opportunity in that improvements - no matter how small - will really make an impact. Hopefully, in a few years, the cumulative effect of these changes will make it a "hot" area again and the development will really start to snowball. Thoughts?

Gentrification is not always a good thing, especially if it becomes out of control. But I have come to accept it as a neccesary part of the lifecycle of cities.

I think that the Hampton-Pinkney neighborhood just west of downtown is going to be the next intown hotspot for residential activity. There are so many nice houses there that are screaming for some TLC. If I were looking to move to Greenville I would at least consider that neighborhood.

I totally agree about the Hampton Pinckney area. There are some very nice old homes in this area, and the city is committed quite a bit of time and resources to the area as it is (Pete Hollis Blvd, Redevelopment District Zoning, brick pavers on Mulberry, etc).

I am very high on this area.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived