Triangle in the national media

Didn't get any holiday cards in the mail, but did get the January 2007 issue of Wired. It had "10 top tech towns" on the cover, so I checked to see who made the list.

The area gets mentioned for Red Hat, SAS, the IBM campus and the two World Beer Festivals.

Also making the list (from west to east on their map) -- Seattle, SF Bay, LA, Austin, Pittsburgh, Orlando, DC, NYC and Boston.

I thought the beer festival would make us non-geeky. Oh well.

From what I've seen of "pop" culture, I'm guessing since the beer fest is heavily geered toward "Indy" brands (microbrews, etc), that's what probably gave us points among the geek crowd, who would likely delete points if we instead embraced Budweiser or Coors. :lol:

Edited by RaleighRob

From what I've seen of "pop" culture, I'm guessing since the beer fest is heavily geered toward "Indy" brands (microbrews, etc), that's what probably gave us points among the geek crowd, who would likely delete points if we instead embraced Budweiser or Coors. :lol:

If that's the case then they can go ahead and replace Orlando ( :blink: ) with Portland, Oregon, microbrewery capital of the world.

If that's the case then they can go ahead and replace Orlando ( blink.gif ) with Portland, Oregon, microbrewery capital of the world.

Orlando was definitely the oddball on the list but scored high on having the most craig's list postings. RTP scored high on tech jobs as well as geek to geek personal adds. There may have been a third criteria but can't recall right now.

I just hope this area doesn't become another Atlanta-type clone. The potential is already there. This area is basically a mass sprawling conglomeration of large to large-ish cities all smashed together sharing municipal borders. Sometimes its hard to know where one city stopped and another one began.....unless you look up to see the city limits sign.

It's like people say oh I'm from Atlanta.... Lies, they are really from Decatur or Marietta or Buckhead or College Park or Stockbridge or McDonough.....

In a few years I'm from Raleigh... No, youre from Cary, Wake Forest. Ah well Better gas up the car we are in for a long ride on the jammed interstates. Really are gonna need that high speed rail in a few more years.

But I must admit, it is nice living in one of the most desirable cities in the nation. ;) I've always though Raleigh was IT.

As bad as this sounds for residents of Durham and Chapel Hill (who probably consider themselves the hipper side of the Triangle ;) ), I think more and more people from elsewhere are looking at this area and calling it "Raleigh."

I don't like it, but it's true. As Raleigh grows and grows (I mean, it's bigger than Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Cincinnati) I think it deserves to be regarded synonymously with the metro area. But the area being what it is, I don't imagine Fuquay-Varina and Wake Forest natives telling out-of-towners that they're from "Raleigh," and I think we've got decades to go until folks from the Triangle's other two thirds start calling "Raleigh" home.

Transplants are a different story. If I were from Detroit and moved from got a job at RTP and moved to Morrisville, I'd probably tell my Detroit friends I was going to Raleigh.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a link to the "Best cities for men" off the MSN home page. I usaully don't look at it after checking my hotmail account, but clicked anyway.

They list Raleigh as nubmer 8, and other NC cities further down the list. The criteria alegedly included income, crime, heart disease, and how much guys work out.

I'm sure this would hold true for Peak Fitness and other gyms in the area, but outside of those areas, I don't see too much of a healthy trend around here...

• 3 weeks later...

Once again, the Triangle has taken a top spot on an influential ranking. Does anyone (other than myself) think that these types of rankings actually influences people's decision to move to this area and has a positive impact on the region's national profile?

http://press.hotwire.com/index.php?s=press...es&item=156